Help me choose wisely....

Disc Golf Talk

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Help me choose wisely....

Postby bbpmdj » Mon Aug 20, 2012 7:23 pm

Long time reader(just mocking talk radio callers). Second post ever... New to Disc Golf....
The question is Innova or Discraft... It's all confusing and I have chosen to go with Discraft because there rating system is simpler to understand... Or is it? Before I go too far have I chosen wisely? Why or why not? DISCUSS....

Kind Regards,

Jerry
bbpmdj
bbpmdj
Noob

Favorite Disc: Discraft... I think?

Re: Help me choose wisely....

Postby jwb » Mon Aug 20, 2012 7:28 pm

why limit yourself to just Innova or Discraft? Lots of good plastic good plastic...

Edit: if you're new, keep it simple.
jwb
Noob

Favorite Disc: M Wizard

Postby bbpmdj » Mon Aug 20, 2012 7:33 pm

jwb wrote:why limit yourself to just Innova or Discraft? Lots of good plastic good plastic...

That's a great question... It's all very overwhelming... How does one know what's the best plastic? A point to ponder...
bbpmdj
bbpmdj
Noob

Postby keltik » Mon Aug 20, 2012 8:52 pm

Trolling is a art.
keltik
2010 DGR Donator

Favorite Disc: Polecat!! Ò.ó

Postby bbpmdj » Tue Aug 21, 2012 3:02 am

keltik wrote:Trolling is a art.

So sorry for the stupid question... I am not a troll... Sorry to offend you...
bbpmdj
bbpmdj
Noob

Postby Frank Delicious » Tue Aug 21, 2012 7:19 am

Buy a bunch and try it out. What works best for you is the best.
Frank Delicious
The Crime Prince of Clown

Favorite Disc: Wraith

Postby rwmurrow » Tue Aug 21, 2012 3:36 pm

throw any and all brands. It's not like you have to pick teams before you can play well. They all have good discs to choose from.
Destroyer,PD2, Firebird, Teebird, Gator, Roc, Challenger
rwmurrow
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: Roc

Postby bbpmdj » Tue Aug 21, 2012 6:34 pm

Thanks for the warm unwelcome… I come in asking a question, hoping to get a little help...
jwb wrote:why limit yourself to just Innova or Discraft? Lots of good plastic good plastic...

OK care to expand your answer so I can "Keep it Simple"?

Now I have to admit this is 1st for me that I get called a troll in any forum! Since I am the OP you must be referring to me.
Frank Delicious wrote:Buy a bunch and try it out. What works best for you is the best.

So since I don't have a bunch of money… Perhaps you would care to expand your answer and let me know what might work for me.
rwmurrow wrote:throw any and all brands. It's not like you have to pick teams before you can play well. They all have good discs to choose from.

Well I not really trying to pick teams, but rather brains… Since I don't have unlimited funds what disc might help me play well without choosing teams….

Or perhaps I should just go and stand in the conner until I get enough knowledge to come back and ask a question that is not stupid in your minds? I for one would have thought that this would be a place that a person new to the sport could come and ask question no matter how stupid you think they are... Again thanks for the warm unwelcome!
bbpmdj
bbpmdj
Noob

Postby Leopard » Tue Aug 21, 2012 7:27 pm

your troll detection suuuuuucks

ANSWER:
Discraft being the smaller lineup, it's easier to understand how the production models relate to each other. Innova is trying to fill up a grid of every available flight profile, it's getting a little ridiculous to navigate these relations. Years down the line if you're into boutique batches and collector-grade performance plastic, you'll be looking at semi-vintage Innova stuff. Innova makes golden needles, Discraft makes the haystack.

For a new player starting out, I'd have to say Discraft between the two most readily-available brands. Simpler lineup, more off-the-shelf success in finding "a good one" of any particular model.

You'll need a midrange and a driver in a high-durability plastic like Elite-Z or ESP. Z in warmer climates, ESP if you're in the cold or you like a tackier but less durable plastic.

Good models:
XL driver
Buzzz midrange
Magnet in Pro-D or Soft plastic

Why?
These all fly pretty straight on a good throw. They'll give you instant feedback if you're doing something terribly wrong. Learn to get those flying straight and you're on a good path. They should be immediately rewarding on the course, regardless of your progression.

I AM NOW DGR'S MOST FRIENDLY USER
Leopard
Forward Visualyzer

Favorite Disc: Leo

Postby bbpmdj » Tue Aug 21, 2012 7:57 pm

Leopard wrote:ANSWER:
Discraft being the smaller lineup, it's easier to understand how the production models relate to each other. Innova is trying to fill up a grid of every available flight profile, it's getting a little ridiculous to navigate these relations. Years down the line if you're into boutique batches and collector-grade performance plastic, you'll be looking at semi-vintage Innova stuff. Innova makes golden needles, Discraft makes the haystack.

For a new player starting out, I'd have to say Discraft between the two most readily-available brands. Simpler lineup, more off-the-shelf success in finding "a good one" of any particular model.

You'll need a midrange and a driver in a high-durability plastic like Elite-Z or ESP. Z in warmer climates, ESP if you're in the cold or you like a tackier but less durable plastic.

Good models:
XL driver
Buzzz midrange
Magnet in Pro-D or Soft plastic

Why?
These all fly pretty straight on a good throw. They'll give you instant feedback if you're doing something terribly wrong. Learn to get those flying straight and you're on a good path. They should be immediately rewarding on the course, regardless of your progression.

I AM NOW DGR'S MOST FRIENDLY USER

Leopard,
Your kind answer is appreciated!
Thank-You!!!!
bbpmdj
bbpmdj
Noob

Postby Leopard » Wed Aug 22, 2012 7:08 am

bbpmdj wrote:Leopard,
Your kind answer is appreciated!
Thank-You!!!!

You're welcome. I can't believe these idiots. This was a slice of "real disc golf" where beginners are the enemy and tournament competition is the only way to enjoy the game. The basic attitude of most retailers and hardcore players, who at the same time wave this huge "GROW THE SPORT" flag.

I work at Disc Nation and we think new players, enjoying the game at their own pace, is what will grow the sport. Feel free to shop with us or join our Facebook -- I answer questions like yours pretty often over there. We have a few staffers on this board but our official marketing stance here is "don't even bother." This was a rare exception.

Take care and enjoy your game!
Leopard
Forward Visualyzer

Postby keltik » Wed Aug 22, 2012 8:02 am

sorry, too much DGCR and caffeine lately. makes me twitchy.

on topic: Yeah sure Discraft is fine. just remember you aren't forced to only throw one brand, this isn't North Korea.
keltik
2010 DGR Donator

Favorite Disc: Polecat!! Ò.ó

Postby Mark Ellis » Wed Aug 22, 2012 8:42 am

bbpmdj wrote:Thanks for the warm unwelcome… I come in asking a question, hoping to get a little help...

OK care to expand your answer so I can "Keep it Simple"?

Now I have to admit this is 1st for me that I get called a troll in any forum! Since I am the OP you must be referring to me.
Frank Delicious wrote:Buy a bunch and try it out. What works best for you is the best.

So since I don't have a bunch of money… Perhaps you would care to expand your answer and let me know what might work for me.
rwmurrow wrote:throw any and all brands. It's not like you have to pick teams before you can play well. They all have good discs to choose from.

Well I not really trying to pick teams, but rather brains… Since I don't have unlimited funds what disc might help me play well without choosing teams….

Or perhaps I should just go and stand in the conner until I get enough knowledge to come back and ask a question that is not stupid in your minds? I for one would have thought that this would be a place that a person new to the sport could come and ask question no matter how stupid you think they are... Again thanks for the warm unwelcome!

It is hard to make rational recommendations on discs without seeing how a player throws. Obviously there are many choices and experienced players like to recommend what works for them which may not be best for someone else. How many Little Leaguers would do well using Babe Ruth's bat?

It is far better to pick out a disc in person than through the internet (as is buying shoes). It is far better to buy a disc which you can try out before you buy it. It is far better to buy a disc from someone who can give you tips on how to throw it. It is even better to do all these things and pay a discount price. So the best deal in total is to buy a used disc from a good player or sponsored Pro. Used discs fly as well as new discs. Don't be shy to ask for a lesson, too.

Further I can say as a totally unbiased self appointed expert :roll: , Discraft is superb!

If you have to buy sight unseen and get recommendations from someone who has never seen you throw: buy a Soft Magnet, Z Buzzz and a Z Surge SS. Learn to throw these discs flat and straight and you will be good.
Mark Ellis
The Big Fundamental

Favorite Disc: Rattler

Postby Frank Delicious » Wed Aug 22, 2012 8:45 am

Don't get the surge SS, get like a cyclone or XL instead.
Frank Delicious
The Crime Prince of Clown

Favorite Disc: Wraith

Postby Leopard » Wed Aug 22, 2012 10:33 am

RE: Surge SS, the reason I don't recommend it is its cruising speed being on the high end for beginners, and most of all its wing length being more responsive to nose angle issues. Hitting that speed with proper nose orientation is a skill for down the road. XL, XS, Cyclone, those are on point. Same reason I don't like calling the Valk a beginner-friendly driver.

I'd say with experienced throwers it's crucial to have some metrics on how they throw, what issues they're working on, etc. But beginners, maybe because I've seen thousands of them throw on the driving range, there's a pretty easy base to recommend from.

By sheer geography I happen to have zero Discraft in my bag :)
But I like their focused lineup and I especially like their ever-rattlin' Masters forum reps!
Leopard
Forward Visualyzer

Return to General Discussion