Ashley's bag

Post your Bag Critique Requests, Talk about your Bag set up etc...

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Re: Ashley's bag

Postby JR » Wed Mar 21, 2012 4:06 am

ashley wrote:I am really going to try and not pick up any extra molds this year. I would like to think I can make it out to 350 with what I have. I am going to try and break down my runup and get it looking good. I have been watching video online, and with the help of my ever so patient husband, I hope to improve drastically with it this year.

My cyclones probably qualify as super flippy, but I like them as approach discs because I can put them on any line and they will hold(tp's for what it's worth) They seem to power down very well.

I looked into getting a River at one point, but it seems like it is hard to find them under 170. 163 is my ideal weight.

To be honest, I rarely throw the ORC, Firebird, and Roadrunner. But, I do keep them in the bag for a hole here and there. If there is substantial wind, the orc will see a lot of use, otherwise it just sits there. I played a tournament last week, and there was one hole that the ORC was perfect for.

Does your husband know how rare it is to have a lady pushing 300'? It is and telling him that and that you want to throw 350' should motivate him to help you train. Once you can harness more of the power from the x step and possibly a run up the 350' goal is getting closer soon and the Roadrunner and the Orc will become more useful.
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Favorite Disc: About to ace

Postby ashley » Fri May 18, 2012 3:12 pm

1. Stable Control Driver
Teebird 163

2.Distance Driver
Valkyrie 166
Valkyrie 163

3.Understable Driver
Leopard 166
TL 164
TL 150(my lefty training disc)

4.Moderately Overstable
Orc 162
Starfire 160

5. Very Overstable Driver
Firebird 167

Mids
Nebula 175
Core 169
Roc 179

Putters
Rhyno 175
Aviar 175

The good news is I have successfully learned how to hyzer flip! I love this shot. My TL's are getting close to 300 pretty consistently, and up to 325 once in a while(guessing here) The Starfire seems to fight the wind better than the Orc, and I find with the little extra distance I've found that they fly truer to their intended flight. I'm liking the Core alot, it is a bit understable but seems to hold any line I put on it. I am also pushing the rhyno out farther and learning how to succesfully throw an anny line with it.

In fact, just with messing with angles I find that I can get my TL to take almost any line. I also went out on the course and played a left only round,and was able to have a little consistency with it by the end. I plan on playing a few more of these rounds,as I can see a definite use for this shot.
ashley
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: valkyrie

Postby JR » Fri May 18, 2012 9:52 pm

Have you tried MVP Anode? It is a little thinner than the Rhyno and flicks well flying way farther for the same power. And powers down better.
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Postby ashley » Thu Jun 28, 2012 1:25 pm

1. Stable Control Driver
Teebird 163

2.Distance Driver
Orc 168
Orc 163
Valkyrie 167(something about this disc, it is slightly overstable and freakishly fast)

3.Understable Driver
Valkyrie 167
TL 164

4.Moderately Overstable

5. Very Overstable Driver
Firebird 167

Mids
Nebula 175
Core 169
Roc 179

Putters
Rhyno 175
Wizard 175

I've added some distance and now I am having to rework my entire bag.
Distances measured by GPS

Teebird is becoming much more valuable. Previously could only throw it 270 max, currently throw it around 300, max at 312.
Orc is getting out to 306, just added the 168, feel like I will get more D with it once I work with it a little more.
Valkyrie- the understable one has gotten out to 347 once, with a few more throws in the 320-330 range, seems to take a lot of open space to make it happen though.
Teedevil- picked up a 150. Max throw was 327, several throws over 300. Not a solid player in the bag yet.
Tls- Used to be my primary drivers, best throw 328, like the Valks they are taking a wide flight to get that far.

The biggest change is the TL's and Valks(except the new one) are flying a lot more understable now.
ashley
Tree Magnet

Postby JR » Thu Jun 28, 2012 5:05 pm

Along with increased power the TL and Valk are probably breaking in so it is no surprise that they get more understable flight patterns. Since you got competent distance from the wide winged 150 Teedevil vs slower discs you have better options among the Blizzard discs. I am surprised about the Orcs going that far for you but i've also heard that they vary a lot. Mine flips easily and fades pretty hard so i can't throw it as far as some other similarly fast discs because it fades out too early.

Because the Teedevil fades hard and early i would think that a Blizzard Wraith or a Katana could work better for you. The best weight probably needs experimentation and people say Blizzards have huge variations between individual discs. The Katana is flippier than the Teedevil so it might not be a good idea to get one that is much lighter or any lighter in fact but i have a hard time guessing because of our distance difference. For me my 150 Katana is a hyzer flipper but for you it could need a little initial hyzer to flip to flat or it could be a straight then too early and too hard fading disc. I can't tell because i haven't thrown mine powered to your level because there are better discs for that flight line wise for me. Wraith is more overstable than the Katana at 150 so it needs to be lighter and getting a sub 140 one would float in the water and could be very good for your power but even it will fade out.

I noticed a large difference in the fade of my 134 and 150 Wraith. I can get enough power on the 134 to make it fly so fast that the fade starts later and more mellow so it hits the ground later and with a more forward oriented fade. The thing is that the 134 is too understable for me for anything else than trick shots. It has to be thrown high with a great deal more initial hyzer than the 150. For you getting that light a weight could be great to alleviate the fading out problem i suspect the Teedevil has. Mine does even with full power for me.

Katana vs Wraith=more speed, glide and flip out of the Katana weight for weight. Thus the good Katana weight shots outdistance the Wraith unless you get a significantly lighter Wraith that closes the glide gap and to an extent the speed gap winning in the straighter finish almost closing the distance gap for a 400' thrower. I can't tell how the relative difference of a 134 Wraith vs a 150 Katana is for people with your power. I would imagine the fade is the enemy so a lighter Wraith would have less of it. The million dollar question is is such a light Wraith golfable at your power. In the winds it probably isn't and that needs to be accounted for in bag building.

You carry a lot of mids. Could you do with only two molds and a rotation of new and broken in ones?

Do the Orcs fly moderately overstable for you?
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Postby ashley » Thu Jun 28, 2012 11:40 pm

Got the teedevil out to 352 today. It was a beautiful throw.

I usually only throw the Nebula and Core. But honestly, I am pushing my Rhyno out farther and farther,so it is taking up most of the midrange duties.

The 163 Orc is beat in so it flies fairly straight for me. The 168 is newer and flies overstable.

I have considered adding a Wraith to the bag. I am not a fan of the wider rims but I am starting to get used to them a little bit.

I also tried out a 166 SL and a 169 TL today. The Tl is going in the bag for sure. It may become too understable as it beats in, but for now it flies beautifully.(It's a 169 where my two seasoned ones are 164) I was also able to get the SL out to 305 feet.
ashley
Tree Magnet

Postby JR » Fri Jun 29, 2012 7:52 pm

Wait until you see how much farther you can get properly weighted Wraiths, Katanas and as a dark horse possibly even the lightest Bosses but those would most likely need s-curves and breaking in. My 134 Boss is still too much for me for ultimate D but i await the day when it breaks in because it bombs already.

The wide wing in light Blizzards doesn't feel as bad as they do on max weight discs so i'd at least hold and mock arm alone throw one in a store (aimed at a wall for safety of course) to see if the Wraith, Katana and Boss feel bad. It takes time to get the fingers stronger and more flexible and i was one of the many who struggled with the wing width arms race thinking the Wraith was too wide for comfort and once it became half manageable Innova dared to humiliate us again with the Destroyer and so on :-D Given time and at least field practice wider wings become more manageable.

I would consider the newer Orc as a moderately overstable disc then so there is probably no reason to get another disc for that role. The additional weight of the TL is expected as you gain power. Have you thrown the River lately because with your added power that could be a better disc than the new TL?
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Postby ashley » Wed Aug 08, 2012 5:53 pm

As my power progresses, I am finding a big gap in my discs. The Tl's are becoming unpredictable, especially the heavily used one. My newer Valk, which used to hyzer is settling into a fairly straight disc, but tracks slightly right in the beginning of the flight. The teebird is flying fairly dead straight, would like to add something with a similar flight, but a little faster. Would a beast or champ TL fit this role? I don't want anything wider than an Orc, as I struggle to consistently throw the wider rims. I can get the flight I like if I put the Orc on a slight anny line, but obviously when it is windy it doesn't work as well.
ashley
Tree Magnet

Postby JR » Thu Aug 09, 2012 2:32 am

Hyzer flipping that Valk would save money but it won't handle headwinds so well unless you read and compensate for the wind perfectly each time. Champ TL has a lot of HSS but alas also LSS like a champ TB and it ain't fast so it is shorter than the Valk. A mid 160s Pro Beast might need headwind to not fade out unless you're looking for a TB type fade in which case it could work very well.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Postby money 21 » Thu Aug 09, 2012 9:12 am

have you looked at the viking?
Summit, money, vp, flying squirrel, ibex, obex, sharp shooter #2, trak, ascent, seacert weapon, vulture, unlace, lace, olace, solace, Prometheus
i have seen monkey sh!t fights at the zoo more orginized then this.
money 21
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: Z XS

Postby ashley » Thu Aug 09, 2012 10:30 am

I have thrown a viking in the past and love it. Looks like it might be time to rekindle the flame. Going on a disc golf vacation this weekend. Hoping to try out a few different discs.

Any other suggestions would be appreciated. I am not necessarily against Lat or Discraft discs, just don't have a lot of experience with them.

Have an Eagle and a SL that I am going to be auditioning.
ashley
Tree Magnet

Postby money 21 » Thu Aug 09, 2012 5:14 pm

give a cyclone, xl and xs a try. a vision as well.
Summit, money, vp, flying squirrel, ibex, obex, sharp shooter #2, trak, ascent, seacert weapon, vulture, unlace, lace, olace, solace, Prometheus
i have seen monkey sh!t fights at the zoo more orginized then this.
money 21
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: Z XS

Postby JR » Fri Aug 10, 2012 5:22 am

I'd still keep the wallet shut because the SL could very well be exactly what you wanted. In Star anyway. Pro broken in might prove to be too flippy. BTW. how do you like a super new lady here throwing without accuracy and consistency to 230-270' FH hyzered at least 7 degrees each time and too high? She has obvious muscle power training background putting couch potato guys to shame.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Previous

Return to Bag Critique / Discussion