Setting up a bag consisting only Discmania

Post your Bag Critique Requests, Talk about your Bag set up etc...

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Postby Indy's broken whip » Tue Aug 14, 2012 12:42 pm

I have a problem of buying all kinds of discs, so I decided limit myself to Discmania discs, as there is less possibilities that way. :D I was able to sell most of my old discs to my friend and now I'm going to build by bag around the Discmania's products.

I currently have 176g Fiend/MD2 in P-line and C-line plastics, 2 P-line Maniacs/P1 (171g and 172g), and one C-line P1 (175g).

In addition to above I mainly threw Champion Leopard (150g), which turned bit too easily to right, Champion Sidewinder (166g), which was bit more straight (usually...), Champion Starfire for thumbers, and FLX Buzzz to approaches when I wanted to be sure that the disc would turn over (which happens sometimes with MD2). I only have bit beat 147g DX Teebird which I cannot usually control at all (really strong turn) and DX Valkyrie (168g) which has similar problems to some extent. Now that I'm writing this, I have feeling that I have some problem with turning all the discs. :D

I have been playing few years now, max field distance being about 95 meters, more controlled drives maybe around 70+ meters. I throw mostly stand-still, trying to learn run up also. I have many technical flaws (inconsistent pull, possible gripping issues, no proper weight shift etc.), but I'm practicing constantly and hopefully getting somewhere... I usually throw all my discs from one end of the field to another and back, and I feel that less disc diversity should be helpful also on the practice, as I currently don't really know if the difference between the throws was due to the disc or inconsistent throwing technique.

I'm getting one C-line TD from my friend (don't know the weight), and was thinking of buying two Jackals and possibly CD or another TD. What do you think? I'm also wondering about weight and plastic, can you suggest anything?

Btw, the plastic of P-line Fiend feels totally different than the P-line Maniacs, putters are much more sticky, Fiend feels more like Innova's Star...
Indy's broken whip
Noob

Postby Fightingthetide » Tue Aug 14, 2012 8:36 pm

As for P-line, some of the recent runs have come out stiff and slick. It tends to chunk up pretty bad when you hit something hard. And the P-line in the P1 is actually R-Pro.

The idea altogether sounds doable. Get some D MD2's for understable mids! I use 2 in my bag and love them!

For your distance, I would suggest this for drivers:

Blizzard DD2 - max D when accuracy is no concern
175 C PD - Very Overstable
175 S PD - Overstable
168 S TD - Stable Control
168 S FD - Stable with less fade than a TD, breaking in to understable
168 D TD - understable out of the box

Take this with a grain of salt.
Fightingthetide
1000 Rated Poster

Re: Setting up a bag consisting only Discmania

Postby Indy's broken whip » Tue Aug 14, 2012 11:43 pm

Thank you. I'm wondering is PD too overstable for me, it seems to have same numbers as my Champion Starfire, which I couldn't control at all. I used it only for thumbers and some really hard knife hyzers. Maybe I should get one anyway for those kind of shots and as a learning tool?

CD and TD look really similar, so perhaps I stick to TD only.

I like Leopards, although my 150g Champion Leopard was bit too flippy. FD seems to be bit similar based on the stats, so I'm looking forward of testing those.

Most of the holes in the courses I play are more or less in forest, so accuracy is more important than the distance (low lines are often needed). Lenghts of the holes vary between 40 - 220 meters (longest ones being downhill), most of the holes being around 50-100 meters.
Indy's broken whip
Noob

Postby Fightingthetide » Wed Aug 15, 2012 6:25 am

You could use PD for overstable stuff and a CD or TD for stable control shots. TD's are really not flippy as their numbers suggest (although you can find some that are less stable). They even work decently well into a little headwind.

And do they have P CD's? Because that and an S-line CD would be a sweet fairway driver duo. But even CD's are sneaky long. Which I think is the only drawback to Discmania - they don't have a truly slow, controllable driver. Yet even still, many of their molds can be easily powered down.
Fightingthetide
1000 Rated Poster

Postby Fightingthetide » Wed Aug 15, 2012 6:28 am

Oh, and for wooded courses I would stick with FD's for most of your shots. They can tend to fade a little too much for tunnel shots, but if you can beat one in, and/or find a D FD, you'll be set. They are perfectly capable of hitting most of those distances.
Fightingthetide
1000 Rated Poster

Re: Setting up a bag consisting only Discmania

Postby JR » Thu Aug 16, 2012 10:57 am

Flattish Star Starfires are more fading than domier Starfires. The domier Starfires are only a little harder fading than the PD. Lighter P PDs fade less especially when broken in a bit.
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Favorite Disc: About to ace

Return to Bag Critique / Discussion