Sidearm mid

Golf Discs, Bags, Baskets, Videos, and other Disc Golf Related Equipment

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Sidearm mid

Postby nismo923 » Tue Jul 31, 2012 12:43 am

Hi, I'm trying to figure out a good side arm mid that will still fade. I have been playing about 4-5 months and love the sport. A few weeks back I threw my Star Cro side arm and it went dead straight. I could throw it a mile in the air or nice and low, no matter what, it went straight. I am now looking for a new mid to throw side arm with. I recently got a Star Eagle, and it does what I want it to, just goes to long for some shots. Any recommendations as to what to pick up?
nismo923
Noob

Re: Sidearm mid

Postby discpunk26 » Tue Jul 31, 2012 1:16 am

You are now going to want something over stable. If you like Innova discs, I suggest a Roc, or gator. Something a bit faster that may get the job done would be a whippet. If you are looking for any old disc that is a mid to sidearm, I recommend Wasp, Hornet, Drone, Zone, aftershock, shockwave, demon, blaze, or even just powering down on a good pred, Firebird, or Flick.
discpunk26
Noob

Favorite Disc: firebird

Postby 7ontheline » Tue Jul 31, 2012 7:59 am

I love my Whippet for power fades that I want to skip or power spike hyzers. The Whippet isn't going to flip over easily so I'd be a little concerned that a newer player might have trouble getting it annied enough. Whippets are so overstable that you'll really have to snap it hard to get mid range distance and powering up might not be the best idea for a newer player looking for a control/don't overshoot disc.

If your side arm is straightening out a cro a drone, zone, or gator will have some fade at the end but again they all don't glide very well so more power is required but these are all great for upshots and should fix you blow by with the eagle x ranging problems. I picked up a Ti Wasp, that I haven't practiced a lot with, that goes further than the Drone but needs a little more finesse to flick. Too much arm and not enough wrist snap and it turns fairly easy.

Personally, I use an eagle X to flick longer mid range shots... just a quick little pop is all it takes.
Magic / Judge / PA2 - Tursas / QMS / Buzzz / Mace - QJ / E / F - Renegade / O / D1

JHern wrote:If your putter isn't your favorite disc, get a new putter.
7ontheline
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: Judge

Postby nismo923 » Tue Jul 31, 2012 10:22 am

Thank you for the responses, and they are all along the lines as to what I was contemplating. How would a XXX or something like that do? I know that it is faster, but lacks in glide compared to my Eagle. Like when I flick my Cro, not only will it go straight, but it doesn't fly more than 100-150 feet... With the Eagle though, I can send it 200+ without really even trying.
nismo923
Noob

Postby Jesse B 707 » Tue Jul 31, 2012 11:26 am

Those new star Rancho Rocs are a nice FH mid, you still have to snap it cleanly but they have a nice fade
http://ufosdg.org/
XXX,PD2,BOSS,KATANA,PD,ROC,VP,RATTLER,MAGNET
Jesse B 707
Rocstar

Favorite Disc: ROC

Postby 7ontheline » Tue Jul 31, 2012 11:56 am

XXX should work great for the power thrower's forehand and will hide a lot of release errors as its going to finish right for most beginner RHFHers. IMO, its not necessarily a beginner disc but one (or one like it i.e. Firebird, Predator, C-PD) that you may need as your game develops, play a lot of wind, learn skips, rollers, and overhead shots to round out your game as you get better.

Easy 200' flicks with the Eagle is relatively short for mid range distances. Plastic is too easy to buy then tends to end up sitting in a corner once you've moved on to something you like better. Use the Eagle X for a while or borrow someone else's mids to practice in a field with before opening up your wallet.
Magic / Judge / PA2 - Tursas / QMS / Buzzz / Mace - QJ / E / F - Renegade / O / D1

JHern wrote:If your putter isn't your favorite disc, get a new putter.
7ontheline
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: Judge

Postby Flipflat » Tue Jul 31, 2012 2:32 pm

Try a Zone
I would like your X-Wasps, please.
Flipflat
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: buzzz

Postby Booter » Tue Jul 31, 2012 3:38 pm

alot of fh'ers around here like gators
always looking for:
flat pink/red barstamp buzzzs, ce aviars, pearly pro candy fb's, pearly champion gators (fr or stock stamp),
Booter
Das Boot!

Favorite Disc: square ones

Postby Jewdy » Tue Jul 31, 2012 4:26 pm

Champ gator, FLX Drone, or for something slightly faster Q-Sent. I love my champ Gator for short flick approaches but if you want much D, you really have to lay into it (it can take the power no problem though).
Crank-Destroyers-Patriot-Rival-Firebird-Comets-Fugitive-Zone-Wizards
Jewdy
Noob

Favorite Disc: Wizard

Postby Flick4D » Tue Jul 31, 2012 10:51 pm

It depends on the conditions/hole, and type of shot you prefer throwing, but it's nice to have dependable power-down sidearm skills with eagles/firebirds/teebirds/pd's, etc. and finesse/power skills with mids like buzzzes, wasps/rocs, gators, zones etc.

If you have to throw a standstill shot, and lower power improves your confidence/accuracy, you can't go wrong with flat firebirds, banshees, etc for drivers that will dependably fade.

For mids, beadless star gators are awesome for shots that dependably fade. For me, they come off the hand clean, and even if turned over, come back nicely.
Zones are awesome, too, though they work different lines. I'd recommend both highly. Flat ESP's for Zones. If you throw a lot of sidearm approaches, they'll both have their place in your bag, for different lines/distances/situations.

I'm talking about throwing all of these with a two-finger, stacked power grip, FYI.
If you're throwing with a split/fan/whatever you want to call it, 2-finger grip, everything will come off cleaner, and fly more overstable, with better touch, less speed, and you can get nice fade out of more neutral mids like Buzzzes. Personally, when it comes down to singles play, meaningful strokes in tournaments, etc. finesse is harder to come by, and the Zone and Gator see a lot of action : )
Flick4D
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: Star Destroyer

Postby nismo923 » Tue Jul 31, 2012 11:23 pm

It seems like he general consensus is a Gator. I'm not to sure how I feel about it though. I was throwing my dad's Glow Roc earlier this evening and I absolutely hated it. It was probably the most uncomfortable disc I have ever held. I want a disc that I can stand still and throw 200 feet and go through my normal routine. I have a moderate amount of snap, and I'm pretty sure the majority of it is coming from my wrist due to years of drumming.
nismo923
Noob

Postby Flick4D » Tue Jul 31, 2012 11:41 pm

I cannot recommend a champ. gator with a bead, but a beadless star gator, you will not regret.
Same goes for a flat ESP Zone.

Flat Z Wasps also feel great to me, as far as beaded mids. Much better feel than Rocs, IMO, for sidearm shots.
Flick4D
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: Star Destroyer

Postby nismo923 » Tue Jul 31, 2012 11:59 pm

What about anything from Lat 64? I love their Opto plastic. I'm not against other brands though. Brand doesn't matter to me as long as it feels good in hand and does what it's supposed to do. I will not use DX plastic or anything like it though. My home course is practically in a forest and DX just does not hold up.
nismo923
Noob

Postby ladysmanfelpz » Wed Aug 01, 2012 12:16 am

Everyone is saying gator and I couldn't agree more. Consensus is champ run, but I have dx with a bead and love it. Perfect forehand mid. Can take the power too. Friend has a flx drone which is a very good forehand mid.
ladysmanfelpz
Noob

Favorite Disc: Pro Starfire

Postby money 21 » Wed Aug 01, 2012 9:25 am

Flipflat wrote:Try a Zone

X2 this is the best fh mid out there IMO.
Sole, Summit, ridge, vp, ibex, obex, trak, ascent, unlace, lace, olace, solace,
i have seen monkey sh!t fights at the zoo more orginized then this.
money 21
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: Z XS

Next

Return to Equipment