my putts are falling to the right of the basket

Information, Questions, Discussion about Throwing Mechanics and Technique

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

my putts are falling to the right of the basket

Postby DiscHer » Fri Aug 24, 2012 3:43 pm

Hi! My name is Rachael and this is my first post on this forum...

Im relatively new to disc golf (2 months in) and i have many kinks to work out. However, my most consistent issue is that my putts, when being thrown from 15+ feet out, always land to the right of the basket. I have tried aiming more to the left instead of dead center only to be filled with frustration when the disc plops happily on the baskets right.

I have a hard time drilling a lot of power into my putts and have theorized that that may be the culprit to my dillema.

Any input will be much appreciated!
DiscHer
Noob

Favorite Disc: R-Pro Boss

Re: my putts are falling to the right of the basket

Postby JeffzeNub » Fri Aug 24, 2012 4:40 pm

Do you throw righty or lefty? What kind of putter? Have you tried other putting forms?
JeffzeNub
Noob

Favorite Disc: Teebird

Postby DiscHer » Fri Aug 24, 2012 5:16 pm

I am a righty and i have been throwing soft wizards in a variety of weights. I have tried the "pizza toss" and squatting as well as the standard.
DiscHer
Noob

Postby Mark Ellis » Fri Aug 24, 2012 6:25 pm

DiscHer wrote:I am a righty and i have been throwing soft wizards in a variety of weights. I have tried the "pizza toss" and squatting as well as the standard.

Keep trying. The "snap" on a putt takes longer for some to develop than others. I know because it took me years.

Because I could not set up in a traditional putting stance and snap off a perfect laser beam of a putt (which looks so effortless and magical when done by good players) I did some kind of half throw, arm swing kind of putt. It had the deadly precision of a drunken butterfly and not much better of a flight path.

That snap is develop-able. There is no way of knowing how long it will take you.

In the mean time work on two types of putts. For shorter putts stand with your shoulders square to the basket ( traditional form). Once you are outside your range for this style, turn sideways to the basket and throw it. When you throw it, throw it softly and loft it in-no fast throws as they will go too far past if you miss. The "shoulders square" tends to be more accurate for most so keep on working at expanding your range (as your snap improves).

Most players start out weak at putting. So when you play rounds start with the goal of holing out inside the circle ( 33 feet and in) in 2 putts. No 3 putts. So if your 1st putt either goes in or stops right at the basket you have reached your goal. Don't worry if others putt much better.

And yes, change your aiming point. No matter how much it takes. Don't repeat the same mistakes over and over.

If you are not a "natural" at putting then practice is what it takes.
Mark Ellis
The Big Fundamental

Favorite Disc: Rattler

Postby JR » Sat Aug 25, 2012 6:38 am

Welcome Rachael. Here is a video of a guy who has designed some of your discs.

What he didn't mention is what is suspect you're doing. Are you laser putting and does the wrist break to the right late in the putting motion and stay there after the putter has left? If it does it probably means you're gonna get leaner :-) The reason is Newtonian physics of motion which show that the arm motion kinetic energy does not go away and follows the path of least resistance after the elbow has straightened. That is the wrist breaks right hard and you'll always miss right if the disc is in the hand once the elbow is straight. To remedy that you need to punch forward faster so that the disc leaves the hand before the elbow is straight. To be able to perform that i prescribe some type of boxing. There are non confrontational boxing classes for women where you just punch a bag. Go ahead if you'd like to but there is a free option as well. Just punch air.

I used Wii Fit program so i had the Wii controllers as weights in the hands. In one winter i gained IIRC 10-13' of maximum putting distance which increased my controllable putting distance more.
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Favorite Disc: About to ace

Postby DiscHer » Sun Aug 26, 2012 10:39 am

Thanks. For the input guys! After reading what you had to say, my putting has improved drastically. I found that if i didnt put sooo much thought into the putt before i tossed, i actually gained accuracy! I concentrated on adding more spin time my disc while realizing that i didnt want to release too late resulting in the putter hitting pretty dead center. as always, there is room for improvement but ibam pretty satisfied for the time being :)
DiscHer
Noob

Postby Blake_T » Mon Aug 27, 2012 1:29 am

late pulls to the right on putts happen when your release is late in your motion.

An easy fix for this is to force the release before you reach maximum extension (before your arm has fully straightened). The term for this fix/style is known as the "short arm" putt.
Blake_T
Super Sekret Technique Jedi

Return to Technique