The Gospel of the PD

Golf Discs, Bags, Baskets, Videos, and other Disc Golf Related Equipment

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Re: The Gospel of the PD

Postby discspeed » Tue Aug 21, 2012 6:54 am

jubuttib wrote:
linkinparkervii wrote:Ive had a CFR PD (Big D in Desert) for awhile now but not trying to find a more readily available disc for that slot. What would be comparable to the CFR PD? I recently got a champ Glo FL and it feels pretty similar to the PD. Havent had a real chance to throw both next to each other to compare yet.

So the main question is, what flies like a CFR PD right out of the box and is readily available.
I'd wager you're looking for something like a Predator. Personally though I'd probably go for either a Boatman or a RESPECTi, since the newer ones aren't as insanely overstable as the first runs.

The Lat64 Villain is good too, though it has a bit more LSS. I've been using it in place of my CFRs on all the same holes with success.
discspeed
Most Gyroscopic Poster (MGP)

Favorite Disc: Ion

Postby linkinparkervii » Tue Aug 21, 2012 11:57 am

discspeed wrote:
jubuttib wrote:
linkinparkervii wrote:Ive had a CFR PD (Big D in Desert) for awhile now but not trying to find a more readily available disc for that slot. What would be comparable to the CFR PD? I recently got a champ Glo FL and it feels pretty similar to the PD. Havent had a real chance to throw both next to each other to compare yet.

So the main question is, what flies like a CFR PD right out of the box and is readily available.
I'd wager you're looking for something like a Predator. Personally though I'd probably go for either a Boatman or a RESPECTi, since the newer ones aren't as insanely overstable as the first runs.

The Lat64 Villain is good too, though it has a bit more LSS. I've been using it in place of my CFRs on all the same holes with success.

What's the rim like on the villain? I'm not a fan of the big rims and would something close in speed.

Going to test the fl tonight. It's really flat like the pd and feels similar. Love the pd but its Damn near impossible to find backups and when you do they're $$$
linkinparkervii
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: Gold Line Core

Postby keltik » Tue Aug 21, 2012 12:16 pm

Villain feels like a Wraith. Comfortable rim.
keltik
2010 DGR Donator

Favorite Disc: Polecat!! Ò.ó

Postby Booter » Tue Aug 21, 2012 4:26 pm

villain is a little faster than the pd and somewhat inconsistent. i threw one villain and it was perfect,grabbed a stack from the same run and only one out of 5 flew like the one i tested. the rest flew like cpd2's

the boatman is very similar to a new cfr cpd with more glide,a new 3rd run non plus cpd is close to a seasoned cfr cpd with more glide.
always looking for:
flat pink/red barstamp buzzzs, ce aviars, pearly pro candy fb's, pearly champion gators (fr or stock stamp),
Booter
Das Boot!

Favorite Disc: square ones

Postby linkinparkervii » Tue Aug 21, 2012 5:35 pm

Booter wrote:villain is a little faster than the pd and somewhat inconsistent. i threw one villain and it was perfect,grabbed a stack from the same run and only one out of 5 flew like the one i tested. the rest flew like cpd2's

the boatman is very similar to a new cfr cpd with more glide,a new 3rd run non plus cpd is close to a seasoned cfr cpd with more glide.

My new cpds are no where near the overstabilityof my CFR. They fly like a new champ teebird with more fade. Got to throw the FL and its pretty close to the PD. Flat, no glide and pretty overstable and not freaky overstable like the new 12x FB
linkinparkervii
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: Gold Line Core

Postby Booter » Tue Aug 21, 2012 6:27 pm

thats why i said theyre close to a SEASONED cfr cpd
always looking for:
flat pink/red barstamp buzzzs, ce aviars, pearly pro candy fb's, pearly champion gators (fr or stock stamp),
Booter
Das Boot!

Favorite Disc: square ones

Postby victorb » Thu Aug 23, 2012 6:12 am

I'm absolutely in love with the PD. So glad I decided to give it another chance. I think I'll be even more happy when I get one of my pPDs beat in. It hasn't been windy enough to get any on the course throws with the sPDs, but what I've seen them do in the field, I'm happy with.

There's something about the rim on the cPD with the plus mold on it that doesn't affect my grip or release. I was super skeptical about it and seriously thinking about just putting a beat predator back in my bag for the slot that it occupies, but I think I'll give it more time. It seems to penetrate forward in it's fade a lot more than the predator does.
Ability is what you're capable of doing. Motivation determines what you do. Attitude determines how well you do it. -Lou Holtz -

*Trespass*PD*Predator*FD*Mace*Comet*Gator*Summit*Judge*
victorb
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: Comet

Postby Thatdirtykid » Thu Aug 23, 2012 5:34 pm

JR wrote:TDK a P PD would overlap with a trashed Pred but not a new one. In fact i'm not so sure that the P PD would overlap with any of your discs to be a problem. I'd try one and give it 4-6 months to break in to see how it suits you and then decide if it is valuable mold for you.

Now that I think about it I think i was still throwing an X Pred and XL combo instead of the cyclones. I think that it would definatley overlap my trashed pred but they would quickly turn into a good turning disc, when the pred never will.
How do beat P PD's roll?
Z Pred-ESP Cyclone-Z Force-Z Aftershock-Z Comet-Ion-Pro Rhyno
Thatdirtykid
Disc Whore

Favorite Disc: z pred

Postby JR » Fri Aug 24, 2012 4:24 am

Rolling ain't the best option around here so i've only thrown it on artificial turf with too much rubber pieces so it is a crap shoot what happens at landing. To me it looks to roll like any other driver so the stability of the disc dictates the curve. P PDs broken in far enough aren't too difficult to roll at power but anny release and back arching with plant step landing to the left of the running direction are needed to roll it consistenly.
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Favorite Disc: About to ace

Postby discspeed » Fri Aug 24, 2012 5:34 am

I'm not a huge roller either, but I don't think the PPD (or any PD) is a great roller. The nose is very sharp which makes it unforgiving and the top has more mass than the bottom, so it doesn't balance well. The flat, stiff PPDs probaly work best.
discspeed
Most Gyroscopic Poster (MGP)

Favorite Disc: Ion

Postby uNicedmeMan » Fri Aug 24, 2012 6:21 am

My trashed p-pd is my primary roller disc and while I don't toss a ton of rollers, it works well when I do. YMMV.
-Find the Others-
uNicedmeMan
Plastic Fondler

Favorite Disc: Gotta be the PD

Postby jubuttib » Fri Aug 24, 2012 9:19 am

discspeed wrote:I'm not a huge roller either, but I don't think the PPD (or any PD) is a great roller. The nose is very sharp which makes it unforgiving and the top has more mass than the bottom, so it doesn't balance well. The flat, stiff PPDs probaly work best.
At least my CFR C-PDs are astonishing rollers, though admittedly I mainly throw finger rollers with them.
Parks wrote:If the posts on this forum are any indication, the PD is like a Teebird with sunshine coming out of its butthole so hard that it flies faster.
Anode|ION|JOKERi|MD2|FD|TD|PD|LEGENDa
jubuttib
Long Finnish Word

Favorite Disc: Orange FR P-Line MD2

Postby TLapham » Mon Aug 27, 2012 6:30 am

Did I get a freak PD or are they really supposed to be Force overstable? Or does it get dialed in straight after it's beat up a little bit?
-Trade List
-My Bag (Always looking for backups):

Pred | Force | DD2 | Teebird | Buzzz | Wizard
TLapham
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: CE Teebird

Postby JR » Mon Aug 27, 2012 9:17 am

A C PD if t is like CFR ones and possibly plus mold might be like that. In other words flight wise a totally different disc to S and P PDs.
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Favorite Disc: About to ace

Postby TLapham » Mon Aug 27, 2012 12:06 pm

Yeah it's a C PD. I'll pick up an S. Probably compliment each other nicely.
-Trade List
-My Bag (Always looking for backups):

Pred | Force | DD2 | Teebird | Buzzz | Wizard
TLapham
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: CE Teebird

PreviousNext

Return to Equipment