New player's bag

Post your Bag Critique Requests, Talk about your Bag set up etc...

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

New player's bag

Postby Petrie Dish » Fri Jul 13, 2012 10:00 pm

I have been playing disc golf for 3 months. After 2.5 months of taking friends' advice and playing with high speed drivers I have no business throwing, I'm trying to dumb things down a bit. This is the bag I have now, looking for ideas on additions/subtractions. Not limited to Innova, that is just what I happen to have now.

175g Star Sidewinder- 275' avg

170g DX Teebird
171g DX Leopard (beat)

2x170g DX Roc(~beat, new)

171g Aviar P&A
Petrie Dish
Noob

Re: New player's bag

Postby JR » Sat Jul 14, 2012 3:39 am

Welcome you found a good site for info. I wouldn't buy new discs you have plenty of learning to do as it is and those are all ok to great discs. At those distances most shots should be made with putters and mids. The drivers are fine for added distance and other than the Leo good for learning to control the nose angle. The Leo does not show nose up well.
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Favorite Disc: About to ace

Postby NeuralBlaze » Sun Jul 15, 2012 7:22 pm

Dude you have a pretty archetypal bag there.

Definitely don't spend any more money on plastic - you'll get way more mileage out of using the money to golf more, get a nice bag/towel/water bottle, have a beer after a good round, etc. If you absolutely need to get a new disc, which I often fall victim to myself, get another Teebird or Leopard, maybe in a different weight or plastic. This way you'll get to learn the variety you can get in one type of disc, and if you lose your Teebird or Leopard (I've lost my share myself), you'll have a replacement. Trying different putters is always fun too, I don't often lose them and they're very versatile discs - they can be used for drives, approach shots, and of course putts.

Don't forget to put your phone number or email on the bottom of your disc, if you're comfortable with that, in case it gets lost. I've gotten quite a few discs back and met some nice people that way, but I happen to live in a very disc-friendly area.

The Teebird/Leopard combination is solid gold and used by everyone from beginners to pros. Some people use Eagles in varying weights/plastics/wear levels, but in general you can do just as well with either method.

I personally use a PD instead of the Teebird, but honestly it's because I have them already, I could buy a DX Teebird off the shelf and likely do just as well with it as I would with a PD. The River has a lot of variance I think, I've seen them compared to both Leopards and Eagles, so you're probably best of staying with the Leopard and maybe trying different plastics and weights if you lose it or find yourself considering replacing it.
Wizard // JOKERi // Anode // Fuse // Axis // Vector // Firebird // Amp // River // PD
NeuralBlaze
Noob

Favorite Disc: PD

Postby Fenrir » Thu Aug 23, 2012 7:54 pm

Ya I would say what you have should work great. the dx teebird can be a really long disc so it should do well for you. If you like the aviar I would say get one more of the same maybe a gram up or down for practice
Challenger-Comet-Roc-Eagle x-Leopard-Predator
Fenrir
Noob

Favorite Disc: z buzzz

Return to Bag Critique / Discussion