WHAT AM I DOING WRONG??

Golf Discs, Bags, Baskets, Videos, and other Disc Golf Related Equipment

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

WHAT AM I DOING WRONG??

Postby sparrowcloud » Tue Aug 28, 2012 7:31 pm

So today I went out and bought 3 new Innova discs, the Champion Orc, Pro Boss and Star Wraith. I have been playing with the Discraft Avenger SS and I liked it very much. The Avenger would fly pretty long and straight with a little fade on the end. These new discs seem to not get the distance I'm use to getting and they have a lot of fade, cutting hard. These seem like they have little straight line flight and mostly all hook. What am I doing wrong here? I have spent some time throwing these new discs out in a field today trying to get a handle on them but for some reason I'm not getting the control or straight line flight I like. Any suggestions or help?? Thank you.
sparrowcloud
Noob

Favorite Disc: avenger ss

Re: WHAT AM I DOING WRONG??

Postby JeffzeNub » Tue Aug 28, 2012 8:29 pm

How old is the Avenger? As discs get more "beat in" they tend to lose stability. You probably just aren't used to throwing a stable disc. Make sure you are releasing the disc as flat as possible making sure you aren't nose up.
Also if you were throwing a beat in disc, then going to something like a Boss which is a pretty stable disc that requires a lot of arm strength. I had the same problem, I threw with a beat in Teebird when I first started and then bought a boss and could not figure out what I was doing wrong. I put the Boss away and bought a pro valkyrie and a pro beast. Both are a bit slower drivers so they are a bit easier to throw. Maybe check the technique board and see some of the drills and tips, they have helped me a lot.

PS - I am writing this under the assumption that you are a new player since you only have 1 post.
JeffzeNub
Noob

Favorite Disc: Teebird

Postby jubuttib » Tue Aug 28, 2012 8:56 pm

If an Avenger SS flies straight for you (it's usually regarded as a very understable disc, best suited for rollers) the answer is pretty simple: You can't get enough speed on the discs to get them to fly like they should. In short they're too much disc for you. Faster discs aren't automatically longer, they just have longer potential if you can get them up to speed. And the faster the disc the faster it needs to be thrown to get it up to speed.

By the sound of it you should head towards the technique section and work on your form, and favor your putters, mids and slow drivers for now, stuff around the Leopard and TeeBird speeds. You really should be able to push a TeeBird over 300' easily, closer to 350', before jumping for the faster stuff, especially the Boss. A good thing to practice is to learn how to throw putters long and straight, as you can't just arm them out there, you need to make them fly. A DX Aviar can easily take 300' with barely turning at all with good form, so you're aiming for a very straight flightpath. Putters can go 250' with very little effort when using proper technique. Also work with your mids.

Basically the discs are just fine, but you need to work on your technique, and there really isn't a shortcut for that. Look up tips on the technique section and practice, practice and practice.
Parks wrote:If the posts on this forum are any indication, the PD is like a Teebird with sunshine coming out of its butthole so hard that it flies faster.
Anode|ION|JOKERi|MD2|FD|TD|PD|LEGENDa
jubuttib
Long Finnish Word

Favorite Disc: Orange FR P-Line MD2

Postby JR » Tue Aug 28, 2012 10:01 pm

Hi and welcome.

If you can film a video and post it to the video critique session i'm sure we can give you pointers. Usually people ask about the same things so you could watch the videos in a couple of threads and read the improvement suggestions to see if you spot some things you do the same as the guys in the videos and see how common knowledge here suggests your form should be adjusted for greater distance, accuracy and consistency. People are often surprised by how they really throw vs how they think they throw.
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Favorite Disc: About to ace

Postby JeffzeNub » Tue Aug 28, 2012 10:09 pm

JR wrote:Hi and welcome.

If you can film a video and post it to the video critique session i'm sure we can give you pointers. Usually people ask about the same things so you could watch the videos in a couple of threads and read the improvement suggestions to see if you spot some things you do the same as the guys in the videos and see how common knowledge here suggests your form should be adjusted for greater distance, accuracy and consistency. People are often surprised by how they really throw vs how they think they throw.

JR is very helpful :D . He's been helping me for ~2 weeks now. Just seeing myself throw helped me figure out what I'm doing wrong and how to fix it.

Also, viewtopic.php?f=2&t=16139&start=30 , on page 3 about halfway down, there are still frames of a pro(Avery Jenkins) during his throw from his reachback to his release. It has helped me a lot with my timing.
JeffzeNub
Noob

Favorite Disc: Teebird

Postby JR » Wed Aug 29, 2012 4:44 pm

Those stills are captured from a video mafa and i did at the Tali open 2009 with Avery:
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Favorite Disc: About to ace

Return to Equipment