Innova Mako

Golf Discs, Bags, Baskets, Videos, and other Disc Golf Related Equipment

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Re: Innova Mako

Postby Billym » Tue Aug 30, 2011 7:50 am

I think the FRs with the CY initials was purely a mistake because the discs are very similar.
I haven't needed to buy any new Makos recently and most of them look too domey. I will never buy a domey Mako again; they suck IMO. All the Champions and Champion glows are too domey as well.
Thanks God I have a crap load of FRs and a handfull of flat production stamps from the first or second run perhaps.
I throw my Mako off the tee and for long upshots (150-200') and I love it. If I throw them flat I get a very predictable turn, with a decent hyzer and power it goes straight and long with almost zero fade. Same hyzer with less power and more of a "sweep" and I get a delicate hyzer (RHBH).
The Mako has pretty much taken up 80% of my mid duties leaving my Rancho Rocs to headwind, and hard hyzer finishes.

The MD2 looks close but isn't really close at all. The one I have tossed was way more stable.
I haven't looked at Coyotes lately so I don't know much there.
Destroyer,Sidewinder,Firebird,Eagles,Leopard, Roc, Mako, S Wizard.

Sometimes I wonder why that Frisbee is getting bigger then it hits me.
Billym
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: Wizard

Postby jubuttib » Tue Aug 30, 2011 12:28 pm

zj1002 wrote:What type of flyer are you looking for?
Oh, I'm not really looking, just curious. I'm very very satisfied with my various MD2s. =)

They changed the Coyote to be more overstable (at least they tried) because it was too close to the Mako, but usually a convex wing would make the disc fly more understable...
Parks wrote:If the posts on this forum are any indication, the PD is like a Teebird with sunshine coming out of its butthole so hard that it flies faster.
Anode|ION|JOKERi|MD2|FD|TD|PD|LEGENDa
jubuttib
Long Finnish Word

Favorite Disc: Orange FR P-Line MD2

Postby money 21 » Tue Nov 15, 2011 11:38 pm

i just put a star mako in the bag i am using it for a straight mid and an approach disc. how do the glow compare to the star in flight?
Summit, money, vp, flying squirrel, ibex, obex, sharp shooter #2, trak, ascent, seacert weapon, vulture, unlace, lace, olace, solace, Prometheus
i have seen monkey sh!t fights at the zoo more orginized then this.
money 21
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: Z XS

Postby Booter » Fri Aug 10, 2012 8:37 am

necrobump

Star Mako vs. Opto Fuse

ok...so im thinking about messing with the mako,i havnt thrown it since it came out and i remember not liking it entirely. i think mainly because i really wasnt into driving with putters at the time . from what ive read on peoples experiences with the mako,its like a faster putter/slow mid. now i have thrown the fuse and loved it for a while then went to meteors. lately ive been wanting a slower neutral mid since i now have my buzzz beat into a meteor more or less. what comparisons can you give for the two? other than feeling different and different plastics. do you think theyre both similar or ones better for you?the other thing ive thought about is,if its a slow mid/longer putter type mid ,then would it be somewhat overlapping with my opto pure? granted the mako is a mid and the pure is a putter but i sometimes refer to my pure as a mini buzzz.thoughts on any of this who have thrown all or some of these discs?or am i just over thinking?
always looking for:
flat pink/red barstamp buzzzs, ce aviars, pearly pro candy fb's, pearly champion gators (fr or stock stamp),
Booter
Das Boot!

Favorite Disc: square ones

Postby BLURR » Fri Aug 10, 2012 9:01 am

I would put the Mako along side the roc in terms of speed. The flat FR's were the best runs as far as I'm concerned. The domey subsequent runs were slower and had more fade to them. As for the Fuse vs. the Mako, I would pick the Fuse...mainly because I like the grip of the Fuse over the Mako.
If the object of disc golf were to hit trees, I'd be 1100 rated.
BLURR
Plastic Fondler

Favorite Disc: Comet

Postby money 21 » Fri Aug 10, 2012 2:35 pm

a fast putter is a great way to describe the mako. I use mine for shots that i would use a putter on but the ceiling is to low. with a smooth throw and release the mako may be the straightest disk from start to finish i have ever thrown. on a smooth throw the mako will hold the line you put it on but doesn't change direction well. throwing at full speed I believe that the fuse is a better choice but for powering down the mako is the best disc on the market IMO.
Summit, money, vp, flying squirrel, ibex, obex, sharp shooter #2, trak, ascent, seacert weapon, vulture, unlace, lace, olace, solace, Prometheus
i have seen monkey sh!t fights at the zoo more orginized then this.
money 21
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: Z XS

Postby limonsock » Thu Jan 17, 2013 6:48 am

found a flat red star Mako a few years ago, tossed it today and thought it flew awesome! Same exact lines as my wizard, just a bunch farther. I was super disappointed to come on here and see that the recent runs have been been inconsistent and crappier. Has there been another good run since the domey third run?
also any suggestions of a disc that flies similarly a Mako, just longer? Im thinking that something with more distance could more justifiably make my bag.
Current bag is sloppy yet fun; Judges, comet, wasp, FD's, river?, saint?, PD's, Flow, D1, Nuke, ...
limonsock
Noob

Favorite Disc: today its a comet

Postby chainsmoker » Thu Jan 17, 2013 6:54 am

The only ones I ever threw were the flat first runs, they might have been the straightest flying mid I've ever thrown. All of the non first runs I have seen have had a higher shoulder and a dome. If you want a first run PM me. 8)
chainsmoker
Fairway Surgeon

Postby JR » Thu Jan 17, 2013 2:21 pm

Coyote is the disc that the Lycan is supposed to have replaced and i have no experience of the Lycan because it is so domey that it cannot handle winds without slowing down and grips poorly and the Coyotes are amazing. Coyotes are actually longer than the Comets which are longer than the Mako by a bit. So a Fuse would probably be a little longer too. While the Coyote is not exactly forgiving to missed hyzer angle gliding so well that it moves a lot sideways per erred degree the Fuse and the Comet are way more penalizing especially in the flipping. Mako FR yellow and a later one without the star stamp flew the same for me but both had slight domes. The Mako flips less easily than the Comet and is a few feet shorter 10' on average for me IIRC. Mako is also way more tolerant to user error just like the longer faster otherwise very similarly behaving Coyote. The Mako also punishes for missed hyzer like all of these high glide discs. All in all slightly domed Makos are a perfectly viable discs that has great competition in fairly similar discs and one of them is better.

Honorable mentions go out to Neutron Axis as well but it glides less and likes more power and is more Z Buzzz like. C MD opaque with slight dome is a more HSS Mako. I hear great things about flat gummy C MDs but have not even seen one. MD and Axis won't move so much off sideways if you miss the hyzer angle because of the lesser glide making them easier to place sideways and limit in distance thanks to the higher power requirement than the Mako and the rest of the discs mentioned here. Westside Warship is very much like the Mako in TP except the fade kicks in earlier and more mildly which may be good one some mildly left turning holes and hitting a tree in a tunnel earlier. The initial fade is so mild that you'd likely hit a tree in a tunnel with the Mako or the Coyote too.
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Favorite Disc: About to ace

Postby Monocacy » Thu Jan 17, 2013 2:45 pm

JR wrote:. . . Coyotes are amazing. Coyotes are actually longer than the Comets . . .

JR, your relentless Coyote advocacy led me to order a pair of 165-6 Star Coyotes. I hope that the Coyote is a more-forgiving Z Comet. I will test them over the next few weeks / months (it takes longer to test discs in the winter).

I hope you are right about Coyotes, although it is hard to picture anything floating further downhill on less power than a Comet.

Edit for topicality: I tried a flattish 163 Star Mako. It seems like a perfectly nice disc, but it lacked the Comet's magic.
Krait - Tern | Jackal - River - Resistor | Truth - Fuse - Zone | Clutch
Discs for sale or trade
Monocacy
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: Clutch

Postby JR » Sun Jan 20, 2013 7:20 am

I would not push the Coyote if it were not a tremendous disc and i do give a nod to the fairly similar DGA sparkle plastic Squall because it might suit somebody else better or at last their bag.

The Coyote is certainly more forgiving than the Comet for unclean releases and OAT but it is still nowhere near a straight driver in those categories. The Coyote is more power hungry for staying straight as long as the Comet but when that power is available the faster still well gliding Coyote will fly farther. I can imagine that for someone that throws the Comet say 250'' The Coyote might fade earlier and possibly not get any more distance. For me the Coyote does not flip at all until i throw it beyond say 270' after which it will flip. I've thrown the Comet on a good throw to 330' without flipping but puring like that is not too often so i'm better and golfable out to a maximum of 300' with the Comet if even that on dangerous holes. I'm way more confident with the Coyote in tunnels. My Coyote record is 347' so tops there is only 17' of distance difference but on average the Coyote is longer and since it does not demand as much height for nay given distance it is more golfable when branches are around.
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Favorite Disc: About to ace

Previous

Return to Equipment