titanic

Golf Discs, Bags, Baskets, Videos, and other Disc Golf Related Equipment

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

titanic

Postby money 21 » Fri Aug 17, 2012 1:01 pm

Is the dga Titanic similar to the discraft magnet?
Sole, Summit, ridge, vp, ibex, obex, trak, ascent, unlace, lace, olace, solace,
i have seen monkey sh!t fights at the zoo more orginized then this.
money 21
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: Z XS

Re: titanic

Postby keltik » Fri Aug 17, 2012 2:45 pm

I think a few years ago we determined it was the same mold. I can't remember what kind of tweaks/mods were done. I think the only difference is plastic. I think the Titanic is just an ESP Magnet.

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=6434&hilit=titanic
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=23345&hilit=titanic
viewtopic.php?f=5&t=18273&hilit=titanic
viewtopic.php?f=5&t=463&hilit=titanic

the second link has really good info from a poster named Jerrod.
keltik
2010 DGR Donator

Favorite Disc: Polecat!! Ò.ó

Postby JHern » Fri Aug 17, 2012 5:15 pm

All the Titanics I've thrown flew kind of like a Soft Magnet. I don't really like them. I putt with the Clutch, which is a thinner profile 1st-run-esque Magnet, which flies far better than any Magnet or Titanic I've experienced. If you're looking for a better Magnet, I'd definitely recommend the Clutch.

Also, note that among the DGA sponsored pros in my area, the Reef is typically the most popular putter (it's the same as APX, even says so in the tooling on the underside).
Japan bag...
Drivers: Starlite Wraith (158g), Gummy Champion Leopard (150g), 1st Run Z-Talon (150g)
Mid-Range: Star Classic Roc (146g), R-Pro Roc (157g)
Putt/Approach: Legacy Protege Clozer (158g), Glow DX Aviar (150g)
JHern
Please ask me about my insider info on pros! Oh GOD please ask me!

Favorite Disc: Clutch

Postby Jesse B 707 » Fri Aug 17, 2012 5:37 pm

JHern wrote:All the Titanics I've thrown flew kind of like a Soft Magnet. I don't really like them. I putt with the Clutch, which is a thinner profile 1st-run-esque Magnet, which flies far better than any Magnet or Titanic I've experienced. If you're looking for a better Magnet, I'd definitely recommend the Clutch.

Also, note that among the DGA sponsored pros in my area, the Reef is typically the most popular putter (it's the same as APX, even says so in the tooling on the underside).

Please explain exactly how the Clutch in any way flies better than a Magnet, because to me it just seemed like a Magnet ripoff made in weird pro like plastic that robs it of glide and brings about too much low speed stability to even compete with a Magnet.
http://ufosdg.org/
XXX,PD2,BOSS,KATANA,PD,ROC,VP,RATTLER,MAGNET
Jesse B 707
Rocstar

Favorite Disc: ROC

Postby Drowsy » Fri Aug 17, 2012 5:44 pm

Does it float?
B!tch out + Pitch out =]
Drowsy
Noob

Favorite Disc: Buzzzzz

Postby money 21 » Fri Aug 17, 2012 6:06 pm

JHern wrote:All the Titanics I've thrown flew kind of like a Soft Magnet. I don't really like them. I putt with the Clutch, which is a thinner profile 1st-run-esque Magnet, which flies far better than any Magnet or Titanic I've experienced. If you're looking for a better Magnet, I'd definitely recommend the Clutch.

this is funny, what brought this topic up for me was i won a protegey clutch in a ring of fire the other day and rally like it. I haven't used many different putter over the yers so I thought i would try some discs like the clutch. I knew the magenet was similar but the local store only had softs and i didn't like the feel. I was looking at ordering some magnets and thought I think the titanic is similar as well.

I love the clutch and the protegey plastic.
money 21
1000 Rated Poster

Postby curveball4 » Fri Aug 17, 2012 7:59 pm

Pretty sure the Titanic is a Magnet with a spacer in ESP. Look inside the rim of a Titanic & it has Magnet tooling
Where did that tree come from???
curveball4
Noob

Favorite Disc: any I haven't lost

Postby JHern » Sat Aug 18, 2012 5:18 pm

Jesse B 707 wrote:...Please explain exactly how the Clutch in any way flies better than a Magnet, because to me it just seemed like a Magnet ripoff made in weird pro like plastic that robs it of glide and brings about too much low speed stability to even compete with a Magnet.

It's was supposed to be a replica of the 1st run Magnet. The story I heard is that Steve Rico nagged Discraft for years and years about making another run like the 1st run Magnet, and they never listened. So he got fed up, quit Discraft, and made his own.

The Clutch is thinner in profile and therefore is faster and less floaty than other Magnet-family molds (particularly the ones made with spacers). I like it for its smaller rim depth (vastly better release mechanics for my fingers), ability to push through hyzer, and ease with which I can manipulate touch shots. It isn't good for underhand/lob-style putting, you have to make it fly.
Japan bag...
Drivers: Starlite Wraith (158g), Gummy Champion Leopard (150g), 1st Run Z-Talon (150g)
JHern

Postby Jesse B 707 » Sat Aug 18, 2012 6:09 pm

OK...so it's not better at all, but you like it better, I will accept that.
http://ufosdg.org/
XXX,PD2,BOSS,KATANA,PD,ROC,VP,RATTLER,MAGNET
Jesse B 707
Rocstar

Favorite Disc: ROC

Postby money 21 » Sun Aug 19, 2012 10:35 pm

i have been enjoying putting with it. have not thrown it much just to avoid beating it up to much until I can get more.
money 21
1000 Rated Poster

Postby JHern » Tue Aug 21, 2012 1:17 pm

Jesse B 707 wrote:OK...so it's not better at all, but you like it better, I will accept that.

money 21 wrote:i have been enjoying putting with it. have not thrown it much just to avoid beating it up to much until I can get more.

It's always a matter of personal preference. My first upshots with the Clutch were magical, I love the feeling of throwing a faster putter that flies so true and perfectly stable. And because it doesn't have ridiculous glide like some of the thick Magnets, it is easier to range (doesn't run past the basket too far) and tends to be a much better wind disc (spin is key). My first putts with the Clutch were not very successful, it took a little adjustment and time to get used to it, especially coming from the Wizard. But after a while I started banging huge putts with confident releases, and in my mind that is vastly more important than how the putter flies.
Japan bag...
JHern

Return to Equipment