The Temple Of ROC!!!!

Golf Discs, Bags, Baskets, Videos, and other Disc Golf Related Equipment

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Re: The Temple Of ROC!!!!

Postby cmlasley » Wed Aug 08, 2012 8:30 pm

Fightingthetide wrote:I remember seeing a chart someone made telling what weight Roc you should be throwing based on how far you throw them. Can anyone fish that up for me?

I just ordered 3 DX Rancho Rocs to try out for my mids. I have 2 beat D MD2's that have convinced me to return to base plastic mids. They flip up on a hard throw, track right and finish straight on a finesse shot, and work really well on tunnel shots. Is this what I can expect from DX Rocs once they break in?

When they are really really really really beat.

When they are just broken in, they flip up to flat, stay straight forever and end straight.
Morgan Lasley
When life gives you lemons, stick them in the freezer for a few hours, then throw them back, 'cause they're like rocks, man.
cmlasley
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: OK Computer

Postby Jesse B 707 » Wed Aug 08, 2012 8:36 pm

Fightingthetide wrote:I remember seeing a chart someone made telling what weight Roc you should be throwing based on how far you throw them. Can anyone fish that up for me?

I just ordered 3 DX Rancho Rocs to try out for my mids. I have 2 beat D MD2's that have convinced me to return to base plastic mids. They flip up on a hard throw, track right and finish straight on a finesse shot, and work really well on tunnel shots. Is this what I can expect from DX Rocs once they break in?

Not gonna search out that post but I do know that it was Blake T. who originally shared that wisdom with us. It was something like <300' = 165, 300'/340' = 170, 340'/380' = 175, 380'/420' = 178, >420 = max weight (these numbers are off from his i'm sure...but probly not too far off) And yes, that is a shot that I do with my medium to fairly seasoned Rocs.
Edit: i'm pretty sure that Blake's (and in turn, my) chart was listing your max D with your drivers, not your Rocs.
Last edited by Jesse B 707 on Wed Aug 08, 2012 8:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
http://ufosdg.org/
XXX,PD2,BOSS,KATANA,PD,ROC,VP,RATTLER,MAGNET
Jesse B 707
Rocstar

Favorite Disc: ROC

The Temple Of ROC!!!!

Postby Fightingthetide » Wed Aug 08, 2012 8:40 pm

Just ready your edit....that makes more sense. So I should be okay with 176g Rocs? My max D with Valks is ~380'.
Fightingthetide
1000 Rated Poster

Postby Jerbob » Wed Aug 08, 2012 9:15 pm

The roc weights are in the top section of equipment listed in the "PLH, Eagle mold pic, and other answers" post. Just scroll down a bit and you can see the post.
Magic Wizard Roc Gator Eagle Firebird PD Destroyer
Jerbob
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: Eagle

Postby victorb » Mon Aug 13, 2012 6:04 am

Any one else finding these +mold dx rocs in stores? Many claims over at dgcr (I know, sources of greatly accurate info over there) that they are pretty much all going to be made in +mold configurations except kc pros.

Unfortunately, I don't know if I'd stick with the Roc if that happened. I really dislike the +mold configuration that much.
Ability is what you're capable of doing. Motivation determines what you do. Attitude determines how well you do it. -Lou Holtz -

*Trespass*PD*Predator*FD*Mace*Comet*Gator*Summit*Judge*
victorb
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: Comet

Postby Fightingthetide » Mon Aug 13, 2012 6:38 am

victorb wrote:Any one else finding these +mold dx rocs in stores? Many claims over at dgcr (I know, sources of greatly accurate info over there) that they are pretty much all going to be made in +mold configurations except kc pros.

Unfortunately, I don't know if I'd stick with the Roc if that happened. I really dislike the +mold configuration that much.

I just ordered 3 DX Rocs from DGC and they said all of the new DX Rocs are plus molds, but more specifically a semi-plus mold that is somewhat in between flat and plus. They told me (on the phone) that Innova told them it produced less waste because they got better results with the semi-plus rim. Without diving into a rant, I'm not sure I buy it. How do you go SO long making one mold and now all of a sudden it needs to be changed....hmmm...

I'll let yo know what I think. If I can't stand them, I'll start searching for good 12x KC's.
Fightingthetide
1000 Rated Poster

Postby victorb » Mon Aug 13, 2012 7:02 am

Would definitely like to hear feedback. KCs just aren't quite the same as a dx, so I'd most likely just move to another mid for a primary, comet or md2 most likely. I hear the md2 has a plus rim but it wasn't noticeable to me at all when I tried them out.
Ability is what you're capable of doing. Motivation determines what you do. Attitude determines how well you do it. -Lou Holtz -

victorb
1000 Rated Poster

Postby Fightingthetide » Mon Aug 13, 2012 7:26 am

victorb wrote:Would definitely like to hear feedback. KCs just aren't quite the same as a dx, so I'd most likely just move to another mid for a primary, comet or md2 most likely. I hear the md2 has a plus rim but it wasn't noticeable to me at all when I tried them out.

Another problem - good C MD2's are hard to find and D MD2's are not in production (but they are sweet! I'm bagging 2 right now)
Fightingthetide
1000 Rated Poster

Postby victorb » Mon Aug 13, 2012 7:30 am

Fightingthetide wrote:
Another problem - good C MD2's are hard to find and D MD2's are not in production (but they are sweet! I'm bagging 2 right now)

I thought the smd2s were pretty nice. Between the C and S line I could probably easily fill out a lineup.

victorb
1000 Rated Poster

Postby Timko » Mon Aug 13, 2012 8:32 am

victorb wrote:Any one else finding these +mold dx rocs in stores? Many claims over at dgcr (I know, sources of greatly accurate info over there) that they are pretty much all going to be made in +mold configurations except kc pros.

Seriously doubt that all Rocs are now +molds. The Roc has become more domey over the past 5 years, causing the wing to dry differently, and giving that slightly slanted feeling. A lot of those people have never held a +mold Roc, and they feel nothing alike.

All that being said, the new Rocs "collapse" a bit after initial use. The top gets a little less domey, and the rim gets a little less slanted.
jsun3thousand wrote:Disc golfers are holding the sport back.
Timko
Like Angels Kicking Ass in your Mouth

Postby Timko » Mon Aug 13, 2012 8:33 am

Fightingthetide wrote:

I just ordered 3 DX Rocs from DGC and they said all of the new DX Rocs are plus molds, but more specifically a semi-plus mold that is somewhat in between flat and plus. They told me (on the phone) that Innova told them it produced less waste because they got better results with the semi-plus rim. Without diving into a rant, I'm not sure I buy it. How do you go SO long making one mold and now all of a sudden it needs to be changed....hmmm...

I'll let yo know what I think. If I can't stand them, I'll start searching for good 12x KC's.

Well that's pretty stupid.
jsun3thousand wrote:Disc golfers are holding the sport back.
Timko
Like Angels Kicking Ass in your Mouth

Postby Jesse B 707 » Mon Aug 13, 2012 10:32 am

Yes, they are basically all slightly slanted now (and have been for probably the past 2 years or so...look like 50 or so pages back ITT) the good news is they don't fly like a + at all and the slant doesn't seem to bother my release...and I am a notorious hater of all slanted rims.
http://ufosdg.org/
XXX,PD2,BOSS,KATANA,PD,ROC,VP,RATTLER,MAGNET
Jesse B 707
Rocstar

Favorite Disc: ROC

Postby Fightingthetide » Mon Aug 13, 2012 6:08 pm

Just got them in the mail. Honestly, the slant doesn't seem too bad and it feels fine in the hand. It is for sure not a true plus mold rim. I'm not really worried about it.
Fightingthetide
1000 Rated Poster

Postby dgdave » Mon Aug 13, 2012 6:33 pm

Fuck Rocs, just throw buzzzes. (that what I'm doing for now. Probably change soon) I just found myself never throwing a Roc that wasn't straight or floppy. The buzzz does this and I don't have to wait for a year or so to beat in a dx
"The Gauge may be the best disc ever"
-dgdave

Destroyer/Enforcer/PD/TD/XXX/Gauge/Suspect/Clutch/P2
dgdave
DGR Postmaster General

Favorite Disc: GAUGE!

Postby zj1002 » Mon Aug 13, 2012 8:03 pm

QMS = beat roc that NEVER changes
Omega - QMS - MD2 - QJLS - OLF/S - DD - Scorpius
Tell me and I'll forget; Show me and I may remember; Involve me and I'll understand
zj1002
metroid cannon

Favorite Disc: QMS

PreviousNext

Return to Equipment