Love, LOVE my Boatman.
I am dumb.

...and a drama queen.
Jeronimo
Disc Whore

Favorite Disc: Pure

Re: boatman

Postby discspeed » Fri Aug 24, 2012 5:38 am

Be more specific...I never even liked my Boatman (orange tourney, 1st run to come to the states), it was quite overstable and did not have much glide. I'd like to possibly try another if I know it will be better.
discspeed
Most Gyroscopic Poster (MGP)

Favorite Disc: Ion

Postby Jeronimo » Fri Aug 24, 2012 7:45 am

discspeed wrote:Be more specific...I

No. 8)
I am dumb.

...and a drama queen.
Jeronimo
Disc Whore

Favorite Disc: Pure

Postby jubuttib » Fri Aug 24, 2012 9:17 am

Boatmen are one of the discs I'd consider for the PD slot if I didn't use PDs. They start off very overstable and could handle the CFR C-PD stuff, and as they beat in they first lose the LSS while retaining the HSS to a high degree. They're not as versatile as PDs, the fade is a sharper dump and doesn't penetrate as well, but they're definitely great drivers, both new and beat.
Parks wrote:If the posts on this forum are any indication, the PD is like a Teebird with sunshine coming out of its butthole so hard that it flies faster.
Anode|ION|JOKERi|MD2|FD|TD|PD|LEGENDa
jubuttib
Long Finnish Word

Favorite Disc: Orange FR P-Line MD2

Postby 7ontheline » Fri Aug 24, 2012 2:41 pm

I keep mine at the ready in case there is a big wind in Memphis... but its really never that windy for kill the head wind backhand duties around here.
Magic / Judge / PA2 - Tursas / QMS / Buzzz / Mace - QJ / E / F - Renegade / O / D1

JHern wrote:If your putter isn't your favorite disc, get a new putter.
7ontheline
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: Judge

Postby money 21 » Fri Aug 24, 2012 10:54 pm

if you flick they come off very clean and you don't have to worry about it flipping on you. Think qolf at wraith speed. You can flat get on this disc.
Sole, Summit, ridge, vp, ibex, obex, trak, ascent, unlace, lace, olace, solace,
i have seen monkey sh!t fights at the zoo more orginized then this.
money 21
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: Z XS

Postby 7ontheline » Fri Aug 31, 2012 8:05 am

Its a boatman day... tropical depression Issac (20mph winds + gusts) has made its way to Memphis. Called in sick :mrgreen:
Magic / Judge / PA2 - Tursas / QMS / Buzzz / Mace - QJ / E / F - Renegade / O / D1

7ontheline
Fairway Surgeon

Postby 7ontheline » Sun Sep 02, 2012 7:49 am

Boatman handled the wind better in side by side throws against my control distance overstable slot incumbent, bew/newish max wt. glow wraith. I think it earned another tryout for everyday duties. If it doesn't give up a lot of distance on calmer wind days, I might pull the wraith as I would expect the boatman to remain overstable much longer. I like the that my wraiths are flatter than the boatman for feel in hand but what really matters is how well they perform.

7ontheline
Fairway Surgeon

Postby JHern » Sun Oct 28, 2012 11:59 pm

I picked up a Barsby fundraiser boatman, opto. Nice plastic, it flies a bit over-stable at high speeds, and seems like a disc that will get longer as it beats up. Gregg describes it as a "longer Eagle" when it's beat in. It fits in my bag some where between my Katana and Destroyer, and it might indeed find a place when I need something reliable.
Japan bag...
Drivers: Starlite Wraith (158g), Gummy Champion Leopard (150g), 1st Run Z-Talon (150g)
Mid-Range: Star Classic Roc (146g), R-Pro Roc (157g)
Putt/Approach: Legacy Protege Clozer (158g), Glow DX Aviar (150g)
JHern
Please ask me about my insider info on pros! Oh GOD please ask me!

Favorite Disc: Clutch

Postby JR » Mon Oct 29, 2012 2:20 am

My new TP is like a longer Eagle X of the not super beefy kind. Except the fade kicks in little later and then it is like that in the super beefy SEXs.
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Favorite Disc: About to ace

Postby JHern » Mon Oct 29, 2012 11:52 am

JR wrote:My new TP is like a longer Eagle X of the not super beefy kind. Except the fade kicks in little later and then it is like that in the super beefy SEXs.

The first time I threw it I released a little high and with a tad hyzer, like I would throw a Katana (a shot that should go about 400'), expecting it to turn over some, but it held the mild hyzer line, and then dumped out hyzer rapidly before hitting the natural apex. I think it only flew 300' or so. The second time I gave a little anhyzer and threw it level, it flexed slowly back toward hyzer, and then again curled out rapidly, about 350' this time. It seems to have good glide, and flies quite fast, but definitely becomes over-stable very rapidly when it slows down past a critical point. So it isn't going to be a max distance-type driver that penetrates forward, it is definitely more of a "high speed utility driver." What's interesting is that it is much easier to range and get tight placements than is usual for a wide-wing driver, so it should be better for very long approach shots, or other shots where placement is critical.
Japan bag...
Drivers: Starlite Wraith (158g), Gummy Champion Leopard (150g), 1st Run Z-Talon (150g)
Mid-Range: Star Classic Roc (146g), R-Pro Roc (157g)
Putt/Approach: Legacy Protege Clozer (158g), Glow DX Aviar (150g)
JHern
Please ask me about my insider info on pros! Oh GOD please ask me!

Favorite Disc: Clutch

Postby money 21 » Mon Oct 29, 2012 12:25 pm

have been throwing my vip for awhile now and it is lost just a touch of its HSS so it starts it fade later and is really starting to add some distance. I FH it it and it laser beams out to about 330' then starts to fade very fast hiting the ground about 350'. For me it seems to like to be thrown low which is why it hits the ground so fast. I don't have the back arm speed to use it for distance so i throw it for wind shots bh.
Sole, Summit, ridge, vp, ibex, obex, trak, ascent, unlace, lace, olace, solace,
i have seen monkey sh!t fights at the zoo more orginized then this.
money 21
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: Z XS

Postby 7ontheline » Mon Oct 29, 2012 2:46 pm

I'm still a fan of my merlot VIP. It might be 10% shorter than my new glow wraith but the boatman's heavy dump fade makes it an easy to range overstable distance driver. I use it to complement my orcs on windy days and pinpoint flicks through the woods.

7ontheline
Fairway Surgeon

Postby 7ontheline » Tue Nov 13, 2012 9:49 am

I pulled my glow wraith and bagged the vip boatman on a windy day at the Lee Naquin in Memphis, finished T2. :mrgreen: :oops: I had one 350' hyzer into a left to right swirling headwind crosswind in 25+ gusts. The pro pads are 150' back and right (towards 4 o'clock in the pic below) so that you can't see the pond downhill. The headwind was whipping straight down the power lines from the left but the boatman didn't turn a hair and spiked in safely.

This winter I'm going to give the Tournament a shot for overstable distance driver next to my orcs. Maybe next time glow wraiths, sig change...

7ontheline
Fairway Surgeon

Postby keltik » Sun Dec 09, 2012 3:22 pm

I've got a tourney Boatman and to me it feels and flies like a Starfire.
keltik
2010 DGR Donator

Favorite Disc: Polecat!! Ò.ó

PreviousNext

Return to Equipment