Sidearm mid

Golf Discs, Bags, Baskets, Videos, and other Disc Golf Related Equipment

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Re: Sidearm mid

Postby nismo923 » Wed Aug 01, 2012 10:45 am

Any other good options other than the Zone or the Gator? More than anything, the only reason I'm asking is because I can't find either one of those in a color/weight that I want. I know, that sounds cheesy, but I'm picky when it comes to my discs. They have to look good, even if I can't throw them right.
nismo923
Noob

Postby Jesse B 707 » Wed Aug 01, 2012 11:02 am

The Pain is a beefy mid...I've never personally thrown one, but hey...it comes in pretty opto plastic. I actually use my VP for the shot you're describing and my FH upshot/get out of trouble game is as good as anyone I've seen. (too bad the rest of my game is mediocre)
http://ufosdg.org/
XXX,PD2,BOSS,KATANA,PD,ROC,VP,RATTLER,MAGNET
Jesse B 707
Rocstar

Favorite Disc: ROC

Postby nismo923 » Wed Aug 01, 2012 11:08 am

Jesse B 707 wrote:The Pain is a beefy mid...I've never personally thrown one, but hey...it comes in pretty opto plastic. I actually use my VP for the shot you're describing and my FH upshot/get out of trouble game is as good as anyone I've seen. (too bad the rest of my game is mediocre)

What is a VP? Sorry for sounding like a doof, just never heard of one.
nismo923
Noob

Postby Jesse B 707 » Wed Aug 01, 2012 11:13 am

It's a super overstable putter made by Vibram, it may not be long enough for your needs but I have no problem placing mine on a dime in the 100 to 200' range on fh approaches
Jesse B 707
Rocstar

Postby nismo923 » Wed Aug 01, 2012 11:21 am

Ah. Just found one. I think that it may be shorter than what I am looking for though. Does anyone have any input on forehanding a Wizard?
nismo923
Noob

Postby money 21 » Wed Aug 01, 2012 11:43 am

demon will work as well.
Summit, money, vp, flying squirrel, ibex, obex, sharp shooter #2, trak, ascent, seacert weapon, vulture, unlace, lace, olace, solace, Prometheus
i have seen monkey sh!t fights at the zoo more orginized then this.
money 21
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: Z XS

Postby Jesse B 707 » Wed Aug 01, 2012 12:47 pm

nismo923 wrote:Ah. Just found one. I think that it may be shorter than what I am looking for though. Does anyone have any input on forehanding a Wizard?

Yes, I do it all the time, it won't be nearly as stable or long as you want it to
Jesse B 707
Rocstar

Postby andrewdouse » Wed Aug 01, 2012 1:49 pm

MVP Vector, I'm loving mine. A bit longer than my Gator and maybe a bit less effort, but then again I get good results from my ion as well.
andrewdouse
Noob

Favorite Disc: mako

Postby JR » Wed Aug 01, 2012 7:21 pm

Zone is a putter but so fast that it looks like a mid in flight then crashes hard far to the side at putter distances. Pig is a great FH putter and Buzzz in premium plastics except the domier examples is great for straighter shots and Gator is supacool for hooks. Although the Zone is almost as long just faster hooking.
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Favorite Disc: About to ace

Postby Flipflat » Wed Aug 01, 2012 7:36 pm

Prod D Zone aint bad either, after a few months of use it's straight but still has some fade to it.
I would like your X-Wasps, please.
Flipflat
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: buzzz

Postby JR » Wed Aug 01, 2012 8:02 pm

Yes ans it is a matter of preference if you want something that works right away like the Gator or a rotation of discs that need beating in the become the best they are. It is easier to accomplish with work horse mids are drivers than with utility discs.
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Favorite Disc: About to ace

Postby nismo923 » Wed Aug 01, 2012 10:49 pm

A lot of good stuff here guys. Thank you very much. I have learned though through some feeling of discs, I do not want a bead at all, they are very uncomfortable in the hand. I want something that I don't have to work hard to make it do what it is already supposed to do. I also don't want to have a rotation of discs as well. I want something that will do what I want it to do right out of the box. I have thought about maybe going with a Lat 64 Pain in a max weight to add a little more overstability. If it's worth anything, I love the way a fairway driver feels in hand. The rim is the perfect size for people with tiny hands.
nismo923
Noob

Postby hyzerhook » Thu Aug 02, 2012 1:20 am

Lately I have been really liking Discraft's Hornet as a beefy sidearm mid. It can hold a straight line and fade at the end, or I can even throw it with a decent amount of anhyzer with confidence that it will fade back in a nice helix.
hyzerhook
Noob

Favorite Disc: shark

Postby Mark Ellis » Thu Aug 02, 2012 8:23 am

nismo923 wrote:A lot of good stuff here guys. Thank you very much. I have learned though through some feeling of discs, I do not want a bead at all, they are very uncomfortable in the hand. I want something that I don't have to work hard to make it do what it is already supposed to do. I also don't want to have a rotation of discs as well. I want something that will do what I want it to do right out of the box. I have thought about maybe going with a Lat 64 Pain in a max weight to add a little more overstability. If it's worth anything, I love the way a fairway driver feels in hand. The rim is the perfect size for people with tiny hands.

An overstable mid is sort of like a bicycle with training wheels. It works but is limiting.

Overstable discs have their place. An important place at that because nothing fights strong winds like an overstable disc can. But for shaping lines in normal wind conditions an overstable disc is limiting. An overstable disc has its own agenda. It is always going to hyzer out as it slows down. If that hyzering happens to follow the flight path you desire, so be it. If you need it to do something else, too bad for you because it is still hyzering out.

A stable (straight flying) disc can be more competently manipulated to bend lines.

Learning a touch is an advanced skill whether it be forehand or backhand. I think forehands are the more difficult of the two to master, having a smaller margin of error. So as players begin to learn forehand mids the "training wheels" of an overstable disc are useful. But keep in mind the limitations of an overstable mid and the long term goal to learn how to bend lines with a straight disc.

I carry 4 or 5 mids in my bag. All of them are Buzzzes in different degrees of stability . None of them are very overstable. Short of big headwinds I don't want or need an overstable mid, so while I have Zones and Wasps in my throwing stock, they sit in my trunk until needed.

nismo923 doesn't want a rotation of discs. I can't imagine why not. Any disc you know and love and works well for you needs to be in a rotation. You want variations and back ups. Every disc will change over time and any disc can become lost.

So learn and throw those crazy overstable mids. Just realize the long term goal should be to wean yourself off of them and learn clean, true lines.

Btw, if anything flies truer than a Buzzz for this shot I have yet to find it.
Mark Ellis
The Big Fundamental

Favorite Disc: Rattler

Postby Jewdy » Thu Aug 02, 2012 9:12 am

If you want something like a more overstable buzzz without a bead (wasp is an overstable buzzz with a bead), check out a SP Aftershock. They aren't in the Gator, Drone, Zone overstability range but definitely wont flip on you. The real question is, are you looking for an overstable utility mid or a go to flick mid?
Crank-Destroyers-Patriot-Rival-Firebird-Comets-Fugitive-Zone-Wizards
Jewdy
Noob

Favorite Disc: Wizard

PreviousNext

Return to Equipment