NUKE question...

Golf Discs, Bags, Baskets, Videos, and other Disc Golf Related Equipment

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

NUKE question...

Postby pask2155 » Thu Aug 09, 2012 2:06 pm

what are the pros and cons to a nuke? Obviously without the right arm speed and form you can really screw things up and hate them... but just in general what are likes and dislikes of the disc?

I have researched this on this forum but it seems that all I am reading about is people comparing other discs to it...
pask2155
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: NUKE/PD/BUZZ/ION

Re: NUKE question...

Postby Mark Ellis » Thu Aug 09, 2012 2:55 pm

Nukes go far and fast but are harder to control than slower drivers.

So until you learn the disc you will sometimes throw one far and fast but in the wrong direction.

That being said, your competitors are throwing wide rimmed drivers so you need to as well once you get to the higher levels. I carry 7 Nukes in my bag plus backups and they are essential to my game.

If you don't have the arm speed to handle a Nuke, start on a Nuke SS (an understable Nuke with huge glide). Don't give up on your traditional drivers as you will need them for control shots. The sooner you start experimenting with a Nuke the sooner you will learn it and be ready to use it in competitive rounds.
Mark Ellis
The Big Fundamental

Favorite Disc: Rattler

Postby pask2155 » Thu Aug 09, 2012 3:36 pm

is the nuke consistent?
pask2155
Tree Magnet

Postby Timko » Thu Aug 09, 2012 3:38 pm

As consistent as a wide rimmed driver can be.
jsun3thousand wrote:Disc golfers are holding the sport back.
Timko
Like Angels Kicking Ass in your Mouth

Postby pask2155 » Thu Aug 09, 2012 3:41 pm

so the wider the rim the more inconsistent a disc is???
pask2155
Tree Magnet

Postby Mark Ellis » Thu Aug 09, 2012 5:06 pm

pask2155 wrote:so the wider the rim the more inconsistent a disc is???

The wider the rim the more precise you must be to control it. This is why putters are easier to control than mids and mids are easier to control than drivers. At the top of the evolutionary scale sits the wide rimmed drivers. The Nuke has the widest, sharpest rim allowed under PDGA specs.

I tested and dabbled with various Nuke prototypes for a year before I decided I needed to learn the disc. One day I was playing a hole out of my reach. It was a tight uphill tunnel with a low overhang. Because I knew I couldn't get within 60 feet of the hole, no matter how perfectly I hit the hole with my primary drivers, on a whim I threw a Nuke. What was the risk? I was only going to get a 3 if I drove well or poorly, so what the heck? I chucked a Nuke, did not throw it perfectly and it sailed past the hole. Hot damn! How did that happen? That was no Nuke fluke, just what the disc could do.

Once I realized the potential it was a matter of learning the disc and slowly moving it into my tournament bag then repertoire of shots. Now it is my primary long range driver.
Mark Ellis
The Big Fundamental

Postby money 21 » Thu Aug 09, 2012 10:07 pm

so what discs has the nuke replaced for you. I keep moving up to the wde rim the moving back down to the speed 11 discs.
Summit, money, vp, flying squirrel, ibex, obex, sharp shooter #2, trak, ascent, seacert weapon, vulture, unlace, lace, olace, solace, Prometheus
i have seen monkey sh!t fights at the zoo more orginized then this.
money 21
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: Z XS

Postby Mark Ellis » Fri Aug 10, 2012 6:20 am

money 21 wrote:so what discs has the nuke replaced for you. I keep moving up to the wde rim the moving back down to the speed 11 discs.

I think this is the right way to do it. It takes a while to figure out the wide rimmed drivers. Just like a hole may be risk or reward, so too are drivers. You have to learn when to trust a disc and when not to, dependent upon not just the shot but your current ability to control it. So experiment with wide rimmed drivers. Put them away when they create too much chaos and pull them back out when the time is right. But keep chipping away. Eventually, when your opponents are beating you with a superior weapon you have to set up. You won't win many gunfights with a knife.

I find the key to controlling a Nuke is nose angle. The nose is the leading edge of the disc as it flies. If I don't release a Nuke flat-dead nuts flat- it is not going to start out flying straight. This is why a poorly released Nuke is a scud missile.

Z Flashes, Proline Rogues and Z Crushes were my primary drivers. All 3 of these discs are in the same family, basically the same disc in varying stability. Flashes fly straight, Rogues anhyzer and Crushes hyzer. All are superb control drivers.

I used to carry a stack of Flashes. Now I carry one. The rest replaced by Nukes. My Rogues and Crushes still get a lot of use. When distance is essential I throw a Nuke.
Mark Ellis
The Big Fundamental

Postby pask2155 » Fri Aug 10, 2012 7:14 am

so i'm not really hearing about any drawbacks from the NUKE. It sounds like a pretty solid disc... It goes far and somewhat temperamental as expected. Are there other discs that consistently go further with more tolerances?
pask2155
Tree Magnet

Postby money 21 » Fri Aug 10, 2012 8:39 am

the nuke is a solid disc. the advanage over some of the other wide rims is it comes in a lot of different plastics. it has the same disadvantage as other wide rim disc n the plh and dome are going tho play a large role in its flight.

mark how much more distance do you get from a nuke over a rogue or flash? i can only get the nuke out about 10-15' farther then my surges. Have you thrown the hurricane much?
Summit, money, vp, flying squirrel, ibex, obex, sharp shooter #2, trak, ascent, seacert weapon, vulture, unlace, lace, olace, solace, Prometheus
i have seen monkey sh!t fights at the zoo more orginized then this.
money 21
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: Z XS

NUKE question...

Postby Cavere » Fri Aug 10, 2012 5:23 pm

What other discs would a nuke ss compare to?

I've only thrown a nuke once. I found an os in the woods once and on the next hole I threw in into water. So I haven't gotten a good gauge on them.
katana--Boss--Surge--Orc--Monster--Roadrunner--Eagle--Buzz--FR Ion
subject to change almost each and every day!
Cavere
Noob

Favorite Disc: Ion

Postby keltik » Fri Aug 10, 2012 5:45 pm

Katana, maybe?
keltik
2010 DGR Donator

Favorite Disc: Polecat!! Ò.ó

Postby NoMoreTinCup » Sun Aug 12, 2012 7:59 pm

Yeah, so don't confuse the different Nuke molds. The OS is OVERstable, extremely so. The SS seems to be popular with less powerful or hyzer dominant throwers. Also be aware that you will want to actually feel the standard Nuke, as the ESP and Z models are from slightly different molds. The ESP has a slightly taller rim, IIRC. The X Nuke (not sure which mold) is an anny bomber for me, and has given me my longest throws, bar none. I carry a pretty new ESP, and a beat Z or new X, in addition to Forces and Avengers. Depending on the course, I often take the Nukes out. Overall, the Nuke mold is the easiest disk for me to throw far, but as Mr. Ellis advised, it does require some input on the throwers part to learn to throw, and then to learn when to throw it.
Good luck, and post up if you have specific questions.
KP
Elk Creek Disc Golf
www.elkcreekdgc.info
NoMoreTinCup
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: Craft Discs

Postby pask2155 » Fri Aug 17, 2012 10:39 pm

So are broke in nukes more stable?
pask2155
Tree Magnet

Postby JR » Fri Aug 17, 2012 10:57 pm

Strictly speaking stability ain't even the correct term i've been told. Stable is so falsely used even in the incorrect way we use in disc golf. Often times people mean more OVERstable when they say more stable. But stable is the least false term when it means straight flying so more stable should mean straighter flying. A Nuke that has been broken in will flip early in the flight and fade near or identically the same than a new one. Maybe a very beat disc could lose some of the fade but it takes time. The shape of the disc is such that the disc will fade hard in the end.
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Favorite Disc: About to ace

Next

Return to Equipment