The Straddle Putt

Information, Questions, Discussion about Throwing Mechanics and Technique

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

The Straddle Putt

Postby cubeofsoup » Fri Aug 31, 2012 9:09 am

I have found myself increasingly needing to hit 20-50ft straddle putts. The situation I end up need to straddle most often is if my lie is blocked from behind, IE, in bushes, near a tree, etc. Also, obviously, I try and use it to get a clean line at the basket around obstacles. I am pretty comfortable inside 20ft but anything more than that, I can't figure out how to get more distance on my straddle putts. I use a 175g D Magnet for my putting duties. I'm guessing I just need a better wrist and better timing. If I could watch someone who tosses 30+ft straddles that would help a ton, but I can't think of anyone off the top of my head.

Talking points:
- Who are the pro's with a good straddle?
- Your techniques for getting around trees while putting?
- Dealing with uneven ground and bad footing.
- Jump putts from a straddle?
cubeofsoup
Tree Magnet

Re: The Straddle Putt

Postby soupdeluxe » Fri Aug 31, 2012 6:08 pm

I believe Nikko L. uses a straddle putt and there should be tons of vids of him on ytube. I'm not sure how far out he uses it but he gets low reaches down low and past his ankles. His putts come out on a hyzer that I think are easier to get to go far but hard for me to judge distance and accuracy wise.
SD
soupdeluxe
Noob

Favorite Disc: XD

Postby Stringbean » Fri Aug 31, 2012 8:21 pm

From watching one of his youtube videos, I believe he uses it up to fifty feet from the basket. Search the net for "DGM 95 disc golf." He goes over his technique in detail.
Stringbean
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: Panther

Postby JR » Sat Sep 01, 2012 11:12 pm

Knees apart so you can reach back far. Being on the balls of the feet for more power by being up dropping down for plyometric loadng of the ankles and feet then rebounding up or up and forward if you're outside the circle. Raising the arm faster up for more upward momentum and releasing higher even above the head of necessary gives a huge distance boost. Don't forget to use your hips. If you reach back so that you tilt the torso forward and down and straighten the hips from the back muscles it'll help too.
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Favorite Disc: About to ace

Postby GhostsOfCanton » Sun Sep 02, 2012 12:02 am

In these situations, I'm trying to lay up rather than hit the chains. I use a hyzer with a large angle. I think I've heard it called a "knife hyzer." There's very little lateral motion, but enough to get around a tree. 20-50 ft distance easily obtainable and most of the time when the disc hits the ground it "thuds" in place.
Ghosts of Canton (jeremy)

XL | Boss | Katana | Valkyrie | Archangel | Whippet | Gator | Skeeter | Hydra | Birdie
GhostsOfCanton
Noob

Favorite Disc: Archangel

Return to Technique