stratus and cyclone

Golf Discs, Bags, Baskets, Videos, and other Disc Golf Related Equipment

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

stratus and cyclone

Postby money 21 » Thu Aug 09, 2012 10:22 pm

I got a x stratus and a x cyclone in a players pack this summer. I am having a lot of fun with these old school drivers. the stratus is a super flipper but can glide for ever on a good smooth hyzer flip. the cyclone is a great straigh tunnel drive. I know there are a lot of clone fans out there but it has been a long time since i have seen a discraft pro throwing one.
Sole, Summit, ridge, vp, ibex, obex, trak, ascent, unlace, lace, olace, solace,
i have seen monkey sh!t fights at the zoo more orginized then this.
money 21
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: Z XS

Re: stratus and cyclone

Postby keltik » Fri Aug 10, 2012 9:11 pm

Well after almost 20 years those discs are almost like long mids/ tweener discs. Still good discs just not popular.
keltik
2010 DGR Donator

Favorite Disc: Polecat!! Ò.ó

Postby Working Stiff » Fri Aug 10, 2012 9:21 pm

I used a Magnet/Comet/Stratus/Cyclone/X-Clone set-up for several years in the late 90's. I ended up dropping the Stratus and just using a beat Cyclone for those shots.

They tend to get overlooked these days because they are Discraft discs not named "Buzzz" or "Nuke."
Furthur wrote:Either get a lighter one, throw harder, or find a disc with more glide.
Working Stiff
Super Moderator of DGCR

Favorite Disc: Ontario Roc

Postby money 21 » Fri Aug 10, 2012 11:24 pm

i just think it is funny how much hype the fd and stalker get and I would take the clone over either of them.
money 21
1000 Rated Poster

Postby Working Stiff » Sat Aug 11, 2012 12:20 am

The Stalker mystifies me. I have no idea what it is good for. It reminds me of the old large diameter drivers like the Raven and Marauder that we all stopped throwing 15 years ago because discs like the Cyclone were better. Why people throw it is beyond me.
Furthur wrote:Either get a lighter one, throw harder, or find a disc with more glide.
Working Stiff
Super Moderator of DGCR

Favorite Disc: Ontario Roc

Postby Thatdirtykid » Sat Aug 11, 2012 3:05 pm

esp clones prompted a brief revival of them. I love em. I actually took my buzzz out of my bag for a while cause an ion is great long and a cyclone is great short. Comets fill the holes the buzzz left. I need to pick up an x plastic clone to replace my lost beat esp but I am afraid I will remember how much I love the X and want to throw them exclusively.
Z Pred-ESP Cyclone-Z Force-Z Aftershock-Z Comet-Ion-Pro Rhyno
Thatdirtykid
Disc Whore

Favorite Disc: z pred

Postby JR » Sat Aug 11, 2012 11:39 pm

Working Stiff wrote:The Stalker mystifies me. I have no idea what it is good for. It reminds me of the old large diameter drivers like the Raven and Marauder that we all stopped throwing 15 years ago because discs like the Cyclone were better. Why people throw it is beyond me.

IDK how those flew but the Stalker is Wasp longer or Buzzz OS faster. The Stalker is slower than Cyclones. i've never had a good Cyclone so i don't know how it is supposed to work but DX Gazelle goes way farther than the Stalker. Stalker is good for wind handling something that most Buzzzes fail at and some Cyclones too. The super beefy ESP Cyclone fades way harder so t ain't good for straight lines but neither was the Gaz before i gave it away. I've since gained more power so i might be able make t straighter but not when powered down to Stalker distances. The Stalker is a tweener so it works with other tweeners like PDs and Ions. Ions are long for a putter like the Anode and the Stalker is short for a FW but long for a mid so together they cover those three slots and the PD is short for a driver unless s-curved.
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Favorite Disc: About to ace

Postby money 21 » Sun Aug 12, 2012 8:15 am

the x and domey esp clones fly very similar to a gazelle.
money 21
1000 Rated Poster

Postby Thatdirtykid » Mon Aug 13, 2012 5:53 pm

money 21 wrote:the x and domey esp clones fly very similar to a gazelle.

Agreed. My wife agrees as well. When she doesn't have her discs with her but wants to throw a little she usually picks up my 164g domey esp clone. She throws a 159g dx gazelle for a predictable stable approach disc and the clone seems to do the same job well for her.

The biggest difference is how the two fly broken in. The dx gazelle seems to keep more HSS than my broken in ESP clones. Of course the gazelle will beat flippy sooner but I think its sweet spot is sweeter. ESP clones tend to lose their HSS faster than LSS while a dx gazelle tends to lose LSS first. Yes I know comparing dx to esp in wear characteristics is silly but they are two discs that fight for the same slot in the bag.
Z Pred-ESP Cyclone-Z Force-Z Aftershock-Z Comet-Ion-Pro Rhyno
Thatdirtykid
Disc Whore

Favorite Disc: z pred

Postby JHern » Wed Sep 05, 2012 9:45 pm

Cyclone is the best disc ever made. Stratus was the 2nd disc I ever owned, it was magic for me, especially as a newer player.

I prefer the flat top ultra-rigid over-stable ESP cyclones, I'm amassing a collection of these, since Discraft isn't running them like that any longer. They are like a better CE Eagle (more glide, less touchy, reliable and controllable fade).

Anyways, with the Comet, Buzzz, Drone, Wasp, Stalker, Cyclone, Stratus, etc., Discraft has the very best mid-range and fairway driver line-up in all of disc golf. No other company comes close.
Japan bag...
Drivers: Starlite Wraith (158g), Gummy Champion Leopard (150g), 1st Run Z-Talon (150g)
Mid-Range: Star Classic Roc (146g), R-Pro Roc (157g)
Putt/Approach: Legacy Protege Clozer (158g), Glow DX Aviar (150g)
JHern
Please ask me about my insider info on pros! Oh GOD please ask me!

Favorite Disc: Clutch

Postby Spike » Mon Sep 10, 2012 2:37 pm

Thatdirtykid wrote:I actually took my buzzz out of my bag for a while cause an ion is great long and a cyclone is great short. Comets fill the holes the buzzz left.
I did the same Cyclone/Comet/putter-thing (I used Pure instead of Ion). I'm thinking of doing it again.
Spike
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: very old Birdies

Postby Spike » Tue Sep 11, 2012 4:18 am

JHern wrote:I prefer the flat top ultra-rigid over-stable ESP cyclones, I'm amassing a collection of these, since Discraft isn't running them like that any longer. They are like a better CE Eagle (more glide, less touchy, reliable and controllable fade).
Those are the Esp Cyclones that I'm used to. Is the difference in stability huge between these and the current ones? (I realize now that I haven't followed enough of the Cyclone-thread)
Spike
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: very old Birdies

Return to Equipment