Another putter destroying basket

Golf Discs, Bags, Baskets, Videos, and other Disc Golf Related Equipment

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Re: Another putter destroying basket

Postby Mixed Bag Madness » Sat Aug 18, 2012 12:44 am

Frank Delicious wrote:Those are definitely annoying but at least they don't have the old number sign on top like the old mach's do. You hit one of those and your disc is like 10 grams lighter.


I had contemplated making a thread about this recently because I was so pissed off after playing one night. It's usually not a problem for me because putting is the strongest part of my game but wind+ProD Challengers+old mach baskets=major ego and putter damage. :x
PA1s-Rocs-FLX Drones-Teebirds-D3s-Destroyers-D1s
Mixed Bag Madness
Tree Magnet
User avatar
 
Posts: 495
Joined: Tue Dec 23, 2008 1:12 am
Location: Grillin N Chillin
Favorite Disc: Pumpkin Rocs

Re: Another putter destroying basket

Postby Wyno » Sat Aug 18, 2012 3:12 am

This thread does not deliver on the promise of the title, less whining more putters destroying baskets please!
;)
Mark Ellis wrote:Most sins can be erased with a blunt edged disc.

Main Bag: Z Surge SS, Z Pred, N Volt, E Vector, N Axis, P Ion, P Anode. Touch bag: XLs, Comets, Rattlers
Wyno
Tree Magnet
User avatar
 
Posts: 269
Joined: Sun Aug 09, 2009 3:56 am
Location: Lurkerville
Favorite Disc: MVP Anode

Re: Another putter destroying basket

Postby ferretdance03 » Sat Aug 18, 2012 4:52 am

uNicedmeMan wrote:I've played with a lot of folks who have played / regularly play Discatcher courses and this is literally the first time I've ever heard of the chastity belt causing any sort of putter damage.

Likewise.

JHern wrote:I'm just surprised that Lat 64 would make a new design that is just like an older (unpopular) design that is hated by a large fraction of their potential customer base.

This is literally the first time I've encountered this gripe with Discatchers. Maybe it's a regional thing.

JHern wrote:Yes, it beats up putters very badly, unless you use premium plastic.
I've never used premium putters for putting, my most frequently played courses have always had Discatchers, and I've never encountered this personally. I've slashed some putters up on the Mach number plates, but not the chastity bellt.
ferretdance03
1000 Rated Poster
User avatar
 
Posts: 1883
Joined: Tue Sep 07, 2004 11:55 am
Location: PA*sevenoneseven
Favorite Disc: glow wizard

Re: Another putter destroying basket

Postby jubuttib » Sat Aug 18, 2012 9:01 am

JHern wrote:1) He wanted a practice basket that didn't catch as well as the DGA Mach 3 (the most common basket on NorCal courses), which would force him to putt more accurately in practice (same idea behind the Gateway Bullseye).
Mach 3 catches even better than a DISCatcher? DISCatcher is the best and most consistently catching basket I've ever seen, hard to believe the Mach 3 could catch even better.
Parks wrote:If the posts on this forum are any indication, the PD is like a Teebird with sunshine coming out of its butthole so hard that it flies faster.
Anode|ION|JOKERi|MD2|FD|TD|PD|LEGENDa
jubuttib
Long Finnish Word
User avatar
 
Posts: 5447
Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 4:30 pm
Location: Finland
Favorite Disc: Orange FR P-Line MD2

Re: Another putter destroying basket

Postby Jesse B 707 » Sat Aug 18, 2012 1:38 pm

jubuttib wrote:
JHern wrote:1) He wanted a practice basket that didn't catch as well as the DGA Mach 3 (the most common basket on NorCal courses), which would force him to putt more accurately in practice (same idea behind the Gateway Bullseye).
Mach 3 catches even better than a DISCatcher? DISCatcher is the best and most consistently catching basket I've ever seen, hard to believe the Mach 3 could catch even better.

DiscCatchers catch center chain (good) putts way better than DGA baskets (mach baskets are way more likely to have cut throughs on good putts) but DGA baskets catch bad putts (out on the edge of the chains) way better than DiscCatchers which tend to bounce your putter off of the outside chains.
http://ufosdg.org/
XXX,PD2,BOSS,KATANA,PD,ROC,VP,RATTLER,MAGNET
Jesse B 707
Rocstar
User avatar
 
Posts: 8225
Joined: Sun Dec 23, 2007 9:29 am
Location: *NorCal*
Favorite Disc: ROC

Re: Another putter destroying basket

Postby jubuttib » Sat Aug 18, 2012 2:50 pm

Jesse B 707 wrote:
jubuttib wrote:
JHern wrote:1) He wanted a practice basket that didn't catch as well as the DGA Mach 3 (the most common basket on NorCal courses), which would force him to putt more accurately in practice (same idea behind the Gateway Bullseye).
Mach 3 catches even better than a DISCatcher? DISCatcher is the best and most consistently catching basket I've ever seen, hard to believe the Mach 3 could catch even better.

DiscCatchers catch center chain (good) putts way better than DGA baskets (mach baskets are way more likely to have cut throughs on good putts) but DGA baskets catch bad putts (out on the edge of the chains) way better than DiscCatchers which tend to bounce your putter off of the outside chains.
Huh. In that case my vote would go to the Discatcher.
Parks wrote:If the posts on this forum are any indication, the PD is like a Teebird with sunshine coming out of its butthole so hard that it flies faster.
Anode|ION|JOKERi|MD2|FD|TD|PD|LEGENDa
jubuttib
Long Finnish Word
User avatar
 
Posts: 5447
Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 4:30 pm
Location: Finland
Favorite Disc: Orange FR P-Line MD2

Re: Another putter destroying basket

Postby inthedrift » Sun Aug 19, 2012 9:46 pm

uNicedmeMan wrote:I've played with a lot of folks who have played / regularly play Discatcher courses and this is literally the first time I've ever heard of the chastity belt causing any sort of putter damage.


Really? I've definitely taken a few chunks and left a few slash marks on some putters courtesy of the top edge of the yellow band. I like Chainstars myself, but DiscCatchers aren't too bad aside from that top edge.
inthedrift
Fairway Surgeon
 
Posts: 692
Joined: Thu Nov 20, 2008 2:42 am
Location: Anchorage, AK
Favorite Disc: Firebird

Re: Another putter destroying basket

Postby Thatdirtykid » Mon Aug 20, 2012 1:33 pm

I wont comment on which basket catches better, but I have even had the rubber edge of an ion catch the chastity belt wrong and got a decent gouge. I was able to massage it back without the use of heat, but it did eventually snag a tree and came the rest of the way off. The mach 3s out here almost all have a piece of weather strip around the nickel, but I have still caught nasty edges on them when I used to putt with med wizards.
Z Pred-ESP Cyclone-Z Force-Z Aftershock-Z Comet-Ion-Pro Rhyno
Thatdirtykid
Disc Whore
User avatar
 
Posts: 3673
Joined: Fri Dec 23, 2005 12:35 am
Location: Longmont Co
Favorite Disc: z pred

Re: Another putter destroying basket

Postby Working Stiff » Tue Aug 21, 2012 9:58 pm

The old DISCatchers are really bad gougers. The edges of the chastity belt were really sharp on the early ones; I cut my hand really badly on the chastity belt of a gen I DISCatcher one time. If you are shooting at a single chain or one with the center chains added, those are old baskets and more likely to gouge. It was a very common complaint about those baskets when they first came out. The new ones don't seem as bad, but you can still take a nice hunk out of your putter on one if you hit it right.

The number plates on the old Mach III's are a mixed bag. If you sail a putt high and hit one, it probably knocks your terrible shot down and keeps you closer to the basket than you would have been otherwise. It will also shave some plastic off of it for your trouble. They do make a protective cover for the edges of those, but disc golfers are basically stupid people so you can spend a fortune replacing those as people peel them off ever chance they get even though they are there for their benefit.

I have a DB-5 where the hooks don't wrap all the way down. It also has knobs where the chain assembly and basket attach to the pole. It tears the crapola out of putters worse than any basket I've ever seen.
Furthur wrote:Either get a lighter one, throw harder, or find a disc with more glide.
Working Stiff
Super Moderator of DGCR
User avatar
 
Posts: 2539
Joined: Thu Jan 03, 2008 1:41 am
Favorite Disc: Ontario Roc

Re: Another putter destroying basket

Postby inthedrift » Tue Aug 21, 2012 10:06 pm

Frolfware baskets are by FAR the most damaging to discs.
inthedrift
Fairway Surgeon
 
Posts: 692
Joined: Thu Nov 20, 2008 2:42 am
Location: Anchorage, AK
Favorite Disc: Firebird

Re: Another putter destroying basket

Postby Three Puttz » Fri Aug 24, 2012 8:51 am

I read this thread the other day and thought to myself "hmmm? I've never had that issue". My home course has Mach III baskets on the course I play most often and Discatchers on the second course. I've hit my fair share of belts and number plates without any noticeable damage. Then, last night, I was perfectly perpendicular to the number plate of a Mach III. I took my shot and it hit right at the top of the basket and at the bottom of the number plate. It sort of wedged in there for a second before teetering off and into the basket. I was stoked that it found it's way in, but the number plate left a perfect cut in the wing and flight plate. It didn't go all the way through, but it is definitely worse than a negligible dent or ding.

This thread was the first thing I thought of after seeing that.
Three Puttz
Noob
 
Posts: 26
Joined: Mon Jun 25, 2012 9:03 am
Favorite Disc: Roc

Re: Another putter destroying basket

Postby 7ontheline » Fri Aug 24, 2012 3:07 pm

I don't mind the belts as my misses are unfortunately low. How about a basket without the damn nubs that often grab the back bottom inner rim and yanks them out of the chains.

Kid, pic of damaged Ion rubber please :P
Magic / Judge / PA2 - Tursas / QMS / Buzzz / Mace - QJ / E / F - Renegade / O / D1

JHern wrote:If your putter isn't your favorite disc, get a new putter.
7ontheline
Fairway Surgeon
User avatar
 
Posts: 595
Joined: Thu Jun 16, 2011 12:23 pm
Location: Midtown Memphis, TN
Favorite Disc: Judge

Re: Another putter destroying basket

Postby Jesse B 707 » Fri Aug 24, 2012 9:53 pm

7ontheline wrote:I don't mind the belts as my misses are unfortunately low. How about a basket without the damn nubs that often grab the back bottom inner rim and yanks them out of the chains.

Kid, pic of damaged Ion rubber please :P

If you'd ever played on a basket without nubs you may think differently, those nubs keep a lot more putts in than they hold out...for me at least
http://ufosdg.org/
XXX,PD2,BOSS,KATANA,PD,ROC,VP,RATTLER,MAGNET
Jesse B 707
Rocstar
User avatar
 
Posts: 8225
Joined: Sun Dec 23, 2007 9:29 am
Location: *NorCal*
Favorite Disc: ROC

Re: Another putter destroying basket

Postby Mark Ellis » Sat Aug 25, 2012 4:06 am

Jesse B 707 wrote:
7ontheline wrote:I don't mind the belts as my misses are unfortunately low. How about a basket without the damn nubs that often grab the back bottom inner rim and yanks them out of the chains.

Kid, pic of damaged Ion rubber please :P

If you'd ever played on a basket without nubs you may think differently, those nubs keep a lot more putts in than they hold out...for me at least


Nubs are a necessary evil. Without them a lot of crazy skips and rollaways happen when a shot hits the rim. One version of the Machs ( Mach 2, maybe Mach New 2?) had big nubs which were really evil.
Mark Ellis
The Big Fundamental
User avatar
 
Posts: 942
Joined: Fri Jan 15, 2010 7:32 pm
Location: Brighton, Michigan
Favorite Disc: Rattler

Re: Another putter destroying basket

Postby JR » Sat Aug 25, 2012 7:16 am

Jesse B 707 wrote:
7ontheline wrote:I don't mind the belts as my misses are unfortunately low. How about a basket without the damn nubs that often grab the back bottom inner rim and yanks them out of the chains.

Kid, pic of damaged Ion rubber please :P

If you'd ever played on a basket without nubs you may think differently, those nubs keep a lot more putts in than they hold out...for me at least


That is true for those who aim to the center of the chains or a little lower. This does not apply to you but playing in winter with frozen solid chains kicking out almost everything one needs to throw just above the Headricks to get the disc in. Throwing so low is also great with laser putts into stiff headwinds.
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia
User avatar
 
Posts: 11493
Joined: Sun Mar 18, 2007 6:07 am
Location: Finland, sea level
Favorite Disc: About to ace

PreviousNext

Return to Equipment

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot] and 3 guests

cron