What do you throw for max d?

Golf Discs, Bags, Baskets, Videos, and other Disc Golf Related Equipment

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Re: What do you throw for max d?

Postby JHern » Mon Aug 13, 2012 3:16 pm

Max D (implies ideal tailwind conditions)...Poppy-top (mega-dome) gummy Pro Destroyer...longest ever for me.

Controlled golf max D (in any conditions)...Glow Champion Katana, 175g
Japan bag...
Drivers: Starlite Wraith (158g), Gummy Champion Leopard (150g), 1st Run Z-Talon (150g)
Mid-Range: Star Classic Roc (146g), R-Pro Roc (157g)
Putt/Approach: Legacy Protege Clozer (158g), Glow DX Aviar (150g)
JHern
Please ask me about my insider info on pros! Oh GOD please ask me!
User avatar
 
Posts: 2620
Joined: Wed Dec 03, 2008 1:50 am
Location: Tokyo, Japan
Favorite Disc: Clutch

Re: What do you throw for max d?

Postby pask2155 » Tue Aug 14, 2012 7:04 am

Frank Delicious wrote:Why do you ask OP?


the reason I ask is because I have only been in this sport for a month or so and I was just wondering what you guys were throwing... Marketing is always deceiving and so I like to ask what people actually use, not what is "Supposed" to be the best...

Currently for me the ESP NUKE consistently gets me an extra 70' or so further then my krait, but I need a lot of room for it to fly... So I don't use it much on the course unless it's pretty open...
pask2155
Tree Magnet
 
Posts: 268
Joined: Fri Jul 20, 2012 2:19 pm
Favorite Disc: NUKE/PD/BUZZ/ION

Re: What do you throw for max d?

Postby Jeronimo » Tue Aug 14, 2012 8:27 am

Franks spider sense was tingling...
I am dumb.

...and a drama queen.
Jeronimo
Disc Whore
User avatar
 
Posts: 3611
Joined: Fri Aug 22, 2008 1:27 pm
Location: Maine
Favorite Disc: Pure

Re: What do you throw for max d?

Postby jubuttib » Tue Aug 14, 2012 8:37 am

pask2155 wrote:
Frank Delicious wrote:Why do you ask OP?


the reason I ask is because I have only been in this sport for a month or so and I was just wondering what you guys were throwing... Marketing is always deceiving and so I like to ask what people actually use, not what is "Supposed" to be the best...

Currently for me the ESP NUKE consistently gets me an extra 70' or so further then my krait, but I need a lot of room for it to fly... So I don't use it much on the course unless it's pretty open...
What is the best or most liked by players isn't really all that relevant, because it's all personal. It depends on your form and power/distance level. Even if everyone here that threw over 350' liked one particular mold more than any other disc, it'd be of no use for someone who maxes out at 300'.

If you want to know what max d disc would be fitting for you after a month of playing we can help you with that, but it more depends on what you're throwing now and how far, and how they're behaving for you.

So: What do you throw now, and how far? Max d, control drivers, mids and putters please. How do they behave, early fade, too much turn, nice controllable flips, just plain straight, consistent, inconsistent?
Parks wrote:If the posts on this forum are any indication, the PD is like a Teebird with sunshine coming out of its butthole so hard that it flies faster.
Anode|ION|JOKERi|MD2|FD|TD|PD|LEGENDa
jubuttib
Long Finnish Word
User avatar
 
Posts: 5447
Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 4:30 pm
Location: Finland
Favorite Disc: Orange FR P-Line MD2

Re: What do you throw for max d?

Postby Frank Delicious » Tue Aug 14, 2012 9:14 am

pask2155 wrote:
Frank Delicious wrote:Why do you ask OP?


the reason I ask is because I have only been in this sport for a month or so and I was just wondering what you guys were throwing... Marketing is always deceiving and so I like to ask what people actually use, not what is "Supposed" to be the best...

Currently for me the ESP NUKE consistently gets me an extra 70' or so further then my krait, but I need a lot of room for it to fly... So I don't use it much on the course unless it's pretty open...


Man 70' is crazy. You realize for a lot of players that is 1/5 of their total distance. I would kill to be able to disc up to a nuke from my destroyers and add 70'.

How far do you throw your krait?
Frank Delicious
The Crime Prince of Clown
User avatar
 
Posts: 12364
Joined: Thu Mar 23, 2006 3:43 pm
Location: Drowning in a cold river
Favorite Disc: Wraith

Re: What do you throw for max d?

Postby pask2155 » Tue Aug 14, 2012 11:06 am

well I would say a destroyer wouldn't have a 70' difference... My krait I can take it to about 330' and once I got it to go 340' But that has to be a perfect shot... So the nuke isn't that big of a difference, don't know if it is supposed to be or not, but the nuke goes further more consistently... That's why for controlled drives I always use my krait. The only time a fly a nuke is in a big open space...
pask2155
Tree Magnet
 
Posts: 268
Joined: Fri Jul 20, 2012 2:19 pm
Favorite Disc: NUKE/PD/BUZZ/ION

Re: What do you throw for max d?

Postby pask2155 » Tue Aug 14, 2012 11:13 am

jubuttib wrote:
pask2155 wrote:
Frank Delicious wrote:Why do you ask OP?


the reason I ask is because I have only been in this sport for a month or so and I was just wondering what you guys were throwing... Marketing is always deceiving and so I like to ask what people actually use, not what is "Supposed" to be the best...

Currently for me the ESP NUKE consistently gets me an extra 70' or so further then my krait, but I need a lot of room for it to fly... So I don't use it much on the course unless it's pretty open...
What is the best or most liked by players isn't really all that relevant, because it's all personal. It depends on your form and power/distance level. Even if everyone here that threw over 350' liked one particular mold more than any other disc, it'd be of no use for someone who maxes out at 300'.

If you want to know what max d disc would be fitting for you after a month of playing we can help you with that, but it more depends on what you're throwing now and how far, and how they're behaving for you.

So: What do you throw now, and how far? Max d, control drivers, mids and putters please. How do they behave, early fade, too much turn, nice controllable flips, just plain straight, consistent, inconsistent?


Here's my bag...

NUKE for Max D and wide open
Krait for controlled drives
NUKE SS for turnovers or big anhyzers
BUZZ for anything under 270' and mid range
Challanger for approaching and putting

Most of my drives are pretty controlled... The Nukes get away a little easier and go higher. But I throw with a bit of anhyzer and they s curve for max d. The Krait stays about 15' off the ground and goes pretty straight with a slight fade, and the buzz the same just not as far. The one thing that has been messing with my mind is I will throw my nuke with a little bit of anhyzer and they will just pop up flat and stay flat until they fade out... Sort of a new thing... Don't know why... They still go far, but the s curve is getting harder because I will release it anhyzer just a bit and it pops flat. Have no idea why... and if I put more anhyzer on it, it just dumps... So like i said I'm new to this, but for the most part I think I am fairly consistent with driving in wide open areas... My problem at this point is my release point... In a narrow fair way I release to much left or right...lol... they go far (into the woods...lol) but obviously if I want to release it to go down the path and I go to left or right then game over!

Anyhow... any thoughts would be great!
pask2155
Tree Magnet
 
Posts: 268
Joined: Fri Jul 20, 2012 2:19 pm
Favorite Disc: NUKE/PD/BUZZ/ION

Re: What do you throw for max d?

Postby jubuttib » Tue Aug 14, 2012 11:27 am

pask2155 wrote:NUKE for Max D and wide open
Krait for controlled drives
NUKE SS for turnovers or big anhyzers
BUZZ for anything under 270' and mid range
Challanger for approaching and putting

Most of my drives are pretty controlled... The Nukes get away a little easier and go higher. But I throw with a bit of anhyzer and they s curve for max d. The Krait stays about 15' off the ground and goes pretty straight with a slight fade, and the buzz the same just not as far. The one thing that has been messing with my mind is I will throw my nuke with a little bit of anhyzer and they will just pop up flat and stay flat until they fade out... Sort of a new thing... Don't know why... They still go far, but the s curve is getting harder because I will release it anhyzer just a bit and it pops flat. Have no idea why... and if I put more anhyzer on it, it just dumps... So like i said I'm new to this, but for the most part I think I am fairly consistent with driving in wide open areas... My problem at this point is my release point... In a narrow fair way I release to much left or right...lol... they go far (into the woods...lol) but obviously if I want to release it to go down the path and I go to left or right then game over!

Anyhow... any thoughts would be great!
How far do you throw the Krait? Have you ever tried driving with your putter?
Parks wrote:If the posts on this forum are any indication, the PD is like a Teebird with sunshine coming out of its butthole so hard that it flies faster.
Anode|ION|JOKERi|MD2|FD|TD|PD|LEGENDa
jubuttib
Long Finnish Word
User avatar
 
Posts: 5447
Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 4:30 pm
Location: Finland
Favorite Disc: Orange FR P-Line MD2

Re: What do you throw for max d?

Postby Frank Delicious » Tue Aug 14, 2012 12:51 pm

pask2155 wrote:well I would say a destroyer wouldn't have a 70' difference... My krait I can take it to about 330' and once I got it to go 340' But that has to be a perfect shot... So the nuke isn't that big of a difference, don't know if it is supposed to be or not, but the nuke goes further more consistently... That's why for controlled drives I always use my krait. The only time a fly a nuke is in a big open space...


Going from 330' with a krait to 400' with a nuke is a big jump.

My problem at this point is my release point... In a narrow fair way I release to much left or right...lol... they go far (into the woods...lol) but obviously if I want to release it to go down the path and I go to left or right then game over!


try a driver slower than the krait. You will find it easier to throw down those narrow paths.
Frank Delicious
The Crime Prince of Clown
User avatar
 
Posts: 12364
Joined: Thu Mar 23, 2006 3:43 pm
Location: Drowning in a cold river
Favorite Disc: Wraith

Re: What do you throw for max d?

Postby pask2155 » Tue Aug 14, 2012 1:19 pm

Frank Delicious wrote:
pask2155 wrote:well I would say a destroyer wouldn't have a 70' difference... My krait I can take it to about 330' and once I got it to go 340' But that has to be a perfect shot... So the nuke isn't that big of a difference, don't know if it is supposed to be or not, but the nuke goes further more consistently... That's why for controlled drives I always use my krait. The only time a fly a nuke is in a big open space...


Going from 330' with a krait to 400' with a nuke is a big jump.

My problem at this point is my release point... In a narrow fair way I release to much left or right...lol... they go far (into the woods...lol) but obviously if I want to release it to go down the path and I go to left or right then game over!


try a driver slower than the krait. You will find it easier to throw down those narrow paths.


Hey sorry for the confusion but I have never thrown 400'. My max is 370' ever and it was with a nuke. Generally speaking most of the time my other discs go 300' or under. The krait if thrown perfect I max at 340'. So I guess it's more of a 30' difference.

Anyhow yeah the slower drivers dump on me. I got a teebird to fix this but I bought it used and it's pretty beat in. Any thoughts on this?
pask2155
Tree Magnet
 
Posts: 268
Joined: Fri Jul 20, 2012 2:19 pm
Favorite Disc: NUKE/PD/BUZZ/ION

Re: What do you throw for max d?

Postby Frank Delicious » Tue Aug 14, 2012 1:25 pm

You should probably not be throwing a nuke if you can't hit 400'.

Get some straighter slower drivers, they don't even have to be that slow. Get a leopoard, cyclone, maybe a river or saint. My buddy throws around 330' and has been killing it with the river for a while now. Anyway, the XL, TL, EL are also are very good discs that won't dump on you too hard (and should dump less than a nuke). Maybe even mess around with stalker (which will be pretty overstable to start with).
Frank Delicious
The Crime Prince of Clown
User avatar
 
Posts: 12364
Joined: Thu Mar 23, 2006 3:43 pm
Location: Drowning in a cold river
Favorite Disc: Wraith

Re: What do you throw for max d?

Postby jubuttib » Tue Aug 14, 2012 1:32 pm

Frank Delicious wrote:You should probably not be throwing a nuke if you can't hit 400'.

Get some straighter slower drivers, they don't even have to be that slow. Get a leopoard, cyclone, maybe a river or saint. My buddy throws around 330' and has been killing it with the river for a while now. Anyway, the XL, TL, EL are also are very good discs that won't dump on you too hard (and should dump less than a nuke). Maybe even mess around with stalker (which will be pretty overstable to start with).
What he said. I'll also add the FD to that list, it fits in there with the River.

At this point it's not any specific disc that'll give you distance nor will the high speed stuff be any good for your development. Improving your form and technique will be the key thing.

A good thing to do when starting out is to favor slower discs, and especially helpful is to learn how to throw putters far. A putter can reach 250" quite easily with very little power, but it does require technique, and that technique will help you throw anything. You might also notice that the putters are easier to range and fly straighter from start to finish than other discs. Remember, putters were the longest flying distance drivers back when they were invented, you shouldn't equate them to the putters in golf that are only really designed to roll the ball smoothly and accurately on the green. =)
Parks wrote:If the posts on this forum are any indication, the PD is like a Teebird with sunshine coming out of its butthole so hard that it flies faster.
Anode|ION|JOKERi|MD2|FD|TD|PD|LEGENDa
jubuttib
Long Finnish Word
User avatar
 
Posts: 5447
Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 4:30 pm
Location: Finland
Favorite Disc: Orange FR P-Line MD2

Re: What do you throw for max d?

Postby pask2155 » Tue Aug 14, 2012 6:41 pm

Why would you say not to use the nuke unless I'm breaking 400' ? Again I am very, very new to the sport like i said only been about a month or so... I am pretty happy with my distance I'm not sure what else to do to get more distance... Do I throw harder? Or less hard and work on form? Should I blast my tee bird more? Or is breaking 400' something that comes with time?

It seems like there are just so many thoughts... For now I can rip my buzz straight as an arrow 280-300'. Never thought about a putter being for distance... So I have no comment with this... I will try using it and see what happens...

But I guess my question is this... If I can throw my buzz 300', and then you say go to a slower driver like leopard... Then how far should a leopard go? Or even a tee bird? how far should these fairway drivers fly? And then when do you step up to the big dogs? The reason I ask is because everyone says get good with a mid range, and I am... Then you say i'm not ready for the nuke or krait yet I throw them 300+ with ease... So when do you step up to big drivers? When you are blasting tee birds and leopards 350+ or something???

I guess it's just confusing... sorry for the trouble...
pask2155
Tree Magnet
 
Posts: 268
Joined: Fri Jul 20, 2012 2:19 pm
Favorite Disc: NUKE/PD/BUZZ/ION

What do you throw for max d?

Postby Fightingthetide » Tue Aug 14, 2012 9:01 pm

It's no trouble. Listen to these guys. It's sage advice. I wish when I first started playing that I had stopped at speed 9 for distance drivers, and speed 7 for control drivers.

My best drive took me to about 415' and it was with a Valkyrie. Right now, my control drivers are speed 6 and 7.

Slower discs CAN fly 400+'. They just need proper technique, and not necessarily more power.

And in the end, if your drives are 70' shorter, but still in the fairway, you have a better shot at par than if you had to throw your upshot out of the woods.
Fightingthetide
1000 Rated Poster
 
Posts: 1082
Joined: Thu Feb 24, 2011 7:42 pm
Location: Charlotte, NC

Re: What do you throw for max d?

Postby andrew » Tue Aug 14, 2012 10:49 pm

What's your average score for a round? If you can throw a Buzzz 300', how many times during that round do you need anything longer?
Wizards/Jokeri/Fuse/Buzzz/Gator/XLs/Teebirds/XXX/PDs

Disc Golf (n): A game in which a round plastic object is thrown into trees until it is beat in to resemble its preferred flight characteristics, at which point it is thrown into a lake.
andrew
Tree Magnet
User avatar
 
Posts: 201
Joined: Tue Nov 29, 2011 3:47 pm
Favorite Disc: PPD

PreviousNext

Return to Equipment

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Yahoo [Bot] and 3 guests