Something between a Valkyrie and a Boss?

Golf Discs, Bags, Baskets, Videos, and other Disc Golf Related Equipment

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Something between a Valkyrie and a Boss?

Postby JeffzeNub » Wed Aug 15, 2012 2:38 pm

So I have 2 valkyries and a Boss in my bag, and I have a tough time not turning the valkyries over when throwing them and the opposite with the Boss. I am still fairly new to the sport and didnt want to drop a few hundred dollars on discs that I cannot throw correctly.

So my question is, what would be in the middle of the 2(stablility wise i guess)?

PS - I throw RHBH
JeffzeNub
Noob

Favorite Disc: Teebird

Re: Something between a Valkyrie and a Boss?

Postby ELItheICEman » Wed Aug 15, 2012 3:13 pm

The Wraith or Destroyer will fit the bill pretty well speed-wise; but since you're still new to the game I have to wonder if it's more of a technique issue that's causing you grief with the Valkyrie. Any chance that could be the issue?
ELItheICEman
Noob

Postby JeffzeNub » Wed Aug 15, 2012 4:05 pm

I definitely still have some technique issues, but even when I feel like I threw the disc well the valk seems to fade right, and never come back left, if I throw it hard. Its a great shot that I love having in my bag for a long shot I want to go right, but I guess I just wanted a disc that is a little more stable, but not as stable as the Boss.

I guess maybe I am just throwing the Valk incorrectly? Maybe throwing it too flat? I actually played with a nearby disc golf club yesterday and I was envious of the little hyzer flips they threw, but had a tough time trying to mimick them today when I threw in a field.

Also, as discs get older, do they tend to flip more or less? What causes them to fly differently? Hitting trees, spike hyzers, etc...?
JeffzeNub
Noob

Postby Steve » Wed Aug 15, 2012 5:13 pm

The orc might fit what you are looking for.
Steve
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: OLF

Postby NoLifeLeft » Wed Aug 15, 2012 5:39 pm

In order for anyone to help we'll need to know what plastic your Valks are and how far you're getting them out to.
NoLifeLeft
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: a whole bag of 'em

Postby JeffzeNub » Wed Aug 15, 2012 7:01 pm

DX plastic, I can throw them ~350
JeffzeNub
Noob

Postby Jewdy » Wed Aug 15, 2012 7:52 pm

Steve wrote:The orc might fit what you are looking for.

I agree, get an orc. Star or Champ upper 160's. You will love it.
Crank-Destroyers-Patriot-Rival-Firebird-Comets-Fugitive-Zone-Wizards
Jewdy
Noob

Favorite Disc: Wizard

Postby jubuttib » Wed Aug 15, 2012 7:58 pm

Well seeing as you're throwing DX Valks, the first choice I'd go for is a Champ or Star Valk, before trying to go up in speed.
Parks wrote:If the posts on this forum are any indication, the PD is like a Teebird with sunshine coming out of its butthole so hard that it flies faster.
Anode|ION|JOKERi|MD2|FD|TD|PD|LEGENDa
jubuttib
Long Finnish Word

Favorite Disc: Orange FR P-Line MD2

Postby JeffzeNub » Wed Aug 15, 2012 8:10 pm

Okay so the plastic type does effect the disc flight? I know that is a complete noob question, but I just assumed it was less durable. Would a brand new DX and a brand new Star fly the same on the first throw?
JeffzeNub
Noob

Postby AcesAZ » Wed Aug 15, 2012 10:50 pm

You're opening up a whole can of beans here. Ball of wax, whatever. Generally yes the higher end plastic will fly more stable because it doesnt shrink as much coming out of the mold, same thing with weight. But its not always the case and can vary a ton. Best to check the parting line height with your old one and a new one in the store. Thats the height of the edge of the wing basically, the higher the wing the more stable it will be when comparing the same model driver. (less downforce on the upper wing towards the spin side).
AcesAZ
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: Shark

Postby jubuttib » Thu Aug 16, 2012 4:18 am

There might be DX Valkyries that are nearly as stable as Star Valks when new, though I've yet to see one, but they certainly won't stay that way for more than 10-20 throws. =)
Parks wrote:If the posts on this forum are any indication, the PD is like a Teebird with sunshine coming out of its butthole so hard that it flies faster.
jubuttib
Long Finnish Word

Postby JeffzeNub » Thu Aug 16, 2012 7:57 am

Good to know, I mean obviously there is a reason that the DX plastic is much cheaper, I guess I have just started to get the feel for stability of plastics and I felt like my Valks have been turning over much easier, I thought it was just due to my technique improving and me throwing harder. They def have more than 30 or 40 throws in them and have seen their fair share of trees, limbs and rough terrain.
JeffzeNub
Noob

Postby cubeofsoup » Thu Aug 16, 2012 8:43 am

A seasoned DX disc is almost more useful than a new one. You get a newer Champ or Star Valk and you will have a nice long straight driver and your DX one for right hand turns. Numerous users on this forum preach minimizing the number of molds carried in your bag. So having a few different Valks of different weights and plastic types will actually let you cover a huge variety of shots. As opposed to having a few different discs for those shots.
cubeofsoup
Tree Magnet

Postby jubuttib » Thu Aug 16, 2012 9:18 am

cubeofsoup wrote:A seasoned DX disc is almost more useful than a new one.
While true for putters, mids, many fairway drivers and so on, they can give you years of service, but I really don't feel this way about DX distance drivers. I've thrown DX Valks that started out like your average DX Valk and after a month of normal usage (no particularly nasty tree hits apparently) turn over 90 degrees on a ~380' throw, it's really hard to manage enough hyzer to prevent them from turning into rollers. They're not all that bad, but DX plastic and wide thin rims just don't really mix that well. DX Valks are discs that can be good for a while, even fairly long for someone with really low power, but if you're throwing closer to 350' they usually won't last long in a usable state.
jubuttib
Long Finnish Word

Postby cubeofsoup » Thu Aug 16, 2012 9:23 am

Good point Jub. He will have a nice sky roller disc then :D
cubeofsoup
Tree Magnet

Next

Return to Equipment