Looking for input ...

Post your videos for Critique/Comment etc..

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Re: Looking for input ...

Postby JR » Wed Apr 18, 2012 12:57 am

Oh shit that tightness sure sounds familiar and i remember that when you mentioned it. Now i really recommend being sure and getting the nerve electrical conductivity test to see if there are pinched nerves. They could be elsewhere like the neck or shoulder perhaps even the back. I'm not trained so i don't know from where nerve pain can manifest in the arm. The good thing is that it may not be from an inflammation at least the same kind i had. Search for the term "trigger point" here and Google for a less dangerous possibility that can still be nasty from what i heard.

I'd take a little time off and forget spin putts. From where you need to use painful amounts of arm power in a pitch putt i'd switch to side to the target throw (not putt).
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Favorite Disc: About to ace

Postby Dusty5150 » Tue Aug 14, 2012 7:14 pm

OK I don't what happened to the video i had up, but I wanted to follow up with some work I've been doing on my throw. I'll try to get anotehr video up soon. I was working the field tonight and had a couple of major breakthroughs, well, maybe not breakthroughs but lightbulb moments that made me go 'hmmmmm'. Lots of practise needed but I wanted to share a couple of things are kinda big, for me anyway.

First, I've been getting a lot of flutter, so after doing a bunch of reading, I decided to try and change my grip from a four finger power grip. What I did was try and grasp the disc naturally without thinking about throwing it, just hold it naturally. I found that my hand naturally wanted to go to a Climo type, sort of stacked grip - pinky & ring on the rim, middle on top of ring, then index on the rim with a bit of a gap from the middle. I also really focused on getting my thumb forward. I could feel right away way more pressure pulling into my palm when I squeezed, so I thought I try it out.

Second, I knew I wasn't turning my hips away, and my plant foot was landing less than 90 deg from my target line. The only way I could make this happen was to start from the full reach back position and almost walk backwards into my throw, to make sure my plant foot was 'heel forward'.

Third, and the last thing I realllllly focused on was pulling tight to my chest and getting the disc as far right as I could (I guess this is the pause).

So with these three things about all I was focusing on I hit the field. I threw a couple of stalkers and a couple of trackers that came out way right of my aim and flipped over and hit a tree about 250 away, about 40 up, still turning, so i dunno where the were going. The thing I did notice immediately was that the flutter was gone and the discs seemed to come out of my hand wayyyyyyyy faster. I actually had the 'pphhhhhhht' sound off one of the stalkers, which I had never heard before (I normally just got a 'snap'). Then, I picked up an ESP Nuke, aimed a bit more to the left so I wouldnt hit that tree LOL, and threw it farther than I ever have, with that same 'ppphhhhhht' sound as the stalker; O threw it with a bit of hyzer, it flipped flat, didn;t really fade, and just cruised. I threw a few more, not quite as far as that Nuke, but I knew I might be onto something as it all felt so right. I wasn't trying to throw hard either, I was essentially only walking for a run up and focusing on those three things above.

So I raced home, fired up google earth and I figure I threw that first Nuke about 370, flat, no big "S" .. i was shocked, I figured it was 350 or so. Normally I'm lucky to hit 350 MAX, and thats with wind help, and throwing stable discs on a big anny, ooomphing with all my might. Oh, and there was absolutely no wind tonight. My other throws were around the 300-320 range.

Anyway, sorry for the long post, but I was excited about all of this, and can't wait to get to work on this some more!

Thank you DGR :)
Dusty5150
Noob

Favorite Disc: Tracker

Postby JR » Wed Aug 15, 2012 5:31 am

That sounds good and the Stalker to Nuke distance ratio sounds right. The thing about the sound is that to avoid confusion we term the sound off of the fingers pop. Snap is the plethora of motions and acceleration of the disc late in the throw. That popping sound indicates a slip after decent finger squeeze power and arm acceleration. More pinching power should eliminate the sound and wear of the skin from the slip. Without that popping sound the discs should fly farther.
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Favorite Disc: About to ace

Previous

Return to Video Critique