Maxing out @ 300ft...

Information, Questions, Discussion about Throwing Mechanics and Technique

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Re: Maxing out @ 300ft...

Postby pask2155 » Thu Aug 23, 2012 2:09 pm

That makes sense and that's why I hear the disc ripping and making a ripping sound come from my hand. It's like this. At the hit when I send the disc on a great throw so for me I'm maxing at 372' at the moment. Every time at the hit the disc flings out but because I'm gripping it rips out and you can hear it. So if I don't loosen the grip it will always make that sound...

So how do I fix this? Or should I just keep throwing and see if it self corrects?
pask2155
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: NUKE/PD/BUZZ/ION

Postby niq » Thu Aug 23, 2012 2:28 pm

I'm not sure, i'm in the same boat as you (getting mostly slips). I have to convince myself to wait until i'm well passed my right pec actively apply power and that seems to be the ticket. I just have a hard time convincing my body to wait that long. It feels really awkward since i've been strong arming for so long. If you think about it like a car driving around a corner, if you go into the corner too fast you'll blow the corner (a slip). But if you wait until the apex of the corner to start applying the gas, that's when you get the maximum speed down the following straight away. Knowing that, and convincing your body to do it are two separate things...
niq
Noob

Postby Stringbean » Thu Aug 23, 2012 4:14 pm

niq wrote:I'm not sure, i'm in the same boat as you (getting mostly slips). I have to convince myself to wait until i'm well passed my right pec actively apply power and that seems to be the ticket. I just have a hard time convincing my body to wait that long. It feels really awkward since i've been strong arming for so long. If you think about it like a car driving around a corner, if you go into the corner too fast you'll blow the corner (a slip). But if you wait until the apex of the corner to start applying the gas, that's when you get the maximum speed down the following straight away. Knowing that, and convincing your body to do it are two separate things...

Same here, I was strong arming for a year and a half. I've been able to get a full hit a couple of times from a stand still. Like you said, acceleration at the apex was key. I also had success with a bent elbow and upper arm extended away from the body at reachback and then bringing the disc in towards my right pec. Doing that seemed to create a largerer arc. Now I just have to replicate the feel and develop some muscle memory.
Summit - Judge - QMS - Leopard - Eagle - SOLS - QOLF - Beast - Wraith
Stringbean
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: Panther

Postby Indy's broken whip » Fri Aug 24, 2012 9:39 am

I shifted back to slow x-step instead of stand still and changed to Climo grip and everything feels better now. With power grip I had to actively apply bit pressure to keep the disc tight from the beginning, but with Climo grip the disc stays in place without any effort. Now MD2 finally goes straight with fade at the end, instead of turning hard to the right and never coming back. I can get the hula hoop feeling in my index finger and everything feels really effortless. Only problem is that I get a quite big slip on all drivers now as I'm not really gripping hard at the end either, instead of focusing more on the pivot and weight shift feeling, so sometimes with Climo grip my index slips out before pinching under the rim (my index finget is bit short, so the edge of the rim is barely on the first joint and I have to really focus that I get the finger to bend around the rim). I'm afraid that when I start applying pressure I start strong arming again :D Have to start carefully.

Everything feels so nice now that even though my scores have gone to bad direction due to the sudden change of discs flight paths, I feel that I'm on a right course.
Indy's broken whip
Noob

Postby Indy's broken whip » Fri Aug 24, 2012 12:02 pm

I don't know what has happened, I just threw quite effortlessly 320 feet with D-line TD, quite a big hyzer angle at release, flattened quite fast, started turning after maybe 200 feet and small fade at the end. I was able to threw even PDs with light anhyser quite straight with proper looking fade (not as long as TD), MD2 was straight 250 feet, FD is still bit tricky (D-line turns too much even with hyzer release and S-line is really sensitive, sometimes hard fade, sometimes turn, sometimes straight), but anyway, the bottom line is that even with added power and pinching at the end I was able to threw quite smoothly with no big signs of strong arming (although I'm probably still strong arming to some degree, and the release of P1 and MD2 is still not completely clean as they flutter a bit at the beginning).

I'm definitely on a right course. Now where is that maxing out @ 320 thread... :lol:
Indy's broken whip
Noob

Postby Torg » Fri Aug 24, 2012 2:02 pm

I max out at 380ish atm, 310 with a Roc. How come I am unable to flip anything. During field practice yesterday I tried to hyzer flip everything from putters to Wraiths and can't do it unless I cheat and start anny.
Torg
Tree Magnet

Postby Indy's broken whip » Fri Aug 24, 2012 2:28 pm

I think that I'm not properly hyzer flipping them due to the high speed turn, but it's more due to OAT and/or too little spin, which causes a late turn if I have understood correctly. I don't know.

I guess if you can throw so far, you should be able to generate enough velocity to hyzer flip, so maybe you are not pulling straight i.e. when you think of releasing the disc in hyzer angle, you also pull the disc in a way you pull when throwing hyzer shot. Then it won't turn so easily (although I tend to flatten the MD2 sometimes even when I try to throw big hyzer do to inproper release).

Maybe somebody who really knows something can chime in, I'm just making some noob guesses.
Indy's broken whip
Noob

Postby pask2155 » Fri Aug 24, 2012 10:53 pm

Indy's broken whip wrote:I think that I'm not properly hyzer flipping them due to the high speed turn, but it's more due to OAT and/or too little spin, which causes a late turn if I have understood correctly. I don't know.

I guess if you can throw so far, you should be able to generate enough velocity to hyzer flip, so maybe you are not pulling straight i.e. when you think of releasing the disc in hyzer angle, you also pull the disc in a way you pull when throwing hyzer shot. Then it won't turn so easily (although I tend to flatten the MD2 sometimes even when I try to throw big hyzer do to inproper release).

Maybe somebody who really knows something can chime in, I'm just making some noob guesses.

For me hyzer flips are done through the snap. So if you can't hyzer flip I believe (I could be wrong...lol... But I'm pretty sure) its because you aren't getting enough snap or spin on the disc which would imply you are most likely strong arming the disc...

Read you about throughing the hammer drills... Get more snap and it goes further and you can hyzer flip discs
pask2155
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: NUKE/PD/BUZZ/ION

Postby JR » Sat Aug 25, 2012 6:02 am

Indy power gripping and a harder grip or pinch earlier should help with drivers do putters and mids slip with Climo grip? Or just drivers.

Pask you're way off. 180 degrees. Added snap adds spin which makes the disc fly straighter. Not flipping but turning and fading less.

Torg you're a veteran maybe you throw so cleanly that you see how the discs really behave=less flipping than many think. The key is to get really understable discs or start annied.
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Favorite Disc: About to ace

Postby Indy's broken whip » Sat Aug 25, 2012 8:43 am

I started gripping harder today, and didn't get bad slips anymore. Just have to keep practicing in order to get the more consistent release regarding the hyzer/flat/anhyser angle, especially FDs seem to be quite sensitive to that.
Indy's broken whip
Noob

Postby JR » Sat Aug 25, 2012 8:54 am

It could very well be the FD not you. I disliked mine so i donated it.
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Postby Indy's broken whip » Sat Aug 25, 2012 9:06 am

I have two of them, even with big hyzer angle the 169g D-line turns over after 40 meters or so, and doesn't fade back much if all. When I try to release 173g S-line flat, it can behave like D-line (if the release was anhyser or maybe even flat), go straight and fade at the end (when release was truly flat or slightly hyzer), or fade quite much depending on the true release angle (if I gave it much hyzer). I bet there's issues with nose angle also, and how high I throw. I guess I could try to throw bit higher with nose down. I should look more about the height of my throws, haven't really thought about it, expect after I've launched PD high with nose up too :P

D-line TD turns over also when released with big hyzer angle, but not so much, and it fades back at the end. This is the disc that I can throw farthest, abut 95 meters at best. PD's are bit worthless for me, except with sweeping anhysers.
Indy's broken whip
Noob

Postby JR » Sat Aug 25, 2012 10:00 am

You described why i didn't like my FD. I recommend a 170+ Gold Line River.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Postby dgolfing » Tue Sep 25, 2012 12:07 pm

Dude, forget about distance for awhile, play a round forget about it and then come back. before more distance i would recommend more familiarity. in my opinion it isn't so much about technique as understanding how to apply the technique. there are tons of things to try, just focus on the one that make the most sense before moving on

Big vs. Really Big
dgolfing
Noob

Favorite Disc: katana

Postby Steady 26542 » Sat Sep 29, 2012 8:08 pm

I couldn't get the link to work.
Team MILLENNIUM
Team Gorilla Boy
Team Iron Lion
Steady 26542
2010 DGR Donator