Discmania (FD) Jackal

Golf Discs, Bags, Baskets, Videos, and other Disc Golf Related Equipment

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Re: Discmania (FD) Jackal

Postby Flipflat » Sun Jun 10, 2012 9:40 pm

linkinparkervii wrote:
Flipflat wrote:
victorb wrote:
JHern wrote:I ran across one at a store the other day and almost picked it up. It was Orange S-FD (I think the stamp was gold), but it looked really domey and I wasn't sure if that is the one I want. Anyone else come across these domey Orange S-FDs, how do they fly?

I have an orange domey ( I think) 175. Flies like I described above. Fantastic disc, worth at least trying out.

Domey is what you want, I've got 3 orange all with the same dome, the one in the bag is great, driver comet kinda rings true.

Id say more of a beat roc driver

I suppose it's the slowness and glide of this disc that makes me think of a comet, although I haven't thrown a comet in a few years. My fd isn't really flippy for me either, although I'm in the 300ish' power range.
I would like your X-Wasps, please.
Flipflat
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: buzzz

Postby JR » Sun Jun 10, 2012 11:27 pm

That explains why it doesn't flip for you. People throw Comets farther and the power that is needed with the Comet to go 330'+ on a line drive would put the FD close maybe even to 400' depending on the speed/spin ratio of the thrower and the lines. At that power at least my FD flipped more than a River. Also the fade was over double in feet of my Opto Rivers and more than double over GL Rivers. Judging by how others describe their FD flight i may have had a lemon or a personal form issue with mine.
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Favorite Disc: About to ace

Postby victorb » Mon Jun 11, 2012 6:09 am

linkinparkervii wrote:
Id say more of a beat roc driver

a beat roc in a driver version would be a lot closer to a beat eagle-x. the amount of glide, and ability to power down the FD and still throw laser straight shots is what really reminds me of a comet.
Ability is what you're capable of doing. Motivation determines what you do. Attitude determines how well you do it. -Lou Holtz -

*Trespass*PD*Predator*FD*Mace*Comet*Gator*Summit*Judge*
victorb
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: Comet

Postby Fightingthetide » Wed Jun 20, 2012 2:37 pm

I thought I saw this somewhere already, but has anyone likened the FD to a beat-in 11x Champ Teebird? I have both, and they tend to fly similar lines. The FD does glide better, and has a more fluid motion to it's turn and fade whereas the Teebird has a more abrupt turn and fade. I can still get them to the same spot with lines that aren't too far off from each other.
Fightingthetide
1000 Rated Poster

Postby victorb » Thu Jun 21, 2012 7:54 am

Fightingthetide wrote:I thought I saw this somewhere already, but has anyone likened the FD to a beat-in 11x Champ Teebird? I have both, and they tend to fly similar lines. The FD does glide better, and has a more fluid motion to it's turn and fade whereas the Teebird has a more abrupt turn and fade. I can still get them to the same spot with lines that aren't too far off from each other.

I think it's closer to a worn (not super beat) dx teebird. The low speed fade of a beat 11xTB is still a bit too pronounced for how the FD flies. A dx TB finishes straighter, more consistent with the 'hyzer flip with no fade' type shots the FD excels at. The FD is a bit better at hyzer flips to turnovers that don't fade out than an 11x TB, IME.
Ability is what you're capable of doing. Motivation determines what you do. Attitude determines how well you do it. -Lou Holtz -

victorb
1000 Rated Poster

Postby disc junkie » Sun Jun 24, 2012 6:38 pm

I like. A Lot
When I'm not itchin for discin, I have the yearnin to get the plastic turnin
disc junkie
LL Buzzz J

Postby uNicedmeMan » Wed Jun 27, 2012 8:27 pm

Before I enter a few brief comments on the FD I should mention:
1- My s-FDs are 175, red, and have a pretty serious dome near the rim that flattens out toward the top.
2- I am throwing the FD around 350 or so on low lines and farther if I give it some air
2- I've been playing a lot more at a course with very thick disc eating undergrowth
3- Over the past year or so I have been trying to loose any sentimental attachment to discs and value out-of-the-box play-ability

Considering the above, the FD has quickly become one of my favorite discs. I've recently lost 2 seasoned champy-star sPDs that, before the FD, would have been tragic but the FD preforms beautifully on most of the shots I used the PDs for and more. It's been said before but the FD really does hold amazing lines right out of the box and glides like a maniac. I am also constantly impressed with the FDs ability to cover a lot of ground even when thrown on low line drives despite being a slower disc. I thought I had more to say but I guess that's it. Discmania- DON'T TWEAK THIS MOLD!!!
Last edited by uNicedmeMan on Sun Jul 15, 2012 7:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
-Find the Others-
uNicedmeMan
Plastic Fondler

Favorite Disc: Gotta be the PD

Postby BLURR » Fri Jul 13, 2012 10:07 am

Threw my beat up S-FD a fair bit last night. It always amazes me how sneaky long this disc is. It is like a driver version of a Comet(As the Comet is always amazing).
If the object of disc golf were to hit trees, I'd be 1100 rated.
BLURR
Plastic Fondler

Postby victorb » Wed Aug 08, 2012 7:52 am

The River continually gets love (especially over at dgcr, but dem guys) , but the Jackal isn't talked about much anymore. I think it's far superior to the river, and more versatile to boot.

Easily the best driver to come out in the last year.

victorb
1000 Rated Poster

Postby rooneytunes » Wed Aug 08, 2012 9:10 am

FD>River More glide, more workable, more comfortable and I get to tell people it's a jackal.

Wraith-Pred-FD-Eagle-XXX-Warship-Fuse-Pure
rooneytunes
Steward Turkeylink: This ranks means I can't read or follow basic directions

Postby Timko » Wed Aug 08, 2012 10:04 am

DGR is super big on the PD, and it compliments the FD perfectly. I think that's why you see more talk about the FD around here.
jsun3thousand wrote:Disc golfers are holding the sport back.
Timko
Like Angels Kicking Ass in your Mouth

Postby Pwingles » Wed Aug 08, 2012 11:18 am

Am i the only one who hates the constant leo/river comparisons?

Oh yeah, jackal is (.)(.)'s
Pwingles
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: Gwoove

Postby Timko » Thu Aug 09, 2012 3:37 pm

Yeah, I don't really see either.

The C FD is like a slower CFR or Champ TL.
The S FD is like a slower Sidewinder.
Timko

Postby JR » Fri Aug 10, 2012 5:02 am

Dave D wrote on the PDGA site that early in the year they had plastic that domed up many molds taller than normal. Mine was tall and he wrote that they have flatter discs now so i guess i need to start browsing that selection in my shop for better examples. Too bad i have tendonitis and can't throw in a while. Bummer we're getting fall temps already and my season in good weather is 9 weeks now thanks to surgery after the two longest winters in living memory. Blechhh.
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Favorite Disc: About to ace

Postby Timko » Fri Aug 10, 2012 1:16 pm

Those flat ones are the flipper ones. Those were what the DGR FDs were like. The proto one I got from Mark at DGV is domey, and similar in shape (and flight) to my C line one.
Timko

PreviousNext

Return to Equipment