Change of disc alignment on the hand, good or bad?

Information, Questions, Discussion about Throwing Mechanics and Technique

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Change of disc alignment on the hand, good or bad?

Postby Indy's broken whip » Tue Aug 07, 2012 11:17 am

I finally got the feeling of disc weight and pivot at the end of the throw. I realized that there has been some problems with my power grip, as I havent felt any pivot, more like "now I'm gripping with all my fingers, now the disc slipped away". When I adjusted the grip so that the bone at the base of the index finger (where the finger starts) was slightly over the disc's edge, I automatically pinched the thumb and the index finger at the end, even with low speeds, and the disc "ripped" of at more consistent time than before, resulting more accuracy and probably spin, speed and other nice issues (Although I can't guarantee anything as I was throwing on to the soccer goal 5 meters away. ). :)

I'd like to hear some opinion about this, is this possible or is somehow completely wrong concept? I have quite short fingers, I can barely curl my index finger around Leopard's rim (not touching the flight plate). Here's a short video of my current grip:

Indy's broken whip
Noob

Re: Change of disc alignment on the hand, good or bad?

Postby itlnstln » Tue Aug 07, 2012 2:46 pm

Something doesn't look right.* I tried to emulate your grip on a TeeBird I have laying around, and I couldn't get a strong grip on my index finger. One tip I have is to first get a good pinch between your index and thumb (I like doing Blake's hammer-pound for this to get the right feel), then put the rest of your fingers on the disc in your preferred orientation (I like the Climo/fork grip since I have small hands) as this will pull the disc back into your palm. Lastly, I loosen everything up a bit going into the throw; while I have small hands, they're strong and squeezing too hard locks my wrist preventing it from opening at the end of the throw.

Rephrased (tl;dr):
-Use Blake's hammer-pound to determine your finger/thumb orientation for a good pinch. Your optimum pinch should be pretty obvious after a few hammer-pounds; I also "validate" this by doing light hammer-pound tosses straight up in the air focusing on the disc pivot; if I can sling the disc up the air a couple feet and I feel the weight shift, pivot, etc. it's all good.

-Once you find your optimum pinch orientation, load the rest of your fingers on the disc in an orientation you feel helps maximize the pivot. Again, I like the Climo grip as it helps me get my non-pinch fingers out of the way.

-Adjust the firmness of your grip so the disc will pivot freely, your wrist can get maximum spring, and you are still holding on to the disc (of course). (EDIT: read this instead, I think my wording might lead you in the wrong direction. It should really be a sling, and the way I wrote it might not get you there)

-Throw

*I'm not saying it's bad, but it doesn't look right
itlnstln
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: Roc

Postby JR » Thu Aug 09, 2012 1:13 am

I have short fingers and not pushing the outside edge of the disc as deep into the base of the index finger as possible loosens the index finger grip. It also makes getting the front of the disc down enough difficult when the disc is so far out of the base of the index finger. You can't grip wide discs well with your grip and thinner winged discs lose out n the index finger not having perfect leverage pulling against the palm.
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Favorite Disc: About to ace

Postby Indy's broken whip » Sun Aug 12, 2012 8:01 am

This didn't work when I tested it properly on field. I can't figure out the proper way of power grip, if I keep my wrist perpedicular to ground, the disc is in big hyzer angle when I grip it "normally". I have to really get base of the thumb over the disc to get it straight, but then it drops bit under the seam of the hand.
Indy's broken whip
Noob

Postby JR » Sun Aug 12, 2012 1:35 pm

Don't worry about the hyzer angle just look at the angle at which the disc flies in the air. Some drooping in the hyzer angle in the grip does not mean that it droops after the rip. "Only the angles at the rip matter" -Dave Dunipace. Just not in those exact words but That is the idea. So go ahead and throw and watch the disc.
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Favorite Disc: About to ace

Return to Technique