magnet vs clutch

Golf Discs, Bags, Baskets, Videos, and other Disc Golf Related Equipment

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

magnet vs clutch

Postby money 21 » Wed Aug 29, 2012 11:39 am

Picked up a clutch the other day and love the way it putts. I have heard that it is very similar to a magenet and was wondering which magnet would be closest to the protegey clutch? I have some tourney script at a store that sell discraft in a town about 80 miles from where i live and though i would pick up some magnets with it.
Summit, money, vp, flying squirrel, ibex, obex, trak, ascent, unlace, beeline, lace, olace, Prometheus
i have seen monkey sh!t fights at the zoo more orginized then this.
money 21
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: Z XS

Re: magnet vs clutch

Postby Mark Ellis » Wed Aug 29, 2012 12:58 pm

money 21 wrote:Picked up a clutch the other day and love the way it putts. I have heard that it is very similar to a magenet and was wondering which magnet would be closest to the protegey clutch? I have some tourney script at a store that sell discraft in a town about 80 miles from where i live and though i would pick up some magnets with it.

As I write this I am inspecting a Magnet and a Clutch, both in brand new condition. Based on the eyeball test a Clutch looks like an exact knockoff of a Magnet. So pick up Magnets in any plastic you like the feel of.

Since there have been lots (hundreds?) of runs of Magnets and only a few or less for the Clutch there are probably more differences among runs of Magnets compared to any Clutch (so any Clutch will likely resemble some run of Magnet). From a personal standpoint the Clutch I have (the hotstamp claims it is from the Protege Edition) is domey as are some Magnets. The Magnets I prefer are the flat or slightly concave ones.

I have carried Magnets in my tournament bag for the last 15 years, both for putting and upshot/short drive duties. Of the last few years, and I'm completely sure why, I putt with Hard Magnets and upshoot with Soft ones. Probably because I tend to grip harder when putting than I do on upshots. Or maybe it is just a little superstition from prior successful shots. I don't upshoot and putt with the same disc because I don't want to take the time to wipe off an upshot disc before I putt with it. And I don't putt until I'm sure my putter is dry. That last bit was a non-responsive rant but you already knew that.

If I were limited to one mold for a putter I would pick a Magnet. Since I'm not I also carry Rattlers.
Mark Ellis
The Big Fundamental

Favorite Disc: Rattler

Postby money 21 » Wed Aug 29, 2012 11:19 pm

so i picked up 3 magnets today a green the is very firm a soft in lght blue and a pink that is in between. after putting for about an hour i am really suprised we don't hear more about the magnet.
Summit, money, vp, flying squirrel, ibex, obex, trak, ascent, unlace, beeline, lace, olace, Prometheus
money 21
1000 Rated Poster

Postby turso » Thu Aug 30, 2012 7:43 am

magnet schmagnet, every putter is essentially the same when putting =P
Frank Delicious wrote:Every groove is a unique snowflake of suck.

NOS, PD, River, Roc3, Comet, Trident, Mercy, JOKERi, XXX
turso
Steward Turkeylink: This ranks means I can't read or follow basic directions

Favorite Disc: My first putter

Postby Pwingles » Thu Aug 30, 2012 8:50 am

Side to side, another difference is the magnet is a bit taller. But yes, they are really really similar.
Pwingles
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: Gwoove

Postby money 21 » Thu Aug 30, 2012 8:53 am

turso wrote:magnet schmagnet, every putter is essentially the same when putting =P

inside 20' I would say yes out side of that i would disagree. once you move back to about 30' how far a disc glides comes into play. move out to 40" and there is a big difference in how putter perform.
money 21
1000 Rated Poster

Postby Mark Ellis » Thu Aug 30, 2012 9:20 am

money 21 wrote:
turso wrote:magnet schmagnet, every putter is essentially the same when putting =P

inside 20' I would say yes out side of that i would disagree. once you move back to about 30' how far a disc glides comes into play. move out to 40" and there is a big difference in how putter perform.

Inside the circle the flight paths of various putters are similar enough that we can all learn the differences and make adjustments. The more important differences are their shapes and feel. I would have real trouble putting with a candy putter in any mold due to the slipperiness of the plastic. I would have more trouble putting with any domey putter due to how it fits in my hand. Give me an 86 Mold (this the name of a really domey DGA disc) in candy plastic and I might as well give up.

For throwing purposes (as opposed to putting) the differences among putters matter much more. Still, though, personal preference is the biggest factor as we can make adjustments for stability.

Perhaps the reason that Magnets get so little mention is they have been around for a long time. The newest thing is always more interesting. Maybe they should rename it the Magnet Schmagnet and see that ups the interest. :)
Mark Ellis
The Big Fundamental

Favorite Disc: Rattler

Postby turso » Thu Aug 30, 2012 10:38 am

Yeah, feel is the main thing with putters really. Confidence rules when putting.

You are probably right why the magnets get so little mention, but that's the way of the world, must get the latest, but rarely the greatest. I'd definitely buy a couple of Magnet Schmagnets :D
Frank Delicious wrote:Every groove is a unique snowflake of suck.

NOS, PD, River, Roc3, Comet, Trident, Mercy, JOKERi, XXX
turso
Steward Turkeylink: This ranks means I can't read or follow basic directions

Favorite Disc: My first putter

Postby money 21 » Thu Aug 30, 2012 10:52 am

I think the mold 86 is a whamo disc. Feel is the key for putters i agree.
money 21
1000 Rated Poster

Postby JHern » Thu Aug 30, 2012 2:01 pm

There are important differences between the Magnet and Clutch...

1) The main difference in feel is the inside rim depth, the Magnet rim feels much deeper than the Clutch. For my fingers, I can simply never get a clean release with a deep rim, my fingers get hung up on the edge. So I use the Clutch, since the feel of a good clean release is by far the very most important factor for my putting success.

2) The main difference in flight is glide, the Magnet has more glide than a clutch. If you lob a Magnet very softly underhand, it will usually stay up in the air longer, even at short ranges. The Clutch requires a little more spring action in your fingers, wrist, and/or elbow. Personally, I putt better when I release it with intent, aiming to pop it through the center of the chains. Also, glide can be good or bad, depending on your putting style. A glidey putter (e.g., Magnet) is prone to running off way past the basket on misses, whereas a putter with moderate glide (Clutch) will settle down more quickly.

There is little difference in stability, probably because the outside nose profiles are so similar. You can find more and less stable Magnets in the many varieties of runs that have been produced, so you can definitely find some that are exactly like the Clutch.

The Clutch would probably have a slightly higher speed rating, since it shines at slightly faster speeds than the Magnet.

The Clutch pushes through hyzer very well, it takes a couple seconds for the disc to start moving left, even on an extreme hyzer angle. You can get it to move left sooner by lifting the nose more, but you have to lift it more than you would the Magnet. This is related to glide.

I like the Clutch better in wind than the Magnet. The more glide a disc has, the more prone it is to being carried off in wind currents. So the Clutch requires relatively less compensation in the wind than the Magnet. This is again related to the glide.

The Clutch is great for spin putting, dart-throw-type putting, hyzer putting, and wind putting. And better for small hands.

The Magnet is much better for touch putting, lob or loft style putting, or generally soft glidey style putts. And better for large hands.

Anyways, putting is so personal and stylized, I'm certain almost nobody will have a similar assessment. This is my impression, after 5 years experience with Magnets of all varieties, and using the Clutch as my putter of choice after getting a 1st run early this year.

The story has been told here many times, but the idea was that Steve Rico wanted to make a putter more like the 1st run Magnet, and came up with the Clutch. Discraft doesn't make any like the 1st run any longer, and they are so hard to find that I won't ever be able to assess how successful he was in his attempt.

I think I can say quite confidently that Steve Rico is the all-time greatest master of the Magnet. Nobody throws it better. On the other hand, very few people can throw a Magnet like he does, so it isn't clear that what is good for him will carry the same benefit for us mere mortals.
Japan bag...
Drivers: Starlite Wraith (158g), Gummy Champion Leopard (150g), 1st Run Z-Talon (150g)
Mid-Range: Star Classic Roc (146g), R-Pro Roc (157g)
Putt/Approach: Legacy Protege Clozer (158g), Glow DX Aviar (150g)
JHern
Please ask me about my insider info on pros! Oh GOD please ask me!

Favorite Disc: Clutch

Postby jubuttib » Thu Aug 30, 2012 3:24 pm

Mark Ellis wrote:Perhaps the reason that Magnets get so little mention is they have been around for a long time. The newest thing is always more interesting. Maybe they should rename it the Magnet Schmagnet and see that ups the interest. :)
Could be, but that doesn't really seem to bother the Aviar though.
Parks wrote:If the posts on this forum are any indication, the PD is like a Teebird with sunshine coming out of its butthole so hard that it flies faster.
Anode|ION|JOKERi|MD2|FD|TD|PD|LEGENDa
jubuttib
Long Finnish Word

Favorite Disc: Orange FR P-Line MD2

Postby JHern » Sun Sep 02, 2012 12:19 pm

jubuttib wrote:
Mark Ellis wrote:Perhaps the reason that Magnets get so little mention is they have been around for a long time. The newest thing is always more interesting. Maybe they should rename it the Magnet Schmagnet and see that ups the interest. :)

Gateway putters are all based on tweaks to the Aviar, and are their best-selling discs.

I agree with Mark, I still think the Cyclone is the best disc on the market, I've never thrown anything better. But few people take it seriously because it isn't new enough.
Japan bag...
Drivers: Starlite Wraith (158g), Gummy Champion Leopard (150g), 1st Run Z-Talon (150g)
Mid-Range: Star Classic Roc (146g), R-Pro Roc (157g)
Putt/Approach: Legacy Protege Clozer (158g), Glow DX Aviar (150g)
JHern
Please ask me about my insider info on pros! Oh GOD please ask me!

Favorite Disc: Clutch

Postby gknmnstr » Mon Oct 08, 2012 11:23 am

jubuttib wrote:

Then again there is a new aviar every other month it seems... Seems to me that discs rarely seem to outsell the the intial release. Unless it breaks a world record.
Pure-Fuse-River-Halo
gknmnstr
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: FUSE/RIVER

Postby jubuttib » Mon Oct 08, 2012 2:38 pm

gknmnstr wrote:
jubuttib wrote:

Then again there is a new aviar every other month it seems... Seems to me that discs rarely seem to outsell the the intial release. Unless it breaks a world record.
The normal Aviar is the one that sells the most though.
Parks wrote:If the posts on this forum are any indication, the PD is like a Teebird with sunshine coming out of its butthole so hard that it flies faster.
Anode|ION|JOKERi|MD2|FD|TD|PD|LEGENDa
jubuttib
Long Finnish Word

Favorite Disc: Orange FR P-Line MD2

Postby Jesse B 707 » Mon Oct 08, 2012 5:43 pm

jubuttib wrote:
gknmnstr wrote:
jubuttib wrote:

The normal Aviar is the one that sells the most though.

That's only because they are the only putter sold at most Sports Authority, Dicks, Big 5, etc.
http://ufosdg.org/
XXX,PD2,BOSS,KATANA,PD,ROC,VP,RATTLER,MAGNET
Jesse B 707
Rocstar

Favorite Disc: ROC

Next

Return to Equipment