question for the eagle throwers out there

Golf Discs, Bags, Baskets, Videos, and other Disc Golf Related Equipment

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

question for the eagle throwers out there

Postby dehaas » Tue Aug 07, 2012 3:13 pm

as i've been cleaning up my form i've found that i grab for my pds and swords more often than anything else and most of my others drivers are just wasting space in the bag. i like both of these molds because i feel i can shape lines with them pretty well, and a combination of weights and plastic an cover a variety of shots. i've tried a handful of fairway drivers in the past and haven't really clicked with any in particular. i thought the saint was going to be the disc i was after, and i enjoy throwing it in the field, but i seem to grab the pd or sword over it when it counts. so i guess the question is, what combinations of eagles do you guys use in the bag? just by taking a quick look online it looks like the L mold is getting pretty scarce. ideally i'd like one for controlled turnovers (holds the line to the ground), one for straight to slight hyzerflip, and one meathook. would it be worth it to mix L and X molds, or just different weights on X molds? how does the stability of the X mold compare in champ or star? are there any runs to look for in particular or try to stay away from? i'm ok throwing regular plane jane star or 12x plastic...don't need kc pro or ce...just something as consistent as possible.
dehaas
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: wizard

Re: question for the eagle throwers out there

Postby Pwingles » Tue Aug 07, 2012 3:19 pm

Maybe the S-EX/FD combo would be easier to work with out of the box. As for a meat hook, without moving up in speed to recommend FB or pred or w/e. id suggest a flatter champ banshee, same speed as eagle and rim feels very similar.

For minimalism's sake, maybe a few dx eagles instead of FD?
Pwingles
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: Gwoove

Postby dehaas » Tue Aug 07, 2012 3:38 pm

i've had some beefy X molds in the past that flew like firebirds but those may have been freaks of nature. i used to throw the teebird/leopard combo, a variety of jls's, and tinkered with the fd, river, and saint and have always thought of the eagle as the teebirds less cool brother. right now i'm thinking a dx x, mid weight s-ex, and a heavy champ or s-ex...depending on which will be more beefy.
dehaas
Tree Magnet

Postby Jesse B 707 » Tue Aug 07, 2012 6:29 pm

dehaas wrote:i've had some beefy X molds in the past that flew like firebirds but those may have been freaks of nature. i used to throw the teebird/leopard combo, a variety of jls's, and tinkered with the fd, river, and saint and have always thought of the eagle as the teebirds less cool brother. right now i'm thinking a dx x, mid weight s-ex, and a heavy champ or s-ex...depending on which will be more beefy.

This is close to the setup I'd use when I threw Eagles, my champ were always 11x which are WAY stable but if I went back to them now I may just cycle star ones...depending on how beefy the newest champs are.
http://ufosdg.org/
XXX,PD2,BOSS,KATANA,PD,ROC,VP,RATTLER,MAGNET
Jesse B 707
Rocstar

Favorite Disc: ROC

Postby keltik » Tue Aug 07, 2012 7:45 pm

I'm using EX/Leo combo, quite the killer.
keltik
2010 DGR Donator

Favorite Disc: Polecat!! Ò.ó

Postby butter » Wed Aug 08, 2012 9:27 am

keltik wrote:I'm using EX/Leo combo, quite the killer.

I do too

175 S-EX stable, staring to use a 166 S-PD instead though
172 Dx-EX getting nicely beat
172 Dx-EX beat, perfect FH anny disc

169 Pro Leo
159 S-Leo
168 Champ Leo, the beat Dx-Ex has taken this spot

I love the beat Dx-EX, kicked the TB's right out of my bag
butter
Noob

Favorite Disc: Dx EX

Postby dehaas » Wed Aug 08, 2012 12:30 pm

i just tracked down a killer opaque orange champ EL at a local shop, so i'm thinking i'll use that for turnovers, upper 160s SEXs for straight, and max weight champ EX for more overstable shots. i like throwing my turnover shots with anhyzer and have them hold the turn all the way to the ground, so i think the EL will work better than the leopard did when I threw it. not that the leopard was a bad disc, i just think that the eagle might do what i need it to a bit better.
dehaas
Tree Magnet

Postby rooneytunes » Wed Aug 08, 2012 4:38 pm

The last 2 champ ex's I threw weren't all that beefy. Actually, they weren't any more beefy than a fresh star. They were opaque, slightly soft with the flight #'s.
I think seasoning s-ex's is the way to go. I've got an FD alongside my seasoned and fresh s-ex's and that covers pretty much all my fairway needs.
Wraith-Pred-FD-Eagle-XXX-Warship-Fuse-Pure
rooneytunes
Steward Turkeylink: This ranks means I can't read or follow basic directions

Postby zj1002 » Wed Aug 08, 2012 4:42 pm

Kind of off topic but since folks were bringing up the FD I figure I would add something else

I used to throw a QJLS/Eagle-X combo.

I have since switched to Q Polaris LS and FD

The QPLS is basically a speed 6 Eagle-X. They are straight with late fade and workable on a lot of lines like the eagle. My eagles overlapped with the OLF/PD like you were stating. By using the QPLS I get something that will stand apart from the speed 9 drivers.
Omega - QMS - MD2 - QJLS - OLF/S - DD - Scorpius
Tell me and I'll forget; Show me and I may remember; Involve me and I'll understand
zj1002
metroid cannon

Favorite Disc: QMS

Postby Steve » Thu Aug 09, 2012 12:23 pm

zj1002 wrote:Kind of off topic but since folks were bringing up the FD I figure I would add something else

I used to throw a QJLS/Eagle-X combo.

I have since switched to Q Polaris LS and FD

The QPLS is basically a speed 6 Eagle-X. They are straight with late fade and workable on a lot of lines like the eagle. My eagles overlapped with the OLF/PD like you were stating. By using the QPLS I get something that will stand apart from the speed 9 drivers.

Are these the old or new qpls that you speak of?
Steve
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: OLF

Re: Re: question for the eagle throwers out there

Postby kern9787 » Thu Aug 09, 2012 1:05 pm

Steve wrote:Are these the old or new qpls that you speak of?

I would guess new. My older one reminds me much more of a teebird, where the new run is much more eaglesque, for me at least.
P2 - Fuse - ROCS!!! - QJLS - QPLS - QOLS - PD - Predator - Quasar
kern9787
Fairway Surgeon

Postby Jerbob » Fri Oct 12, 2012 11:49 am

I'm down to one 11x KC Pro eagle(ce style plastic) and there is water shot that I love to throw stable eagles at, but I don't want to risk it. Are the SEX's still pretty stable to start with? What about the 12x champs? Looking for a beefy eagle. I own a firebird, but this shot is just outside my distance for it except with maybe a strong head wind to straighten the FB out.
Magic Wizard Roc Gator Eagle Firebird PD Destroyer
Jerbob
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: Eagle

Postby keltik » Fri Oct 12, 2012 12:09 pm

a 175 12x should do the trick.
keltik
2010 DGR Donator

Favorite Disc: Polecat!! Ò.ó

Postby JR » Sun Oct 14, 2012 6:27 am

The beefiest Eagle i've had is a 175 SEX. It ain't really an Eagle any more with the much HSS and LSS. It's a Banshee flight wise and shape wise it can't be a misstamped Banshee made from a wrong plastic. At least i haven't heard of Star Banshees.
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Favorite Disc: About to ace

Postby mikes919 » Sun Oct 14, 2012 2:40 pm

I used to throw eagles as my primary driver and still carry an old trusty dx one in the bag. My suggestion would be to pick a weight you are comfortable with, and get a champion and a dx in the x-mold. The champ one will stay overstable and you can rotate in a new dx one as the one you throw gets beat. Eventually you will have all three stabilities covered.
Flash - Firebird - Teebird - Leopard - Gator - Buzzz - Wizard
mikes919
Noob

Favorite Disc: CE Leopard

Next

Return to Equipment