First footage of Indy's stand still throws

Post your videos for Critique/Comment etc..

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

First footage of Indy's stand still throws

Postby Indy's broken whip » Thu Aug 02, 2012 3:35 am

I threw these yesterday, the side view throws looked pretty good, expect the last two with putters, both turned heavily to right. Also the Champion TeeBird was quite high and thus faded hard at the end. The back view throws were much worse. All critique is more than welcome.

Back view

Side view (different throws obviously)

After the side view throws battery died, so I couldn't shoot any throws with a run-up, which I don't usually use, as my run-up is so bad. I'll try to take some footage of those also, so somebody can tell me what I'm doing wrong there. I'm guessing at least big timing issues and weight on the back foot.

I'm not very good at seeing anything from the videos, but I there seems that I have more nose up problems that I have though. From the back view it looks like I might be pulling in an arc at the end? And obviously I'm pulling too early. Actually after these throws, I practiced a bit with putters, and when I got the late enough pull to so that the putters didn't turn hard, I managed to replicate the similar late pull with other discs and they flew much nicer than usually (although not longer). I also started my pulling more closer to the waist instead of shoulder height, which could be part of the reason also. It seems that there's less nose up problems then, but in some cases I seem to crash mid range disc to the ground after 10 meters...
Indy's broken whip
Noob

Re: First footage of Indy's stand still throws

Postby cubeofsoup » Thu Aug 02, 2012 9:32 am

You need to get off your back foot. You are leaning too far back. Your weight should be pivoting about your front heel, currently you are pivoting somewhere between your feet.

For nose down check out grip, especially the part about thumb forward:http://www.discgolfreview.com/resources/articles/gripittoripit.shtml
cubeofsoup
Tree Magnet

Postby JR » Thu Aug 02, 2012 11:47 pm

I don't know of any clubs that give lessons as a regular thing in central Finland but you could ask the clubs and players close to you or perhaps travel after setting a training date.

You do pull too early with the arm which is preceded by not having the pause. You pivot with both legs too early and then the hips. You can't get the elbow forward with that timing. Therefore you need to not rip at full power initially with the legs and the hips so that your torso is still for a while pointing 90 degrees left of the target so that you can pull the arm from maximum reach back position to elbow forward disc around the right pec area.

Your left leg spins in the pivot instead of pushing forward and then possibly (not mandatory) pivoting with the right leg. Pushing forward is one part of limiting too high stalling shots. Your arm height varies from throw to throw and within each throw. The arm should move at the same height above the ground all of the time. If it doesn't your aiming height varies from hitting the ground at 10 m to high nose up stalls. If you imagine pulling the arm over a horizontal plank you can't drop the arm. Doing that in real life can hurt. So if you can use a large mirror you can see your arm pull height. A crucial thing is to check the height of the reach back position before you throw with a slow imitation throw and pick a clearly visible height aiming point downrange. When you see the target it is easier to aim the height right.

Regarding the way early yanking at full power with the arm: When i catch myself fumbling there i tell myself settle down Beavis. Beavis and Butthead reference. Whatever you need to do to get your self relaxed. If you grit your teeth or tense up in the cheeks before the throw stop. Turn away from the target and start the pre throw routine over. You must be relaxed and loose and not tight and trying to rip hard in the beginning before you have the physique of an athlete like Miko Fyhr.

You don't twist the hips to the right of neutral position in the throw. You twist to the left in the reach back but the same motion is missing in the place where it adds to the speed where it is needed.
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Favorite Disc: About to ace

Postby Indy's broken whip » Fri Aug 03, 2012 12:58 am

Thank you very much, it seems that I have lot's of practicing to do (not really suprised...).

As there is so many aspects wrong in my throw, I'm wondering what would be the order of fixing them? I mean for example should I be more concerned about the weight shift and the pivot instead of the elbow chop?

I'm also thinking that is it a good idea to keep throwing stand still, or would relaxed x-step actually help in getting the legs work properly?
Indy's broken whip
Noob

Postby Indy's broken whip » Fri Aug 03, 2012 1:41 am

Been reading zillions of threads on the technique forum, I think best thing for me would be to work on the stationary right pec drill for a while. I have tried it before, but never got the proper feeling, I usually ended up spraying the disc to the right and to the ground after less than 20 meters or so...
Indy's broken whip
Noob

Return to Video Critique