974 in Am Masters?

Rules Discussion and General PDGA discussion.

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

974 in Am Masters?

Postby Billym » Fri Aug 24, 2012 4:18 pm

Is there a ceiling for ratings for Am divisions?
I am playing a tournament tomorrow in MM1 and a guy is 974, the next lowest is 945 and the rest are 900-935ish.
Can a TD move this player to either open, am1 or pro masters where they are not bagging?
Destroyer,Sidewinder,Firebird,Eagles,Leopard, Roc, Mako, S Wizard.

Sometimes I wonder why that Frisbee is getting bigger then it hits me.
Billym
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: Wizard

Re: 974 in Am Masters?

Postby zj1002 » Fri Aug 24, 2012 7:57 pm

When you start worrying about a rating you might as well just accept a loss

Low 970s is technically an AM rating by PDGA guidelines. If he hasn't taken cash he can keep playing adv. happens all the time

Go out and win. Worrying a out a "bagger" is only costing you. And it ends being an excuse for most when they shoot 900 rated rounds because they had no chance with a bagger
Omega - QMS - MD2 - QJLS - OLF/S - DD - Scorpius
Tell me and I'll forget; Show me and I may remember; Involve me and I'll understand
zj1002
metroid cannon

Favorite Disc: QMS

Postby keltik » Fri Aug 24, 2012 8:55 pm

I hear the opposite from older guys usually. They play int and rec so they don't have to compete against guys with 900+ ratings. Honestly I would rather play age protected division than have to play with the 18-25 y/o crowd around here.

EDIT: I checked pdga site and there are no ratings limits for age protected divisions.

http://www.pdga.com/files/documents/Pla ... Table3.pdf
keltik
2010 DGR Donator

Favorite Disc: Polecat!! Ò.ó

Postby curt » Sat Aug 25, 2012 10:38 am

The PDGA never forces a player to turn pro. As long as a player hasn't accepted cash in a pro division, he or she can play advanced (including age/sex protected divisions) regardless of what his or her rating may be.
curt
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: Rawww!

Postby Billym » Sat Aug 25, 2012 8:19 pm

curt wrote:The PDGA never forces a player to turn pro. As long as a player hasn't accepted cash in a pro division, he or she can play advanced (including age/sex protected divisions) regardless of what his or her rating may be.

Yes. That turned out to be the case but a whole crew called him out publically this morning(not me) and he volunteered to bump up to Pro Masters.

Billym
Fairway Surgeon

Postby Billym » Mon Aug 27, 2012 2:02 pm

The guy won Pro Master :roll: Shot a 1000 plus round.

Billym
Fairway Surgeon

Postby Steady 26542 » Mon Aug 27, 2012 7:40 pm

Looks like he won't be playing AM Masters anymore. :lol:
Team MILLENNIUM
Team Gorilla Boy
Team Iron Lion
Steady 26542
2010 DGR Donator

Favorite Disc: Omega SS

Postby Mark Ellis » Mon Aug 27, 2012 8:10 pm

Billym wrote:The guy won Pro Master :roll: Shot a 1000 plus round.

Unless he declined the money and maintained Amateur status. :o

The 970's are a sort of No Man's Land. Skilled enough to be widely considered a sandbagger in Ams but not skilled enough to be a threat in Open. In my area I figure I need to average 1000 rating for a tournament to cash in Open and 10 to 20 points higher to have a chance to win it.

In the age protected divisions (40+) a 970 should be competitive except at Major tournaments (Worlds, etc.) where there a stack of 1000 rated players. At local tournaments, (depending on the area) there may or may be old guys divisions which fills. When a player hits Grands (50+) or Senior Grands(60+) the challenges of finding a division are much harder, at least at the Pro level.

Oh and last I looked a 970 rating is too high to allow a Pro to drop down and play Amateur in any event. When I get old enough that my rating drops down low enough I look forward to taking on some young guns in the Amateur ranks.
Mark Ellis
The Big Fundamental

Favorite Disc: Rattler

Postby Steady 26542 » Thu Aug 30, 2012 8:23 pm

Mark Ellis wrote:Unless he declined the money and maintained Amateur status. :o

Yes, absolutely.

Mark Ellis wrote:The 970's are a sort of No Man's Land. Skilled enough to be widely considered a sandbagger in Ams but not skilled enough to be a threat in Open.

I couldn't agree more. In my area we only have a couple Pro GM's. Normally, we can't even get one louzy card... :roll: Same goes for Pro Masters.

Mark Ellis wrote:Oh and last I looked a 970 rating is too high to allow a Pro to drop down and play Amateur in any event. When I get old enough that my rating drops down low enough I look forward to taking on some young guns in the Amateur ranks.

Yup, right on again. From the PDGA Tour Player Divisions, Ratings & Points Factors sheet:
Pros rated < 970 may compete in amateur divisions that they qualify for... This applies only to A, B and C Tier events. Pros may NOT play in Amateur divisions in PDGA Majors.
Team MILLENNIUM
Team Gorilla Boy
Team Iron Lion
Steady 26542
2010 DGR Donator

Favorite Disc: Omega SS

Return to Rules Discussion