Hand pain with wide rimmed drivers

While mechanics are crucial to the disc golf throw, it's important to have your body in shape to throw. Talk about conditioning and injuries here.

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Hand pain with wide rimmed drivers

Postby mattw » Thu Aug 23, 2012 11:39 am

So I recently picked up a Blizzard Wraith to find out if it would give me any benefits with added distance. The problem I am having is that when practicing with the Wraith I get some pretty sharp pain in my hand at the joint between my thumb and index finger. If I push through the pain it then starts to spread up my forearm after a while the pain turns to numbness and then I can’t grip the disc. This only happens with discs that have rims wider than a PD or OLF. I use the traditional power grip when throwing drivers. I should just take this as a sign that I shouldn’t be using this disc but was wondering if anyone has any advice. Is there a way to stretch the muscles in the hand so that gripping wide rimmed discs isn’t an issue? My hands are average in size if that helps at all. Thank you in advance for your help.
mattw
2010 DGR Donator

Re: Hand pain with wide rimmed drivers

Postby veganray » Thu Aug 23, 2012 12:03 pm

Doctor, it hurts when I do this…
Ryen91 wrote:I am pretty sure I am more intelligent then you think and have allot more knowledge then your post might suggest.

Cheers & chings!
Vegan Ray
formerly #21579
veganray
Plastic Fondler

Favorite Disc: DX Gremlin

Postby mattw » Thu Aug 23, 2012 12:18 pm

Thank you ray. :wink: I wasnt sure if you could stretch the muscles in your hand or not. Its probably just a me thing. I should just pull the disc from the bag and use what works for me now. A little extra distance isnt worth it.
mattw
2010 DGR Donator

Postby Itchy » Thu Aug 23, 2012 2:39 pm

I'm not doctor, but if it's numbness and then it spreads it sounds like carpal tunnel.
Gorilla Boy Spider Monkey
TL - FL - Valkyrie - PD - Cyclone - Element - Meteor - Roc Plus - Gremlin - Summit - Wizard
SLO Throwers mini
Itchy
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: S Gremlin

Postby JR » Thu Aug 23, 2012 4:52 pm

Stop immediately! Numbness is often (always?) a sign of pinched nerves and something has swollen badly. That can lead to a life time of invalidity like me. You need to see a doctor quickly. Don't wait that sounds really bad. No throwing and squeezing anything before you do and i'd limit any weights you lift to under 3 ounces. You may have serious injury that can rob you of the quality of your life. Even surgery sounds likely. I had. In a different place with a different trauma that still has some nerve pinching left because some of the scarring pressing on the nerves was inoperable. Before the surgery i was lucky to sleep 3 hours in a day. That was probably once a month. Usually i was in agony and could sleep only for less than two hours per day and in shorter periods. At times i couldn't breathe in due to the pain being more than my body could handle. I sent conscious commands to breathe in and my body wouldn't respond. Once i clocked the inability to breathe in to 104 seconds. I thought was this it?
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Favorite Disc: About to ace

Postby mattw » Thu Aug 23, 2012 6:10 pm

I am wondering about the pinched nerve or carpal tunnel thing. The numbness went away after a few hours but I do still have some dull throbing pain in that meaty section of my hand between the thumb and index finger. The field practice I was doing was two days ago so I will to the smart thing. I will give my doctor a call and see what he thinks. Thanks guys appreciate the help.
mattw
2010 DGR Donator

Postby JR » Fri Aug 24, 2012 4:08 am

That is how the nerve pinching starts to get better. Because it has lasted this long it can't be totally safe. The mildest cases may go away with rest and icing in a week or two and the other end of the spectrum is surgery so it is better to err on the side of caution.
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Favorite Disc: About to ace

Postby juju » Fri Aug 24, 2012 2:59 pm

Disc down...lol
juju
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: First Run Buzzz

Postby Itchy » Fri Aug 24, 2012 6:14 pm

If it is carpal tunnel, then surgery isn't going to really help. It'll take away symptoms but without behavior change it'll come back and come back quicker and quicker after each surgery.
Gorilla Boy Spider Monkey
TL - FL - Valkyrie - PD - Cyclone - Element - Meteor - Roc Plus - Gremlin - Summit - Wizard
SLO Throwers mini
Itchy
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: S Gremlin

Return to Body Conditioning and Injury