MVP Ion

Golf Discs, Bags, Baskets, Videos, and other Disc Golf Related Equipment

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Re: MVP Ion

Postby Loop » Tue Apr 10, 2012 11:04 am

I trained with the IONs a bit this winter, indoors. And they worked great...indoors.

Now that the snow is pretty much gone and DG is what it should be, I've found that an ION is indeed best kept indoors. Or just used on those dry summer days, when there is no moisture in air or on ground. I bet these things would be the bomb in Mars.

I'm sorry MVP, I tried to like your products, but its just not possible for me, they're just too darn slick when wet, even the soft ones. :(
If you ever make a grippier version of your products, I'll get back to you.
But for now, my bag is a D/S-P2 zone.
P1|P2|rhy|MD2|roc3|FD|FB|TD|PD|PD2
Loop
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: FR D-P2

Postby LumberJack » Tue Apr 10, 2012 11:18 am

I agree with the slick part but I like to use a towel to dry my discs off after I mark my lie. My towel of choice is a microfiber that sucks the moisture out of your skin like a vampire~blood.

I picked up a couple bags (24) of 16x18 microfiber towels at The Home Depot and bought some grommets from WalMart and made golf towels and salsa for Holiday gifts a few months back. I used them during the winter and now in the spring and they soak up anything you want. One downside is that they are magnets for leafs, grass, dirt, sticks...etc...lol.

So, long story short...mark your lie and use a towel... Ion on.
Pure, Rhyno, Roc, Saint, QOLF, Astra, Quasar, Predator

People deserve the government they get. Why? Because they haven't learned to govern themselves.
LumberJack
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: Roc

Postby emiller3 » Tue Apr 10, 2012 1:02 pm

emiller3 wrote:MVP, stick with the overstable version and come up with a grippy baseline plastic that molds up identically in flatness and flex to your current run premiums and I'll switch over from my Wizards for good!

Annual plug for baseline plastic Ions.

I have a medium textured 171 that is too slick (even in my super dry climate.) The medium Eclipse I tried was definitely tackier, but I still had grip problems on cold or wet days. I prefer a firmer flight plate so I didn't try the softs.
Trades | Bag | Drives | KC Aviar - Roc - Eagle - Monster - Valk - Destroyer
emiller3
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: Roc

Postby what'shisname » Tue Apr 10, 2012 1:52 pm

LumberJack wrote:I agree with the slick part but I like to use a towel to dry my discs off after I mark my lie. My towel of choice is a microfiber that sucks the moisture out of your skin like a vampire~blood.

I picked up a couple bags (24) of 16x18 microfiber towels at The Home Depot and bought some grommets from WalMart and made golf towels and salsa for Holiday gifts a few months back. I used them during the winter and now in the spring and they soak up anything you want. One downside is that they are magnets for leafs, grass, dirt, sticks...etc...lol.

So, long story short...mark your lie and use a towel... Ion on.

The micro fiber towels are great, except for the bolded part is really a pain in the ass! I've found that a genuine chamoise works the best in wet conditions and I've never had a big problem with grip on my Ions year round in all conditions. *shrugs*
what'shisname
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: PD

Postby jubuttib » Tue Apr 10, 2012 8:48 pm

Loop wrote:I trained with the IONs a bit this winter, indoors. And they worked great...indoors.

Now that the snow is pretty much gone and DG is what it should be, I've found that an ION is indeed best kept indoors. Or just used on those dry summer days, when there is no moisture in air or on ground. I bet these things would be the bomb in Mars.

I'm sorry MVP, I tried to like your products, but its just not possible for me, they're just too darn slick when wet, even the soft ones. :(
If you ever make a grippier version of your products, I'll get back to you.
But for now, my bag is a D/S-P2 zone.
I'll take them off your hands. =)
Parks wrote:If the posts on this forum are any indication, the PD is like a Teebird with sunshine coming out of its butthole so hard that it flies faster.
Anode|ION|JOKERi|MD2|FD|TD|PD|LEGENDa
jubuttib
Long Finnish Word

Favorite Disc: Orange FR P-Line MD2

Postby Loop » Thu Apr 12, 2012 1:12 pm

I'll keep em in my car Jubs, in case we ran into each other this summer. Maybe in some tournament. 8) I got two soft transparent protons. Very overstable, insanely long and with a big fade.
P1|P2|rhy|MD2|roc3|FD|FB|TD|PD|PD2
Loop
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: FR D-P2

Postby CloudySkyJedi » Mon Aug 27, 2012 9:37 am

Anyone tried an ion in neutron plastic? My local store just got them in.
Anode Rhyno Vector Axis Roc Firebird PD FD Volt Quasar Nuke
CloudySkyJedi
Noob

Favorite Disc: Anode

Postby Mike C » Mon Aug 27, 2012 4:25 pm

Yup. Love the grip on them, especially for fh shots.

Mike C
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: Soft Ion

Postby 7ontheline » Fri Aug 31, 2012 8:00 am

Anyone have any 3rd runs for sale or trade?

http://www.dgcoursereview.com/forums/sh ... hp?t=71674
Magic / Judge / PA2 - Tursas / QMS / Buzzz / Mace - QJ / E / F - Renegade / O / D1

JHern wrote:If your putter isn't your favorite disc, get a new putter.
7ontheline
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: Judge

Postby Steve » Fri Aug 31, 2012 8:21 am

7ontheline wrote:Anyone have any 3rd runs for sale or trade?

http://www.dgcoursereview.com/forums/sh ... hp?t=71674

Third runs have textured bottoms right?
Steve
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: OLF

Postby jubuttib » Fri Aug 31, 2012 10:24 am

Don't know how many runs there were between 2nd run and losing the textured bottom, but I do have 5 that were produced in that gap (4 medium and 1 soft), as well as a black second run that I could part with. Three are barely thrown at all, including the soft one, two have seen more action, one is nice and understable by now. The 2nd run has seen some action but not for driving (due to the color) and it hasn't really changed it's characteristics. All have ink I'm afraid. I'm not really interested in trades but I could well sell them.

To specify, what exactly is the difference between a third run and a fourth run? Three of the mediums are slightly translucent, one is fully opaque.

EDIT: Took a closer look at your DGCR post. 3rd runs are definitely not smooth bottomed, that was a later run. First runs were the blue ones with an orange rim, second run introduced some colors and to my understanding was the first run for medium IONs, third run increased the number of different colors and almost all I've seen have been slightly translucent, there was possibly a 4th run where there were discs that were pretty much opaque like my light blue one is (the second run whites and black were also opaque, but red was translucent), I suspect it's not from the third run because the flight plate on it and another red medium is almost completely flat (the two I'm almost 99% certain are from the third run have a slightly sunken flight plate, but less than the 2nd runs had), so to my reckoning the earliest and to my understanding only run with the smooth bottoms and before switching to the clear colorant was the 5th run.

I do have two of those too, one medium, one soft, the soft one has a stamp, the medium is blank. Both are white, have ink, are lightly used (so I'm guessing a high 8 on the sleepy scale?) and have the smooth bottom. Interested?
Parks wrote:If the posts on this forum are any indication, the PD is like a Teebird with sunshine coming out of its butthole so hard that it flies faster.
Anode|ION|JOKERi|MD2|FD|TD|PD|LEGENDa
jubuttib
Long Finnish Word

Favorite Disc: Orange FR P-Line MD2

Postby discspeed » Sat Sep 01, 2012 8:07 am

The term "run" made more sense to me when I knew far less about DG manufacturing. As of now I can't say for sure what constitutes a "run", so I'll give a brief MVP history without using that term.

The first Ions sold were blue w/red rim, weighed in the high 160s, were soft, had smooth bottoms, and circular tooling on the underside. There were only a couple hundred made.

Next they made full weight softs (most within a gram or two of max weight) in multiple colors. They had textured bottoms and the overmolds were not set uniformly--Some were near symmetrical, others were visibly crooked. They too had the circular tooling on the underside.

A good while (6mos or so?) went by with MVP pumping out only softs. During this time they prototyped some mediums, a few of which were donated to me as well as some local MI DG entities. They were all red/orange with very low set overmolds and had the same textured bottoms and tooling as the softs they were making.

The first medium Ions sold to the public were all blue, textured bottomed, and circle tooled. The overmolds were a bit more centered than the softs they had made, but were still far from perfect. A couple months later they started selling the mediums in all the same colors as the softs.

For some time MVP was running/selling unstamped soft and mediums w/textured bottoms and circle tooling.

Next the Ions got their hotstamp, though they continued to sell soft/mediums without the stamp as well. I remember this era lasting for some time as MVP was busy with their mids.

The next thing to happen was that the Ion mold got retooled to remove the texturing and circle tooling. Embossed logos were also added to the overmold. A small number of opaque soft/mediums with smooth bottoms and embossed overmolds were made during this time.

Next the Ion came out in the clear proton plastic. Mediums were run first, and would also be the last batch of black overmold Ions designated as "mediums" as they would just be referred to as regular proton from here on out. Next came the softs.

Next came Eclipse Ions, and I'm pretty sure the first ones were still marked "M" for medium, but newer ones are not. About this time soft Ions started to say "soft" proton on the stamp in both Eclipse and normal.

Neutron Ions came next, re-introducing MVP opaque plastic, albeit a different blend than the earlier Ions.

I may have missed something, but this is the general timeline.
discspeed
Most Gyroscopic Poster (MGP)

Favorite Disc: Ion

Postby 7ontheline » Sat Sep 01, 2012 11:13 pm

discspeed wrote:The next thing to happen was that the Ion mold got retooled to remove the texturing and circle tooling. Embossed logos were also added to the overmold. A small number of opaque soft/mediums with smooth bottoms and embossed overmolds were made during this time.

perfect :wtf:

Thanks for the history lessons
Magic / Judge / PA2 - Tursas / QMS / Buzzz / Mace - QJ / E / F - Renegade / O / D1

JHern wrote:If your putter isn't your favorite disc, get a new putter.
7ontheline
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: Judge

Previous

Return to Equipment