few quick questions

Golf Discs, Bags, Baskets, Videos, and other Disc Golf Related Equipment

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

few quick questions

Postby Fenrir » Wed Aug 29, 2012 12:39 am

So my girlfriend has said she wants to try disc golfing with me and I wanna know what works good for girls? I'm thinking a lat 64 diamond at 159 as a driver.
She has tried my challengers and liked um mine are 171g so maybe like 165g for her?
Also I just changed to rocs do you think that would work for her? If so do you think 170g ish?
Anything would help thanks
Challenger-Comet-Roc-Eagle x-Leopard-Predator
Fenrir
Noob

Favorite Disc: z buzzz

Re: few quick questions

Postby JR » Wed Aug 29, 2012 4:41 pm

People are different so who knows without more info. Roc bead may be a pro or a con so i'd ask if she has an opinion about it. Since she likes the Challenger the bead may not be an issue since tall discs seem to suit her. I just played with a woman on her first year throwing almost 250' and earlier this year saw another FH 250'+ hyzers that were a little nose up and too high on her third session. Make no mistake about it there are athletes among new female players and that counts the most along with the feel of the disc so hand over different discs for gripping and then ripping to find out which are the nicest ones to start with and after observing how the discs fly you'll know better.
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Favorite Disc: About to ace

Postby Fenrir » Wed Aug 29, 2012 5:17 pm

Ok she has tossed some putts with my challengers and seemed to really like um and she loved the feeling of opto so that's what got me thinking about some lat discs
Challenger-Comet-Roc-Eagle x-Leopard-Predator
Fenrir
Noob

Favorite Disc: z buzzz

Postby JR » Wed Aug 29, 2012 8:35 pm

The surface feel does matter but even more important is the shape for avoiding finger sticking/scraping/grip locks and lightness of the pinch. The wider the wing the more underpowered the grip will become. I assume that most start out with too light of a grip. Regardless of gender. Diamond is thin winged but tall domed so it may be an issue. Feel wise i'd let her pick what feels the best for her. You know her power so i wouldn't give her too higher power requirement discs. What the proper power level is hasn't been divulged so there's too little data for suggesting specific discs, plastics and weights. Not to mention stabilities. If the Diamond is too flippy for her Opto River would be the next step up and not knowing her power makes suggestions dangerous but i'd stay at under 170 for novice ladies. Except for now i recommend mids only especially if the Diamond is too much.
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Favorite Disc: About to ace

Postby Flipflat » Wed Aug 29, 2012 8:40 pm

People who are just starting out usually like straight discs. I'd suggest a ESP Buzzz and a lightweight champ Leopard.
I would like your X-Wasps, please.
Flipflat
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: buzzz

Return to Equipment