Help me pick a putter

Golf Discs, Bags, Baskets, Videos, and other Disc Golf Related Equipment

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Help me pick a putter

Postby DiscSniper » Fri Aug 17, 2012 10:11 am

Got a chance to feel up some different putters at my local PIAS. They have brought in a few discs other than Innova. And I mean a few, one-sies and two-sies...

Felt a Challenger that was really nice and handled a Wizard. Have to say that I didn't like the feel of the Wiz and wish I'd had a chance to check one out before ordering two. The bead doesn't feel right in my hand... The Mercy also felt really good.

I should have my order in the next day or two and I'll get a chance to throw them this weekend.
DiscSniper
Noob

Favorite Disc: Eagle 150 class

Re: Help me pick a putter

Postby Sean40474 » Fri Aug 17, 2012 1:27 pm

Lat64 Zero Pure
It's all about discipline and focused practice!

masterbeato wrote:...900 feet, everybody is happy.
Sean40474
Colonel Cleavage

Favorite Disc: PDGazelle/Comet/Pure

Postby jubuttib » Fri Aug 17, 2012 2:12 pm

Sean40474 wrote:Lat64 Zero Pure
With Zero being phased out, I doubt it's worth it to start getting into them at this time.
Parks wrote:If the posts on this forum are any indication, the PD is like a Teebird with sunshine coming out of its butthole so hard that it flies faster.
Anode|ION|JOKERi|MD2|FD|TD|PD|LEGENDa
jubuttib
Long Finnish Word

Favorite Disc: Orange FR P-Line MD2

Postby Sean40474 » Fri Aug 17, 2012 7:43 pm

jubuttib wrote:
Sean40474 wrote:Lat64 Zero Pure
With Zero being phased out, I doubt it's worth it to start getting into them at this time.

:cry:

I've got 7 of them now and just put in an order for 10 more, so I'll have some for the next year or so :wink:
It's all about discipline and focused practice!

masterbeato wrote:...900 feet, everybody is happy.
Sean40474
Colonel Cleavage

Favorite Disc: PDGazelle/Comet/Pure

Postby DiscSniper » Tue Aug 21, 2012 1:40 pm

Yeah, so I got my order in.... Not super stoked about how any of the putters I picked up feel in the hand except for the Omega AP. It's fairly soft, if a little slick, so maybe this will work for me. I realized now that I know some of the terminology that I don't care for how beaded putters feel in my hand... I guess I never really noticed it since the bead on my Omega AA is all but worn off. Maybe it won't matter, but I'm going to go out and practice putt these guys tonight.

I think I'm going to also pickup a soft Challenger and either a Pure or Mercy (or both :)to try this weekend as well.

What all is available in soft-ish beadless aviar molds?
DiscSniper
Noob

Postby turso » Tue Aug 21, 2012 2:42 pm

P1 Maniac from Discmania is beadless aviar as far as I know, or was it small bead? It might be a tad too soft for your liking.
Frank Delicious wrote:Every groove is a unique snowflake of suck.

NOS, PD, River, Roc3, Comet, Trident, Mercy, JOKERi, XXX
turso
Steward Turkeylink: This ranks means I can't read or follow basic directions

Favorite Disc: FR Roc3

Postby jubuttib » Tue Aug 21, 2012 2:52 pm

turso wrote:P1 Maniac from Discmania is beadless aviar as far as I know, or was it small bead? It might be a tad too soft for your liking.
It's a beadless Aviar, like the Aviars Innova is producing nowadays. Omegas are the SB ones.

The P-P1 and the R-Pro Aviar are indeed very soft, to the point of being floppy. Excellent discs though.
Parks wrote:If the posts on this forum are any indication, the PD is like a Teebird with sunshine coming out of its butthole so hard that it flies faster.
jubuttib
Long Finnish Word

Help me pick a putter

Postby DiscSniper » Tue Aug 21, 2012 8:16 pm

Picked up a EZE Mercy and a soft Challenger locally and went out to the course with the other discs I received today. Threw putts and approaches for about an hour.

Threw the following today:
SuperSoft Wizard
Omega AP
DX Aviar
Omega SS
Soft Magnet
Soft Challenger
DX Birdie
EZE Mercy

Is it weird that I don't really feel any of these putts better or much differently than the others?

Is it that my form is so inconsistent that the putter I use doesn't make one damn bit of difference? Possibly...

When I fondle the putters at home, some feel better in hand than others, but in the field, i can't say it makes much difference to me one way or the other.

I will say that the softer plastics definitely grab the chains way better than the slicker plastics.

The wizard is pretty sweet for approaches. Seems to hold a line well. It putts ok as well, but I'm surprised how stiff and not sticky the SS is that I received. I think it would putt better if it were grippier.

My favorite plastic of all the discs I tried were the soft Discraft models. The EZE I thought was rather slick, albeit soft. The AP may also make a nice approach disk, but I'll have to throw it and the Wiz some more...

I may also pickup a Pure to try at DoDo disc golf on Allentown when I'm up there for work tomorrow. Is there any harm in trying so many different discs together at one time?
DiscSniper
Noob

Postby Samble » Tue Aug 21, 2012 8:43 pm

Try a Polar Bear from Daredevil. It just made me put my Warlock in the milk crate of forgotten discs.
Samble
Noob

Favorite Disc: Rhyno

Postby jubuttib » Wed Aug 22, 2012 6:51 am

DiscSniper wrote:Is it weird that I don't really feel any of these putts better or much differently than the others?

Is it that my form is so inconsistent that the putter I use doesn't make one damn bit of difference? Possibly...
Putting, especially inside the circle, is 98% confidence, the disc's characteristics make precious little difference. On longer putts, in the range of 40-100' the discs themselves start to matter somewhat.
jubuttib
Long Finnish Word

Postby butter » Wed Aug 22, 2012 8:37 am

i love the soft challenger, but before they went to the new stamp w the big X on it instead of the same stamp as the Pro-D. the new ones are almost gumbputt soft and floppy. the older ones are much stiffer and have a chalky feel instead of tire rubber. hope they get this fixed soon, otherwise i'll switch to something else.
butter
Noob

Favorite Disc: Dx EX

Help me pick a putter

Postby DiscSniper » Wed Aug 22, 2012 2:42 pm

My soft Challenger is surely a newer one. It has a nice soft feel to it but I find it to be firm enough for my putting style. I am finding that I actually like these newer soft discs for putting. I think that my old Omega SS is just beat to death making it so floppy it's like throwing one of those old Frisbees I used to have as a kid that was made out of cloth with a weighted ring around the outside.

I visited DoDo disc golf in Allentown PA today. Managed to make it out of there with only another wizard. It is a black super stupid soft.

Had a nice chat with the gentleman behind the counter, who did make it clear that wizards are hitter mess with consistency. He must've had 40 or 50 wizards on the shelf, all marked as super stupid soft, but I can't say that any two of them were the same.
DiscSniper
Noob

Postby jubuttib » Wed Aug 22, 2012 4:43 pm

DiscSniper wrote:Had a nice chat with the gentleman behind the counter, who did make it clear that wizards are hitter mess with consistency. He must've had 40 or 50 wizards on the shelf, all marked as super stupid soft, but I can't say that any two of them were the same.
Partly intentional, they purposefully mix up blends that produce not only different stiffnesses but also different surface feels. Their logic is that everyone likes something different, so they'll do everything and let the people find what they want. Makes ordering them online a total crapshoot though...
jubuttib
Long Finnish Word

Help me pick a putter

Postby DiscSniper » Thu Aug 23, 2012 5:54 am

jubuttib wrote:Partly intentional, they purposefully mix up blends that produce not only different stiffnesses but also different surface feels. Their logic is that everyone likes something different, so they'll do everything and let the people find what they want. Makes ordering them online a total crapshoot though...

Here and lies the problem with me and wizards. The closest physical store to me that stocks any Gateway is over an hour away. To be honest with you I think I'm leaning towards the consistency (from what I hear) of the Discraft putters.

It's not going to stop me from giving them a go however. I'm definitely liking the look of the black Wizard. If I could find some challengers or magnets in black that would really be sweet.
DiscSniper
Noob

Postby butter » Thu Aug 23, 2012 6:42 am

all the black challenger/magnets have a sweet feel to them. i think there's someone on ebay with a a bunch of black soft challengers for sale
butter
Noob

Favorite Disc: Dx EX

PreviousNext

Return to Equipment