Maxing out @ 300ft...

Information, Questions, Discussion about Throwing Mechanics and Technique

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Re: Maxing out @ 300ft...

Postby dehaas » Tue Jun 26, 2012 1:41 pm

i recall reading in one of the posts in a thread (don't remember which one specifically, it's been a while) that your arm is just kind of hanging out while you encounter the first rotation. it's basically there along for the ride and making sure to be in the proper position once you hit the right pec. or that's how i understood it anyhow...kind of a test to myself i guess to see if i'm understanding it properly.
dehaas
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: wizard

Postby niq » Tue Jun 26, 2012 2:56 pm

Yeah, i understand that part but i'm just not sure what kind of "ride" it's supposed to be. Should it be a ride at magic mountain, or a ride at disney land?

EG: You can power your hips to 90 degrees at full speed and your arm is going to be traveling at 80-90% of the speed you could get it to if you used all of the muscles in your arm, OR should you moderately open your hips and get your arm moving say 50% of the speed you could get it to if you had used your arm muscles.
niq
Noob

Postby cmlasley » Tue Jun 26, 2012 10:52 pm

You are totally over-thinking this. The hips will pull the arm; the arm just gets towed along. When the disc hits your right pec, pour on the coal and go like hell. It should feel as though your arm is catapulting the disc with very little upper body until the right pec.

[edited for spelling]
Morgan Lasley
When life gives you lemons, stick them in the freezer for a few hours, then throw them back, 'cause they're like rocks, man.
cmlasley
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: OK Computer

Postby JHern » Tue Jun 26, 2012 11:17 pm

cmlasley wrote:You are totally over-thinking this. The hips will pull the arm; the arm just gets towed along. When the disc hits your right pec, pour on the coal and go like hell. It should feel as though your arm is catapulting the disc with very little upper body until the right pec.

[edited for spelling]

^^^^ Exactly. Well said.

One also has to be careful for how to pour on muscle after the right pec, some people seize up or clench up on their throwing motion, it has to be calibrated smooth power, bouncy and elastic, not jerky.

It is also very important to recall that after you reach a certain point of development in throwing (where you are more limited by timing and leverage than strength) that the more muscle effort you are putting into the throw, the slower your body moves. It's like one step forward, two steps back. Actually, this has something to do with the way muscle contraction works, and has a scientific basis. The harder you try to throw, the slower your throw will be. This is the essential paradox of high performance throwing. So you have to change up the timing of your throw, going into the right pec with muscles relaxed and working rapidly, and get into a more leveraged position where more power will do you more good. The later you can delay the max muscle effort in the throw, the better. And you never reach max effort while the disc is still in your hands, you are still ramping up to max effort as the disc pivots out of your hand, still not having reached the max throttle, you're accelerating THROUGH the hit...that's where you want to be right now.
Japan bag...
Drivers: Starlite Wraith (158g), Gummy Champion Leopard (150g), 1st Run Z-Talon (150g)
Mid-Range: Star Classic Roc (146g), R-Pro Roc (157g)
Putt/Approach: Legacy Protege Clozer (158g), Glow DX Aviar (150g)
JHern
Please ask me about my insider info on pros! Oh GOD please ask me!

Favorite Disc: Clutch

Postby JR » Wed Jun 27, 2012 6:05 am

My tip is to try everything and see which combination gives the most distance and which the most consistent accuracy.

A couple of local 600'+ throwers say they start to pull the arm at full effort once the plant step lands. Maybe i should check out vids to see if it also looks like that. These guys are beefcakes. The idea is to be able to accelerate through the hit so if the nerves are slow enough or the muscle power sufficient or both maybe maintaining acceleration and ideally acceleration of acceleration rate through the hit could be possible with enough physique.
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Favorite Disc: About to ace

Postby cmlasley » Wed Jun 27, 2012 9:22 am

JHern wrote:
One also has to be careful for how to pour on muscle after the right pec, some people seize up or clench up on their throwing motion, it has to be calibrated smooth power, bouncy and elastic, not jerky.

Good point. Honestly, when I am throwing far, it feels like only my forearm, wrist, and hand are actually doing any work, and it is so short of a pop, like a little jab punch, that it does not require too much effort. To me, this is the beauty of the towel snap drill. It teaches you this late acceleration.
Morgan Lasley
When life gives you lemons, stick them in the freezer for a few hours, then throw them back, 'cause they're like rocks, man.
cmlasley
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: OK Computer

Postby Indy's broken whip » Wed Aug 08, 2012 1:31 pm

I finally was I able to throw over 300 feet! Actually I noticed that I threw over 300 feet several weeks ago, as I just realised that 1 meter is about 3.28 feet, not 3.0 :D

(my max distance on field is about 95 meters...)

I just finished short practice session on field, playing with all the concepts I learned today learning the forum, such as towel drill (I was finally able to get at least some sort of snap), bending the knees a bit (was quite stiff legged before), arm loose (before I clamped my hand from the beginning), weight shift forward using slow x-step (always been throwing stand still without any steps, and couldn't get the weight shift working), disc over the seam of the hand like shown on one of the stickies (still bit difficult to keep it there), and maybe most importantly really resisting the disc release at the end. Lot's of things to adjust and get used to it, but I have a feeling that I'm getting somewhere without touching the advanced topics as Blake suggested. ;)
Indy's broken whip
Noob

Postby JR » Wed Aug 08, 2012 1:59 pm

Congratulations! I think practicing those same things should improve your distance over time even more.
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Postby pask2155 » Wed Aug 22, 2012 7:50 pm

Hey guys read through this. Not quite done yet but im getting there and when I'm getting the short pull and after my right pec and ripping at the hit should I feel like the disc is ripping off my finger tips? Because this is happening and i can hear it and everything. And I'm maxing at 372' right now and going for 400' but like I said is the ripping at my finger tips normal?
pask2155
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: NUKE/PD/BUZZ/ION

Postby JR » Thu Aug 23, 2012 4:15 am

If you can hear it it probably is slipping it should be silent. Do you ever get white surface or the skin or red? Usually those mean a slip and occur with field practice with more shots than on the course in a shorter time.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Postby pask2155 » Thu Aug 23, 2012 8:12 am

JR wrote:If you can hear it it probably is slipping it should be silent. Do you ever get white surface or the skin or red? Usually those mean a slip and occur with field practice with more shots than on the course in a shorter time.

I've honestly never really looked at my finger tips after, I just know it feels as though the disc is ripping (and you can even hear the sound) from my finger tips...

I guess if it is supposed to be silent, then how is that supposed to happen when in order to get the whip and the pull from the right pec forward I have to hold on very tight for it not to just fly out of my hands pre maturely... SO what's the proper release? Because up to this point i thought that the whole point of the release was to let the disc naturally rip out of your hand and because of the velocity of the disc it pivots and rips out from the back of the grip forward... Hence the snap...

Thoughts?
pask2155
Tree Magnet

Postby niq » Thu Aug 23, 2012 10:04 am

the snapping noise is usually (not always) a sign that the disc is slipping out of your hand. A proper rip should feel more like you're flinging the disc out of your hand (no friction or noise). To me, it feels kind of like a hoola-hoop feeling if that makes sense?

I have a similar problem, most of my disc's slip rather than rip. The other day I managed to pinch it so hard that it ripped the skin away from my thumbnail, hopefully I don't make that a habit...
niq
Noob

Postby pask2155 » Thu Aug 23, 2012 10:29 am

so how do you release the disc then? Do you actually loosen your grip as you are at the Hit?
pask2155
Tree Magnet

Postby Stringbean » Thu Aug 23, 2012 11:36 am

No, do not loosen your grip. It is a good thing that you are now feeling the disc rip out of your hands. You are now half-hitting whereas before you weren't hitting at all. Try gripping the disc even harder immediately before the rip. A full hit will feel like the disc is bouncing off of your palm and you won't feel the disc ripping out of your fingers.
Stringbean
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: Panther

Postby niq » Thu Aug 23, 2012 12:16 pm

yeah definitely don't loosen your grip, you want to be gripping as hard as humanly possible at the hit. You don't really release the disc, the disc is just launched from your hand. In comparison, a catapult doesn't release whatever object it's launching, it just launches it, if that makes sense.
niq
Noob

PreviousNext

Return to Technique