Learning from _________

Disc Golf Talk

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Learning from _________

Postby Shoestrings » Wed Aug 01, 2012 7:31 am

Question. I'm on my way to the BHMO in Columbus and started thinking of all of the former players on the pro circuit who've taught me how to elevate my game. Honestly, who are the pros today that you'd love to learn from today? Name the technique (drive, putt, etc.) and the player. And......go
"To the furthering of the disc..." Will Schusterick
http://facebook.com/Schusterick
Shoestrings
Noob

Favorite Disc: :)

Re: Learning from _________

Postby Dusty5150 » Wed Aug 01, 2012 7:52 am

Rollers, by Joe Mela.

See ya in Columbus!
Dusty5150
Noob

Favorite Disc: Tracker

Postby vto » Wed Aug 01, 2012 9:18 am

I'd love to learn your super smooth backhand driving technique :) My putt is somewhat similar to Nikko's pendulum putt, so I'd love to get some putting pointers from him. And Big Jerm's forehand looks so effortless, I'd love to hear how he does it.
Quasar, Nuke, Predator, Orion LF, Orion LS, Roc, Comet, Sinus AP, Pure
vto
Noob

Favorite Disc: Orion LF

Postby money 21 » Wed Aug 01, 2012 9:23 am

Mark Ellis fh rollers. I have started addind them to my game with some success but not many around here throw them so don't have anyone to learn from.
Summit, money, vp, flying squirrel, ibex, obex, sharp shooter #2, trak, ascent, seacert weapon, vulture, unlace, lace, olace, solace, Prometheus
i have seen monkey sh!t fights at the zoo more orginized then this.
money 21
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: Z XS

Postby Jesse B 707 » Wed Aug 01, 2012 9:47 am

I'd like to learn how to break the 360'/380' barrier from....anyone who could teach me.
http://ufosdg.org/
XXX,PD2,BOSS,KATANA,PD,ROC,VP,RATTLER,MAGNET
Jesse B 707
Rocstar

Favorite Disc: ROC

Postby Pwingles » Wed Aug 01, 2012 10:23 am

Combination mid attack by you and MJ imo
Pwingles
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: Gwoove

Postby Timko » Wed Aug 01, 2012 10:24 am

Mela for rollers is pretty good.

Nikko's putting routine looks pretty solid as well and I'd love to get more comfortable with that.

I'd like to talk to one of the Jarvis' about driving honestly. Ken and I are about the same height and build, and I'd love to talk to someone who doesn't have giant arms for leverage.

Oh, and I'd love to just pick Dave's brain and talk about mechanics. He's someone who has developed a lot of ideas instead of just a throw.
jsun3thousand wrote:Disc golfers are holding the sport back.
Timko
Like Angels Kicking Ass in your Mouth

Postby inthedrift » Wed Aug 01, 2012 12:52 pm

I'd like to learn how to throw faaaar like you Will
inthedrift
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: Firebird

Postby Timko » Wed Aug 01, 2012 1:21 pm

Hey Will, what's your training history? I assume you initially picked up the game from people in your hometown, but developed more as you started going on tour?
jsun3thousand wrote:Disc golfers are holding the sport back.
Timko
Like Angels Kicking Ass in your Mouth

Postby seabas22 » Wed Aug 01, 2012 6:10 pm

There's a ton of guys I'd love to learn from especially the shorter guys that are not leverage mutants. Ricky and yourself make those looong putts look so easy, it blows my mind. McBeast and Johnny Sias on putting. Brinster, GG, Wiggins Jr, Ken or Marc Jarvis, would be really cool for driving.
seabas22
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: thunderbird

Postby JR » Wed Aug 01, 2012 6:33 pm

You for flexibility in drives=smoothness=biiiig D. Eric McCabe to polish off drives>huuuge D from such a small package means great form and power so i'd like to have his cross training ideas and since he coached Paige Pierce to become a world champ and toss 480' at worlds distance competition she should have in memory what were the keys for her to master so much D from such a small package. Jarvises for the same reason. I've heard good things about Sias but have only seen him toss on video from the 90s and it looked inefficient. You again for approaches. I filmed you in Tali open 2011 hitting from the DZ on the bunker hole and i'm glad that my hands didn't shake so much that i didn't drop the camera :-) And on the 700' right corner right after the tee island hole you smashed the chains from way too far away :-) insane sights thanks and congrats on those. The videos are up on Youtube on channel lcgm8. It is good to hear about smoothness from old skool players too.

I've already gotten forehand coaching from Ville Piippo and i'd like to get hands on coaching from big Jerm despite him replying to my questions on Disc golf Talk Radio. Rollers from Mela, Locastro and Greenwell. Everything from Greenwell and Climo. I've already attended a clinic from Feldy and shot two slo mo videos with Avery but it would be great to sit down with them and pick their brains for D and snap plus efficiency of form and how they measured their throws in uni with the motion capture equipment and see the data. The videos are on channels lcgm8 and mfranssila.

If my shoulder could take overhand shots i'd pick Piippo's head. So far i've only looked at his form. Javelin thrower can't be bad and over 500' tommies speak for themselves. Putting hmm. i guess it's always good to pick the brains of everyone but i'm ok there as it is.

Nikko for consistency. He came about 10 minutes early to a round at SDGO 2010 and threw almost everything in his bag into a tunnel parking most of them. Those were the first shots of the day for him. So shooting well cold could definitely be a boost to anyone.

Even though Brodie Smith ain't an active disc golfer i'd like to hear his perspective to DG from an Ultimate players position and his views about smoothness.
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Favorite Disc: About to ace

Postby Mark Ellis » Wed Aug 01, 2012 8:13 pm

I would like to take a backhand lesson from Blake T.

Whenever you run into a genius you should give him a chance.
Mark Ellis
The Big Fundamental

Favorite Disc: Rattler

Postby Jesse B 707 » Wed Aug 01, 2012 10:32 pm

Mark Ellis wrote:I would like to take a backhand lesson from Blake T.

This.
http://ufosdg.org/
XXX,PD2,BOSS,KATANA,PD,ROC,VP,RATTLER,MAGNET
Jesse B 707
Rocstar

Favorite Disc: ROC

Postby sunspot » Thu Aug 02, 2012 8:27 am

Jesse B 707 wrote:
Mark Ellis wrote:I would like to take a backhand lesson from Blake T.

This.
sunspot
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: Trash Lid

Postby chainchaser » Thu Aug 02, 2012 10:56 am

How to throw a roc 400ft. from you!!, Learn technique from dave! and finally someone i think is great at putt's but not given enough credit for it, is Paul McBeth, Side arm from jeremy koling or sarah hokom. I really could go on and on.

Jesse B 707 wrote:I'd like to learn how to break the 360'/380' barrier from....anyone who could teach me.

^^^^^THIS!!!!
chainchaser
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: Surge SS

Next

Return to General Discussion