good beginner distance driver?

Disc Golf Talk

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

good beginner distance driver?

Postby mattpusa » Thu Jul 12, 2012 3:36 pm

I'm looking for a good beginner distance driver, I have an avenger SS that I can throw well just looking for a more straighter somewhat understable disc that will be able to S curve. I have a kc pro roc that I will go where i want it too just looking to get more distance now
mattpusa
Noob

Re: good beginner distance driver?

Postby JR » Thu Jul 12, 2012 4:28 pm

Beginners learn faster if they don't use drivers at all. Eventually one needs to move to drivers because they teach about nose up angles and force you to learn to counter that so the question becomes what are your skills like now? Avenger SS is abbreviated ASS here for a good reason. There are few more understable discs out there and yes the ASS fades fairly hard especially at low power. Avengers are designed to fade. Leopard is a good first driver that does not need huge amounts of power and doesn't fade hard. In fact i don't know any other driver that fades as little.
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Favorite Disc: About to ace

Postby mattpusa » Thu Jul 12, 2012 7:38 pm

I've only been playing for about 2 monthes. Should I keep practicing with the avenger or go out and buy a leopard?
mattpusa
Noob

Postby JR » Fri Jul 13, 2012 3:48 am

While the Avenger may not be as horrible for sub 250' throwers the Leopard is the better disc. Not knowing where you are at distance and form cleanliness wise it is hard to say if you should drop all drives for now or not. The Avenger SS can magnify user errors so it ain't the best learning tool. Doubly so in the wind but the Leo ain't the best wind disc either. At this point i don't have data to give you an educated guess about the timing of getting to learn drivers. General rule of thumb for trying out drivers is getting putters over 200' or better yet 250'. Up to that time long mids or in between mid and fairway drivers should work. The usual long for mids/tweeners are Coyote, Stalker and Squall. Out of those the Stalker fades the most and handles the wind best. Better than the Leopard. Coyote has the lowest power requirement and the Squall is in between those two. So if you're unhappy with the ASS i'd pick one of those. For best user error tolerance i'd pick the Stalker and for the straightest shots the Coyote.
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Favorite Disc: About to ace

Postby Jesse B 707 » Sat Jul 14, 2012 9:47 am

Dx Valk
http://ufosdg.org/
XXX,PD2,BOSS,KATANA,PD,ROC,VP,RATTLER,MAGNET
Jesse B 707
Rocstar

Favorite Disc: ROC

Postby Thatdirtykid » Sat Aug 11, 2012 10:32 am

Comet

But in all seriousness (although you will learn a lot throwing a comet in place of drievers), a base plastic xl, tl, leopard (for lower power players), sabre ect are great and should be all you need. I haven't thrown many modern sabres but they sure would be a good choice, very few discs teach you how to throw proper higher lines better.
Z Pred-ESP Cyclone-Z Force-Z Aftershock-Z Comet-Ion-Pro Rhyno
Thatdirtykid
Disc Whore

Favorite Disc: z pred

Postby money 21 » Sat Aug 11, 2012 7:38 pm

The dga squall, they are a very diver like mid.
ringer, aero, breaker, glide, sabre, valk, avenger, flick, helios, teedevil, halo
i have seen monkey sh!t fights at the zoo more orginized then this.
money 21
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: Z XS

Return to General Discussion