FTT's Bag

Post your Bag Critique Requests, Talk about your Bag set up etc...

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Re: FTT's Bag

Postby Fightingthetide » Sat Aug 18, 2012 11:40 am

I appreciate that JR. It's good to hear that I need to cool it and stick with what I have for now. I'll add a Leopard and stop there for now as far as molds go.
Fightingthetide
1000 Rated Poster

Postby JR » Sun Aug 19, 2012 8:07 am

i think you should stick with the discs you have this season so that you'll see how they'll fare in different temperatures, moisture, winds, traction on the ground, full power, powered down on all lines and apex heights. That way you have yardstick discs for each condition and a clear view on the strengths and weaknesses of the discs you have so that you know exactly what bugs you and into which direction you want any single role fulfilling disc to change if there is a better disc available for your preference. That way you can start the next season with a bag that suits you well. We also need to account for your growth as a player form and power wise. After playing for a few months in different conditions we might be able to find the best discs available for your needs and preferences.
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Favorite Disc: About to ace

FTT's Bag

Postby Fightingthetide » Sun Aug 19, 2012 6:06 pm

Sounds like a plan. I'll put a freeze on buying new discs, unless I lose one. I have a few discs on the way (no new molds), so I should have a good stock.

Sticking with the following molds: Firebird, Valk, Teebird, Leopard, Gator, Roc, P2, Magic. The only difference is that I'll have my beat D MD2's in the bag until my DX Rocs start to get flippy.

On a fun note, during some warmup throws, I had my longest toss today. This is a 432' hole, #2 at Hornest Nest in Charlotte. The basket says 7, which I think is from the Worlds layout. I had a very slight tailwind and my 170 Star Valk flipped up from a small hyzer and didn't want to stop. It's such a sweet disc. The plastic is a super-transparent champystar.

EDIT - I'm keeping my SS Magic around for touch and right turning approach shots. That gives me 8 molds.

Last edited by Fightingthetide on Mon Aug 20, 2012 6:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
Fightingthetide
1000 Rated Poster

Postby JR » Mon Aug 20, 2012 12:29 am

:-D
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Postby Fightingthetide » Sat Aug 25, 2012 6:32 pm

Does Glo Champ break in faster than Champ? Working on my Teebird cycle. So far I have 4 ranging from overstable to stable, and 1 DX.

And is a Gator necessary? Or should I just work with Rocs on more hyzer? I'm leaning toward the latter, simply to keep working with one mold for mids and to learn them well.
Fightingthetide
1000 Rated Poster

Postby Roottori » Sun Aug 26, 2012 12:11 am

I recently switched my mid set up to all Rocs, and I have done just fine with them. New, flat, max weight KC Pro Roc is quite overstable, and I haven't felt like I needed more overstable mid. If I need more fade or I face ridiculous headwinds, I power down my Predator. I don't know how well Firebird powers down, but I guess you could do the same with it.
Roottori
Noob

Favorite Disc: Comet

Postby JR » Mon Aug 27, 2012 9:35 am

IDK about the Glo Champ because i lost the only one i have had so far too soon. Gator is great but is a matter of depth perception and the ability to power down if you can replace it with a powered down OS driver. It ain't a 100 % replacement but with enough skill you can make do almost each time. One thing that drivers can't match is the structural durability of the Gator. No matter which driver you spike hyzer with onto rocks you can't expect to endure as long as the Gator.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

FTT's Bag

Postby Fightingthetide » Mon Aug 27, 2012 8:58 pm

edit - see below
Last edited by Fightingthetide on Wed Aug 29, 2012 6:37 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Fightingthetide
1000 Rated Poster

Postby Fightingthetide » Wed Aug 29, 2012 6:35 pm

Done buying discs until I need to replenish some (and when P P2's get released). I have a stock of 29 discs in all, across 10 molds.

In the bag: 14 discs across 9 molds (dropping to 6 or 7 in the future once some break in) in a Fade Crunch Box. Let me know where I might have overlap or something missing.

Putters:
170 SS Magic - jump putts and understable drives/up-shots
170 D P2 - putts, seasoned and depressed flight plate
172 D P2 - drives and up-shots, breaking in to straight
175 S P2 - drives and up-shots, hefty fade

Mids:
180 D MD2 - beat
176 DX roc - getting used primarily until it breaks in
180 KC Roc - new

Drivers:
172 Pro Leopard - turnovers
169 Star Leopard - turn and fade
171 Star Teebird - stable
175 Glow Champ Teebird - high PLH and domey
175 12x "Kenny" Champ Firebird - beefy

Max D:
170 Star Valkyrie - seasoned, slightly understable
169 VIP Sword - more stable, breaking it in
Fightingthetide
1000 Rated Poster

Postby JR » Wed Aug 29, 2012 8:47 pm

Depending on how you use the discs you might not have terrible overlap with the MD2 and the Roc. How hard does the Sword fade for you? Can it replace the Firebird when powered down? One of the P2s might be easy to drop because having two is more than some use or need. Especially when you carry one mold. There are people who use just one putter for everything. Not me but there are those and some discs might pull it off well enough especially when mids are used well enough. P2 can cover most putter shots. A single one too but for tourneys back ups are always good.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Postby Fightingthetide » Wed Aug 29, 2012 8:54 pm

JR wrote:Depending on how you use the discs you might not have terrible overlap with the MD2 and the Roc.

MD2's turn right (RHBH) quicker/sooner than Rocs, and need more initial hyzer since they are beat. My DX Rocs are still breaking in. Oh, and MD2's don't fade unless they have nose-up, height, low power, and/or a lot of initial hyzer. How might a beat Roc and beat MD2 differ from each other?

JR wrote:How hard does the Sword fade for you? Can it replace the Firebird when powered down?

It doesn't fade that hard to be comparable to a Firebird, even when powered down. And I like the size of the FB rim for overhand shots - which is only what I use it for...that and skip shots. Is this a question primarily for the purpose of dropping a mold? And because I only have one FB in the bag?

JR wrote:One of the P2s might be easy to drop because having two is more than some use or need. Especially when you carry one mold. There are people who use just one putter for everything. Not me but there are those and some discs might pull it off well enough especially when mids are used well enough. P2 can cover most putter shots. A single one too but for tourneys back ups are always good.

I used my 170 D P2 as a do-all putter for quite a while. It's seasoned really well and I love it for putts. The S P2 is a lot beefier and I am trying to learn it as my stable driving putter. The other D P2 would be for straighter drives and approach shots when I don't want to get my putting P2 dirty. And the Magic is for right turning drives...but I think with a little more time, my beat D P2 will replace it. So with that in mind, am I still amiss by carrying 3 P2's?
Fightingthetide
1000 Rated Poster

Postby JR » Wed Aug 29, 2012 9:01 pm

1 Speed the MD2 is faster and can fly farther but a beaten Roc will flip too but probably not move right as fast.
2 Yes.
3 Amiss is too strong but you should definitely try practice rounds with just a single P2 and try to shape lines to really get to know how it flies and then you're armed with data on the shortcomings of the disc that you want to fix with different shot, form, disc of another type (mid usually) or another putter. Finding a good companion putter should be easier armed with that data.-
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Postby Fightingthetide » Thu Aug 30, 2012 8:20 am

I'll get out to the field and try my D MD2's on longer lines, my Teebirds and Sword for overhand and skip shots, and take my D P2 for a putter round...though I've been using it as my only putter since May. I already have a decent idea of how it works on varying lines.

Roottori wrote:I recently switched my mid set up to all Rocs, and I have done just fine with them.

What are you using for quick right turns? Does a DX Rancho Roc eventually work for this shot?

Right now, my most seasoned DX Roc will turn right and finish right on a rull rip, but very late compared to my D MD2's.
Fightingthetide
1000 Rated Poster

Postby Roottori » Thu Aug 30, 2012 10:50 am

My beat up Roc doesn't turn very quickly yet, but it does turn very reliably. And of course it gets better and better with every tree whack it takes. But depending on what the hole looks like, I either throw my Roc with little anhyzer or if I need the disc turn over quicker I just usually throw my beat up Aviar.
Roottori
Noob

Favorite Disc: Comet

Postby Fightingthetide » Thu Aug 30, 2012 11:03 am

Yeah I was thinking my Pro Leopard, once beat, would take a quick right turn...as would my Magic. It just depends on how far the turn is.

So other than that, I feel like my bag is headed in the right direction. Field work tomorrow morning.
Fightingthetide
1000 Rated Poster

PreviousNext

Return to Bag Critique / Discussion