WHO DAT? OH LAWD is the Latitude 64 Saint

Golf Discs, Bags, Baskets, Videos, and other Disc Golf Related Equipment

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Re: WHO DAT? OH LAWD is the Latitude 64 Saint

Postby Jeronimo » Fri Aug 03, 2012 10:01 am

I think i'm comfortable enough with this disc now to say it really was a great addition to the line. I got to thinking about it while on the course last night, throwing it along side my strikers/visions/rivers, and I realized something; It's the champion sidewinder of latitudes line up. I was reminded of a time when I was infatuated with Teebirds. I had just learned them fluently, enamored by their stability and ability to fly a frozen rope for a very long distance while still feeling wonderfully comfortable in my grip. Then I tried the Sidewinder in champion plastic and while initially frustrated, I endeavored to learn to throw the disc and in doing so opened my eyes to all varieties of turnover and hyzer flip shots (for corners, etc...). Between the two I felt unstoppable. Teebirds were accurate and predictable. Sidewinders taught me the dogleg left (RHBH) hyzer flip and carry shot and netted me some of the easiest distance in calm conditions I'd ever seen. It had been stated to me that if you couldn't throw a Sidewinder, you didn't know how to truly throw a disc, and I whole heartedly believe that statement.

Fast forward to my L64 days: Strikers remain the king of fairway workability in the latitude line up, Saints jump into that spot where you may want a big hyzer flip or loooooong turnover shot. Initially I wanted a new Teebird, but that's definitely not what this disc is - and that's a good thing. My only frustration is that in practical applications I would probably just reach for a River instead. I really feel like its a faster River, and that... I'm not sure is such a good thing. There is overlap for sure and you could make a case there is room to carry both, but in a minimalist setting you don't need to.

Bottom line is, it's another option and options are good things. They allow you to construct your bag to your likings. As for me, i'll carry one but I don't know if i'll keep reaching for it once the novelty wears off. Also, there's definitely still room for a Gazelle/Teebird-ish disc in latitudes line up so we've still got something to look forward to. Here's to hoping for slower drivers.
I am dumb.

...and a drama queen.
Jeronimo
Disc Whore

Favorite Disc: Pure

Postby turso » Fri Aug 03, 2012 2:10 pm

And that is exactly what made me pull the trigger on getting PDs... I was hoping for a more stable fairway to compliment the Striker and the River, but instead I got a tweener between the two. Don't get me wrong, I think the Saint is a magnificent disc, but just not what I was looking for.
Frank Delicious wrote:Every groove is a unique snowflake of suck.

NOS, PD, River, Roc3, Comet, Trident, Mercy, JOKERi, XXX
turso
Steward Turkeylink: This ranks means I can't read or follow basic directions

Favorite Disc: FR Roc3

Postby NoLifeLeft » Fri Aug 03, 2012 5:10 pm

Jeronimo, how would you compare it to the old not-so-flippy run of Opto Visions?
NoLifeLeft
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: a whole bag of 'em

Postby Jeronimo » Fri Aug 03, 2012 10:40 pm

NoLifeLeft wrote:Jeronimo, how would you compare it to the old not-so-flippy run of Opto Visions?

Saint: Faster, longer, flippier by like -1.5HSS
I am dumb.

...and a drama queen.
Jeronimo
Disc Whore

Postby NoLifeLeft » Sat Aug 04, 2012 5:58 am

Thanks. I might still try one but at least now I'll know not to get my hopes up.

And on those Sidewinder comparisons, I'm assuming you're talking about the old Champ SW. The last couple of Champ Sidewinders I purchased were crazy stable (for a Sidewinder).
NoLifeLeft
1000 Rated Poster

Postby Jeronimo » Sat Aug 04, 2012 1:08 pm

NoLifeLeft wrote:I'm assuming you're talking about the old Champ SW. The last couple of Champ Sidewinders I purchased were crazy stable (for a Sidewinder).

Yeah, the old 10/11x champion era. It was stiffer stuff than what they're offering today.
I am dumb.

...and a drama queen.
Jeronimo
Disc Whore

Postby turso » Sat Aug 04, 2012 1:39 pm

champ winders are that stable?

turso

Postby ForeverBlue232 » Sat Aug 04, 2012 5:54 pm

Jeronimo wrote:Also, there's definitely still room for a Gazelle/Teebird-ish disc in latitudes line up so we've still got something to look forward to. Here's to hoping for slower drivers.

The idea of an Opto Gazelle makes me moist. :shock:
JimW wrote:If the answer isn't PD you asked the wrong question.

**Flow**Northman**Amp**PD**Stag**Drone**Wasp**Mace**Suspect**Tangent**Anode**
ForeverBlue232
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: PD

Postby NoLifeLeft » Sun Aug 05, 2012 12:05 am

turso wrote:champ winders are that stable?

The last few I bought, yes. On a clean throw they wouldn't turn until almost 400' of power was applied. They would hold an anny nicely but required a beating for a turnover to be possible. Crazy straight on a clean pull when new.
NoLifeLeft
1000 Rated Poster

Postby turso » Sun Aug 05, 2012 2:35 am

yeah, that sounds close enough to saint stability then.

turso

Postby JR » Sun Aug 05, 2012 4:58 am

I went shopping on Wednesday and haven't found an unoccupied area since and was throwing pulled power shots in the wind. I talked to the shopkeeper and based on that got a 167 GL because it is supposed to be straighter than Eagles. There are Sidewinder characteristics in this disc. I bought one Star last season after hearing they are more HSS now than before. I hope that there are 0 HSS 1 fade Champ Sidewinders. How do you recognize them?

My Saint ain't a wind disc unless it comes from behind. I need to throw it in calm conditions but it didn't seem any more HSS compared tho my GL and Opto Rivers. Fade is more but not Eagle like to me. OTOH Eagles vary a lot with some Stars being monster piggy and some Teebirdish in LSS. Glide is there but again the wind made it difficult to assess. I have no trouble believing it glides more than the River but can't confirm from personal experience yet. The Saint is an interesting disc and it has a lot of competition so maybe the glide is the only way with which it can distinguish itself favorably. It is way faster and longer for me than any Eagle i've tried though. And i do have a 149 Eagle.
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Favorite Disc: About to ace

Postby turso » Sun Aug 05, 2012 9:32 am

Saint doesn't glide as well as the river in my experience, but it's not far off. And yeah it certainly ain't a wind disc, unless it's tailwind as you specified.

turso

Postby JR » Sun Aug 05, 2012 10:40 pm

I need to test in totally calm conditions but it may be a matter of semantics as well. To me the Saint didn't start to drop detectably that much earlier than the River but it did. The difference comes from the faster flight of the Saint making it go farther overall. For me the River holds the altitude for a longer percentage of the flight. But this observation comes from throwing wrecked yesterday. While i did get the Saint fairly far out i actually didn't manage to throw it farther than the River record for me. The Saint faded out low powered but so would the River concerning max D. That is because i can almost keep the River straight at full power so it is a personal issue. I need to throw the Saint more to see what i can really do with it and how it compares to the River exactly.
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Favorite Disc: About to ace

Postby linkinparkervii » Sun Aug 12, 2012 6:55 am

I really want to learn this disc. Ive had some great throws, and some not so great throws. I know that my form is not the best/consistent but the throws i did have it flew like my beat s-pd. Some turn and a good fade.
linkinparkervii
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: Gold Line Core

Postby ForeverBlue232 » Thu Aug 16, 2012 11:22 pm

I finally got a chance to throw a couple Saints. I was impressed. Like Linkin, my form is not too good. But I felt like the Saint flew like a barely thrown P-PD but just that it's premium plastic. I do think the Saint is slightly shorter than the P-PD. I don't know how much of this is due to me not being all that used to the Saint yet. I'll give them a chance, but it would be really hard to kick the P-PD out of my bag.
JimW wrote:If the answer isn't PD you asked the wrong question.

**Flow**Northman**Amp**PD**Stag**Drone**Wasp**Mace**Suspect**Tangent**Anode**
ForeverBlue232
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: PD

PreviousNext

Return to Equipment