Mid range anhyzer question...

Golf Discs, Bags, Baskets, Videos, and other Disc Golf Related Equipment

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Mid range anhyzer question...

Postby pask2155 » Sat Aug 18, 2012 7:56 pm

So I'm finding out that a lot of courses force mid range anhyzer shots. What's your guys advice on how to play these holes... I use a buzz and I can make it anhyzer... But there are understand mid ranges out there... Such as the meteor.

So here's my question ... Should I just get better at anhyzer shots with my buzz or should I go buy an understable midrange? And if it is better to use an under stable midrange what would you suggest?
pask2155
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: NUKE/PD/BUZZ/ION

Re: Mid range anhyzer question...

Postby andrew » Sat Aug 18, 2012 8:13 pm

I use a Z Buzzz for understable mid-range shots into a headwind but it really wants to go straight so I otherwise use an Opto Fuse for the shot in question. The Fuse is so easy to just let fly and watch carve the intended route. In other words, you don't have to force it; just tell it the degree of turn. Probably the next reply will mention the Comet...
Wizards/Jokeri/Fuse/Buzzz/Gator/XLs/Teebirds/XXX/PDs

Disc Golf (n): A game in which a round plastic object is thrown into trees until it is beat in to resemble its preferred flight characteristics, at which point it is thrown into a lake.
andrew
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: PPD

Postby jubuttib » Sat Aug 18, 2012 8:47 pm

You should be able to do it both ways ideally, and at that point you can figure out yourself which you're more comfortable with.
Parks wrote:If the posts on this forum are any indication, the PD is like a Teebird with sunshine coming out of its butthole so hard that it flies faster.
Anode|ION|JOKERi|MD2|FD|TD|PD|LEGENDa
jubuttib
Long Finnish Word

Favorite Disc: Orange FR P-Line MD2

Postby Ryan C » Sat Aug 18, 2012 9:44 pm

Different holes require different choices. Some holes are just pure anhyzer, but many times you need to turn a disc over. I often encounter shots where you need to go pretty straight for 200', for example, before turning. Meteors, Fuses, and beat Rocs are all excellent for these shots. There are many others.
Anode--Fuse--Buzzz--Vector--TD--Teebird--Hurricane--Predator
Ryan C
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: Buzzz

Postby Mark Ellis » Sun Aug 19, 2012 6:26 am

pask2155 wrote:So I'm finding out that a lot of courses force mid range anhyzer shots. What's your guys advice on how to play these holes... I use a buzz and I can make it anhyzer... But there are understand mid ranges out there... Such as the meteor.

So here's my question ... Should I just get better at anhyzer shots with my buzz or should I go buy an understable midrange? And if it is better to use an under stable midrange what would you suggest?

This is a shot you need to dial in. Many courses balance their holes (ie.. toss in a couple short anhyzers to counterbalance the many long, tough, tight hyzers) with short annys. So the 190' to 250' bend to the right is a shot you will throw a zillion times.

There is no single right way to throw it. In fact you should be competent getting there at least 3 ways: Flippy mid thrown flat which turns on its own; Straight mid which you bend over; Forehand with an overstable mid or driver. Depending on the exact line and the wind and the elevation you make the choice.

A good way to learn this shot is take a stack of discs to a representative hole and throw it over and over and over and over. Empty your bag, pick them up and do it again. Repeatedly. Once you figure this hole, move to another but somewhat different one. After a couple hours your understanding of the line and your discs will be much improved. One of the keys is understanding at which distances and speeds you need to change discs.

Most good players take a broken in mid and bend it over. This shot is less susceptible to wind than the others and so more universally useful.
Mark Ellis
The Big Fundamental

Favorite Disc: Rattler

Postby money 21 » Sun Aug 19, 2012 10:27 pm

keep throwing that buzz as it breaks in more that turn will get easier. that said i also carry a under stable mid as well which are not only good for that anny shot but are easy to hyzer flipp on tight straight shots as well.
Sole, Summit, ridge, vp, ibex, obex, trak, ascent, unlace, lace, olace, solace,
i have seen monkey sh!t fights at the zoo more orginized then this.
money 21
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: Z XS

Postby pask2155 » Mon Aug 20, 2012 8:35 am

money 21 wrote:keep throwing that buzz as it breaks in more that turn will get easier. that said i also carry a under stable mid as well which are not only good for that anny shot but are easy to hyzer flipp on tight straight shots as well.

what under stable mid range do you use? Or what would people recommend?
pask2155
Tree Magnet

Postby BLURR » Mon Aug 20, 2012 8:39 am

X-Comet. Z-Comet if you have a little bit of time to wear it in.
If the object of disc golf were to hit trees, I'd be 1100 rated.
BLURR
Plastic Fondler

Favorite Disc: Comet

Postby mark12b » Mon Aug 20, 2012 9:49 am

ESP Meteor is awesome for annys. It's capable of hitting some surprisingly sharp and long right turning lines. It's ok at hyzer flips too but kind of touchy for those.
Last edited by mark12b on Mon Aug 20, 2012 9:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
mark12b
1000 Rated Poster

Postby pask2155 » Mon Aug 20, 2012 9:51 am

you think comet over the meteor????
pask2155
Tree Magnet

Postby mark12b » Mon Aug 20, 2012 9:55 am

I carry both :D
mark12b
1000 Rated Poster

Postby pask2155 » Mon Aug 20, 2012 10:05 am

sorry for my ignorance but what is a flip hyzer?
pask2155
Tree Magnet

Postby mark12b » Mon Aug 20, 2012 10:14 am

It's where the disc starts out on a hyzer angle but flips up and goes straight and/or right after a while. See http://www.discgolfreview.com/resources ... gles.shtml
mark12b
1000 Rated Poster

Postby Sean40474 » Mon Aug 20, 2012 12:19 pm

Get an X or D Buzzz if you don't want to change molds. A Buzzz in all three plastics should get you the results you're looking for.
It's all about discipline and focused practice!

masterbeato wrote:...900 feet, everybody is happy.
Sean40474
Colonel Cleavage

Favorite Disc: PDGazelle/Comet/Pure

Postby Thatdirtykid » Mon Aug 20, 2012 12:25 pm

do some field work. I carry a comet but use a buzz for more anny shots. You can get very different lines from different stabilities. I often will even throw a Z pred for an anhyzer in certain winds, learn to make all your discs follow all the lines you can.

A high anny line that I want to work right further I prefer the buzzz cause it will hold elevation after the turn better especially if there is any r-l cross wind.
Make sure to work on putter shots as well, a lot of lines, especially right to left are easier to throw a slower disc and get a dependable right finish.
Yes a comet is superior to the meteor in most any way, especially consistency (although i think I have mostly thrown ace race meteors)
And listen to everything mark ellis has to say, he kinda knows what hes talking about.
Z Pred-ESP Cyclone-Z Force-Z Aftershock-Z Comet-Ion-Pro Rhyno
Thatdirtykid
Disc Whore

Favorite Disc: z pred

Next

Return to Equipment