LYang's Bag

Post your Bag Critique Requests, Talk about your Bag set up etc...

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

LYang's Bag

Postby LYang » Thu Aug 16, 2012 10:05 pm

Fairway (330'-375')
175 Champ Teebird - new
175 Champ Teebird - beat
175 Star Teebird - semi-beat

Midrange (230'-300')
180 C-MD2 - new (opaque/gummy)
180 C-MD2 - semi-beat (domey)
180 KC 12x Roc - semi-beat
180 KC 12x Roc - beat

Putter (<230')
174 Pro-D Challenger x3

For fairway, I'm set with the champ teebirds. I'm beating in the star to see how it flies as it gets worn. It seems like it wears in differently than champ - more turn it feels like. Anyone give a heads up on how they turn out? I was also wondering if the champ teebird can eventually beat into an understable driver provided sufficient time? Are there any teebirds that would work for an overstable slot like metal flake or cfr glow? or do I need a firebird or likewise disc?

For mids, I finally was able to obtain the illusive opaque/gummy (flat) C-MD2. Currently testing it out; otherwise will stick to rocs.

Putters are fine. Would like to try kc aviars but not on the top of the list.
LYang
Noob

Favorite Disc: Teebird

Re: LYang's Bag

Postby JR » Fri Aug 17, 2012 12:06 am

375' with those discs means that speed 12 should be perfectly usable and lighter speed 13s as well. For a familiar slight like a FW only stretched long i'd check out Beasts, non gummy TDs, Surge SSs and domey Opto Flows with high PLH with a possibility for Swords if you like more fade. The Sword doesn't fade hard so a Predator. For big rips a 150 Zero G Quasar. A Champ TB will beat in over a few years if there are rocks around longer around trees unless you hit them all of the time.
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Favorite Disc: About to ace

Postby Fightingthetide » Fri Aug 17, 2012 4:17 pm

Seasoned Star Teebirds turn a little and fade late. I love them. They are not great at flipping up from hyzer, unless it's thrashed. I use mine for tunnels.

As for max D, I second the Sword. I have a VIP in my bag. It doesn't fade too hard, but might need some initial anhyzer to work well. As it seasons, it should be a long flyer. I am hoping to pick up a TP Sword soon to see how they compare. I hear they have a lower PLH. The great thing about Swords is that they hold the line you put them on much better than most high speed drivers. The fade is strong, but will be late if you get it up to speed and give it a little anny. Other stable high speed discs that I have tried fight anhyzers more and fade much sooner. But YMMV.
Fightingthetide
1000 Rated Poster

Postby LYang » Fri Aug 17, 2012 9:12 pm

My current problem with distance drivers is that I'm not getting much more distance. I believe its a grip issue. I've tried the C-PD, Valk, Destroyer. I'll hit 400' with the Valk or Destroyer but its pretty intermittent. For now, I'm focusing on technique. My goal is to be able to hit 375’-400' consistently with the TB. I want to keep the bag simple; I'll venture to higher speeds after.

Still wondering if anyone knows if any production TB's (i.e. metal flake or cfr glow champ) are overstable enough for an OS driver slot? or should I be looking at other discs like a firebird or whatnot?
LYang
Noob

Postby JR » Fri Aug 17, 2012 11:03 pm

At least some TB pluses are hard fading so they might work.
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Favorite Disc: About to ace

LYang's Bag

Postby Fightingthetide » Sat Aug 18, 2012 6:34 am

I would go with a new flat Champ Firebird. No Teebird will ever come close to that in terms of flight, especially on big overhand shots.

EDIT - specifically, no Teebird is going to be a meathook and work as well on niche shots like big skips and overhands. And unless you are playing in strong winds, you should be okay with a relatively flat 170+ Champ Teebird into the wind, with a little bit of hyzer. I don't know about metal flake TB's, but apparently glow champs are more stable...but the plastic seems softer (to me), so I wonder how long that would last. I could be wrong.
Fightingthetide
1000 Rated Poster

Postby LYang » Sat Aug 18, 2012 10:02 am

This caught my eye -- https://www.discgolfvalues.com/store/index.php?act=viewProd&productId=769
Maybe resemble an 11x?? Not that I've thrown one. Perhaps OS enough??

...or am I trying to take mold minimalism too extreme?
LYang
Noob

LYang's Bag

Postby Fightingthetide » Sat Aug 18, 2012 9:00 pm

I dunno. Get one and try it. I would love to know what you think. It might be a stretch, but honestly you could probably make it work.
Fightingthetide
1000 Rated Poster

Return to Bag Critique / Discussion