Help me pick a putter

Golf Discs, Bags, Baskets, Videos, and other Disc Golf Related Equipment

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Help me pick a putter

Postby DiscSniper » Wed Aug 08, 2012 11:39 am

I am currently throwing an ancient, 164 gram Omega SS as my main putter. I do ok with it, but I find that I don't like the floppiness of it. The grippiness is great, however…

I'm looking to try some new putters and hopefully pickup a stack of one mold for practice sessions.

From my own wanderings on the site I'm considering the Wizard, Omega AP, Ion, and Anode.

The Wizard seems really popular and I kinda want to try one, but I'm confused about so many hardness options. I want tacky/grippy but not floppy.

The Omega AP seems a natural choice as I'm throwing the SS now, but availability seems poor.

The Ion and Anode seem to have strong followings as well...

Another question I have is are lighter or heavier discs best for putting? I never/rarely throw my putter as an approach disc so I'm not concerned about weight from that standpoint.

Thoughts, comments and suggestions appreciated!
DiscSniper
Noob

Favorite Disc: Eagle 150 class

Re: Help me pick a putter

Postby turso » Wed Aug 08, 2012 11:42 am

I suggest you try the Ion/Anode first before committing blindly into it, they have this super annoying roundness inside where the rim meets the flightplate that makes it disgusting to hold in hand...it doesn't bother everyone though, so try it out if it's a thing that matters to you or not :)

I'm gonna suggest EZE Mercy, it's aviarish, which would mean it's not far from Omega. Grippy but stiff.
Frank Delicious wrote:Every groove is a unique snowflake of suck.

NOS, PD, River, Roc3, Comet, Trident, Mercy, JOKERi, XXX
turso
Steward Turkeylink: This ranks means I can't read or follow basic directions

Favorite Disc: My first putter

Postby BLURR » Wed Aug 08, 2012 11:59 am

I would suggest the Voodoo.
If the object of disc golf were to hit trees, I'd be 1100 rated.
BLURR
Plastic Fondler

Favorite Disc: Comet

Postby kevind » Wed Aug 08, 2012 12:03 pm

there are some stiffer runs of ss im not much help on which but its a small bead avair so a worn one I would think is alot lot a regular old dx avair. Heavys will have a lillte less glide but inside the circle i doubt you will see much difference in weights unless the wind is howling.
wizard, qms, roc, eagle-x ,valk, OLF
kevind
Tree Magnet

Help me pick a putter

Postby DiscSniper » Wed Aug 08, 2012 12:09 pm

Never heard of the mercy or voodoo, any suggestions on weight? One of the main issues is lack of anything but Innova locally, so I'm probably going to grab a select mix of putters and get one-ofs to try before I get a bunch of one model.

The Voodoo seems promising, but I have the same question with it as the Wizard, wanting firm but grippy, which model do I go for?
DiscSniper
Noob

Postby Mark Ellis » Wed Aug 08, 2012 1:39 pm

Soft Magnet, Hard Magnet or Rattler. Of course that is based on my preference, not yours. From the original post's description the Soft Magnet would come closest.

The real answer is whatever feels best in your hands then performs well for you.

Weight is not a big issue. The most important shots you will make with your putter are within 30' or so and a few grams here or there doesn't make much difference in flight characteristics. A little lighter will float a bit easier, a little heavier will fight wind a bit better. The differences are so small I pick putters for putting duty based primarily on feel, look next (color and hotstamp) and weight last.

Since confidence is more important than mechanics in putting, I want a putter which I find immediately appealing. One I pick up and say, "This one is superb!" Love at first sight might be a romantic fallacy but lust at first touch is absolutely true. Whether you and your new putter have a long term relationship or not is a different issue and totally unpredictable.

For upshot duties I won't get a real light putter. 170 grams or more is fine. For upshots wind resistance is important.
Mark Ellis
The Big Fundamental

Favorite Disc: Rattler

Help me pick a putter

Postby DiscSniper » Wed Aug 08, 2012 5:03 pm

I've read some people are using 150 class putters for making "runs" at monster putts without going too far past in the event a "come back" putt is needed. That sounds appealing, but another question is: Are these lighter discs more easily spit out of the basket?

My bro has a Rattler that I can try and I has considered the Magnet.
DiscSniper
Noob

Postby disc junkie » Wed Aug 08, 2012 5:26 pm

Just throwing out my preference as I think it's one of the best putters avaiable and is a unique mold which a lot of putters can't say.

Lat64 EZE Mercy
When I'm not itchin for discin, I have the yearnin to get the plastic turnin
disc junkie
LL Buzzz J

Postby Jesse B 707 » Wed Aug 08, 2012 7:27 pm

D Magnet is pretty much the best putter (for putting) ever made...trust me.
http://ufosdg.org/
XXX,PD2,BOSS,KATANA,PD,ROC,VP,RATTLER,MAGNET
Jesse B 707
Rocstar

Favorite Disc: ROC

Postby Jesse B 707 » Wed Aug 08, 2012 7:30 pm

DiscSniper wrote:I've read some people are using 150 class putters for making "runs" at monster putts without going too far past in the event a "come back" putt is needed. That sounds appealing, but another question is: Are these lighter discs more easily spit out of the basket?

My bro has a Rattler that I can try and I has considered the Magnet.

yes, 150 putters do indeed bounce off of the chains more than their heavier counterparts. I use a Rattler for those longer runs and it is pretty money, they are pretty easy to run the hell out of longer shots with while still landing really close to the basket.
http://ufosdg.org/
XXX,PD2,BOSS,KATANA,PD,ROC,VP,RATTLER,MAGNET
Jesse B 707
Rocstar

Favorite Disc: ROC

Postby DiscSniper » Sat Aug 11, 2012 2:04 pm

Is there any way to buy a Wizard online and have any idea what it's going to feel like? It seems at though the mfg is horribly inconsistent with varying runs of their plastic. The only thing I can buy locally is Innova...
DiscSniper
Noob

Postby dgdave » Sat Aug 11, 2012 2:09 pm

Call gateway. You can get 5 for 40
"The Gauge may be the best disc ever"
-dgdave
dgdave
DGR Postmaster General

Favorite Disc: GAUGE!

Postby Flipflat » Sat Aug 11, 2012 3:00 pm

Go to the store, or root around in other people's bags, and feel up their putters. Whatever feels good is good.

Personally, I think Discraft Pro D plastic feels best, challengers feel nice in the hand.
I would like your X-Wasps, please.
Flipflat
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: buzzz

Help me pick a putter

Postby DiscSniper » Sat Aug 11, 2012 4:03 pm

So I put two SuperSoft Wizards, a Soft Magnet, and an Omega AP in my cart at DGC. I'll give those a try when they come in and report back. Mercy's were out of stock.
DiscSniper
Noob

Postby BLURR » Sat Aug 11, 2012 5:58 pm

All three molds are great putters. In terms of feel, the Soft Magnet is going to have the closest plastic feel to the SS. The AP you ordered would be a good approach disc. The Wizards are good all around discs.
If the object of disc golf were to hit trees, I'd be 1100 rated.
BLURR
Plastic Fondler

Favorite Disc: Comet

Next

Return to Equipment