Sidearm mid

Golf Discs, Bags, Baskets, Videos, and other Disc Golf Related Equipment

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Re: Sidearm mid

Postby butter » Thu Aug 02, 2012 9:16 am

I can agree with the buzzz as an absolutely awesome forehand mid. It feels great in the hand and is really easy to get a clean release. Flies whatever line you put it on.

I also carry a flx drone and a Dx gator. The drone I rarely use but its saved me many strokes when I've needed some weird get out of trouble shot where ridiculous overstability really helps out. It doesn't even want to fly flat, always wants to hyzer. The gator is turning into my go to approach FH or BH when it HAS to finish hard. It will fly nice and straight 85% of the shot, but has a super hard finish that I can't get from a buzz. I also don't have to worry about over throwing it as much as the buzz. Sometimes the buzz just keeps on going, which is more my fault than anything. The gator has just been more dependable for me at the 170-200' range.

Can't stand the roc as a forehand mid either.
butter
Noob

Favorite Disc: Dx EX

Postby AcesAZ » Thu Aug 02, 2012 10:27 am

Ive been messing around with my M Sentinel as a forehand disc. I really only throw a forehand when I have to though, my backhand is far superior.
AcesAZ
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: Shark

Postby nismo923 » Thu Aug 02, 2012 1:06 pm

A lot more great information guys, and thank you so much for your input. I'm still not quite sold on the Gator, especially now that it sounds like the newer ones are beaded. The reason I'm against a rotation of discs is due to the fact that I'm still searching for that "right" disc for each category of disc. Once I find that "right" set, then I will be more than happy of having a stack of each of those molds. For some reason, I'm really leaning towards the Lat 64 Trident and the Lat 64 XXX. It may be due to the plastics that they come in, or just the crazy amount of overstability they posses, but that's the direction I'm leaning. If it's a dumb move on my behalf, please call me out on it and show me the right way to go about it. I'm still new to this sport and rather easy to be swayed by people that have more of a background in this than I do. Thanks again for all of your help, can't wait to see what else you guys have to say.
nismo923
Noob

Postby Drowsy » Thu Aug 02, 2012 6:51 pm

I find it strange that you asked a question, got 3 pages of responses, and ended up choosing 2 discs nobody suggested. I mean.. Why even ask?
B!tch out + Pitch out =]
Drowsy
Noob

Favorite Disc: Buzzzzz

Postby nismo923 » Thu Aug 02, 2012 11:19 pm

Drowsy wrote:I find it strange that you asked a question, got 3 pages of responses, and ended up choosing 2 discs nobody suggested. I mean.. Why even ask?

I have chose nothing yet, and I may not choose anything either. I love the Opto plastic, and figured that either of those discs fit the overstability bill. That's all. My mind is far from being set on doing anything. I want to figure out the best disc for he job then go from there.
nismo923
Noob

Postby Mike C » Fri Aug 03, 2012 2:58 pm

Well you asked so I will say it: I think you're making a dumb move.

I have a xxx in my bag. When I throw. FH approach shot it's one of the last options I consider. Inside typical approach range (250-100') for a fh shot I would reach for my putter if its on the shorter side and for a longer shot either an Axis or Vector.

The XXX requires so much more force to fly the same distance, and fades really, really hard. I would rather flick my Axis on a hyzer and let it glide out then touch down and stop with control.

I think you'd be a lot better off buying a slightly overstable mid in the class of roc / vector / wasp and learning to throw standstill hyzer flicks. If you can't make a disc like that fade on a 200' shot, much less a neutral mid or putter, ya gots something going on in your throw.

Check out this vid of me flicking the axis and lat 64 fuse...neither being known as a "sidearm mid"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z3FEFoWRIMc&t=1m10s
Mike C
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: Soft Ion

Postby nismo923 » Sat Aug 04, 2012 4:28 pm

Thank you for the information on the XXX, that is very helpful. I still wouldn't mind trying to find a more overstable mid though. Maybe not Trident overstability, but something more stable than my Cro. No bead would be great, but if there has to be a bead, it must be small.
nismo923
Noob

Postby Mike C » Sun Aug 05, 2012 6:58 am

Im pretty sure they make a beadless version of the gator. That or check out the gateway warrior...dont remember it having a bead.
Mike C
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: Soft Ion

Postby Jesse B 707 » Sun Aug 05, 2012 6:30 pm

Mike C wrote:Im pretty sure they make a beadless version of the gator. That or check out the gateway warrior...dont remember it having a bead.

The star gator used to be the L mold but no longer. I'd say learn to deal with a bead.
http://ufosdg.org/
XXX,PD2,BOSS,KATANA,PD,ROC,VP,RATTLER,MAGNET
Jesse B 707
Rocstar

Favorite Disc: ROC

Postby Flipflat » Sun Aug 05, 2012 9:25 pm

Zones don't have a bead, just sayin
I would like your X-Wasps, please.
Flipflat
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: buzzz

Postby money 21 » Sun Aug 05, 2012 10:10 pm

demons don't have a bead.
Summit, money, vp, flying squirrel, ibex, obex, trak, ascent, unlace, beeline, lace, olace, Prometheus
i have seen monkey sh!t fights at the zoo more orginized then this.
money 21
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: Z XS

Postby Jewdy » Mon Aug 06, 2012 9:33 am

Jesse B 707 wrote: I'd say learn to deal with a bead.

This. It might feel strange at first but some of the best discs have beads. It would be a shame to never be able to bag a beaded disc and if you are going to learn to deal with it at some point, why not now.
Crank-Destroyers-Patriot-Rival-Firebird-Comets-Fugitive-Zone-Wizards
Jewdy
Noob

Favorite Disc: Wizard

Postby Colin » Tue Aug 07, 2012 9:30 am

I guess I don't understand the problem with beads. Especially forehanding. Is it hanging up somehow or do you just not like the look of it?
Colin
Noob

Favorite Disc: Predator

Postby nismo923 » Tue Aug 07, 2012 9:39 am

The problem I have with the bead is that I'm not able to apply any pressure on the top plate because it digs into my pointer finger knuckle. So because of this, I get terrible releases and the disc flies terribly.
nismo923
Noob

Postby Pwingles » Tue Aug 07, 2012 11:08 am

Stable-slightly OS options
C-MD2
Heavier Z Buzz
Vector

Slightly OS-OS
Pain
Wasp
Sentinel

Very OS-
Drone
Zone
Demon

All beadless and broken down into what category they fall under, all come in some form of premium or midgrade plastic, all will be more OS than a cro (star or dx im assuming, never thrown a champ cro)

Imo, if you like the cro, the feel and shape of the disc specifically, you'll probably like the zone or drone.

I think you should experiment more with your cro and see what you can do with it before you handicap yourself by throwing a disc that does the work for you and never really teaches you how to perform the shot on your own.
Pwingles
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: Gwoove

PreviousNext

Return to Equipment