Teedevil... Thoughts?

Golf Discs, Bags, Baskets, Videos, and other Disc Golf Related Equipment

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Teedevil... Thoughts?

Postby pask2155 » Mon Sep 03, 2012 7:07 pm

Hey guys I never hear much about the Teedevil. What are you guys thoughts on this disc? Destroyers and wraiths get tons of love on this forum and the Teedevil seems to fit in well with someone who wants distance but without the huge fade on the back end....

So thoughts?

And is blizzard preferred over premium plastic?
pask2155
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: NUKE/PD/BUZZ/ION

Re: Teedevil... Thoughts?

Postby Samble » Mon Sep 03, 2012 10:15 pm

I like the TeeDevil. I keep a 135 Blizzard in my bag, for when I need to exceed 350'. Otherwise I throw a Stalker or Ascent. It is a nice, controllable max distance driver. Kept a Star in the bag before Blizzard was released.
Samble
Noob

Favorite Disc: Rhyno

Postby Flick4D » Mon Sep 03, 2012 10:23 pm

If it feels good in your hand, and you aren't already attached to Destroyers and/or Wraiths, why not give it a try?
To make each less stable at low speeds (less fade), they put a Vulcan top on a Destroyer bottom, to form the Teedevil, and Vulcan top/Wraith bottom to for the Archon, I believe. So, there is the dip/ridge/whatever you want to call on the edge of the top of the disc, which some may not like. Then, there's the fact that a lot of us have been throwing Destroyers and/or Wraiths for a while, and throw broken in/lower weight/different plastics to achieve less fade at the end of the flight.

You can also look at it like this: if you're getting the disc up to the intended speed, Wraiths and Destroyers will go straight for most/all of their flights. If you throw them a bit slower, they'll have more fade at the end. If you're consistently seeing quite a bit of fade with each of those discs, but especially a Wraith, then something a bit slower, such as an S-PD or Orc could get you consistent, straight distance, without fade/much fade at the end. I would definitely recommend seeking a slightly slower disc before throwing Blizzard discs, but that's just my opinion.

A good bit of it does come down to how good a disc feels in your hand, especially rim size. So, if it feels good, and you throw with confidence because of that, you'll probably see some nice results.

Hope this helps!
Flick4D
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: Star Destroyer

Postby Flick4D » Mon Sep 03, 2012 10:26 pm

Oh yeah, for discs slower than Orc/PD that I've tried for straight distance/control, I would recommend Eagles, Z Stalkers, Teebirds, and depending on your form/how hard you're throwing, heavier ESP XL's or Z XL's.
Flick4D
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: Star Destroyer

Postby JHern » Tue Sep 04, 2012 12:49 am

I have a really nice orange 1st run star 175 Teedevil, gummyiest star plastic I've ever touched. It flies great, I have a long ways to go before it is broken in, but I could definitely pop it into my bag and use it in a round, and probably would shoot fairly well with it. I like it.

My problem is the same as others mentioned above, on the high-speed end of my bag I'm already using a Destroyer-Katana-Wraith triad, with an over-stable Destroyer, a straight stable Katana, and a beat up under-stable Pro Wraith. These pretty much cover all the shots, and I have them pretty well dialed-in. Who knows, maybe some day I'll figure out another use for Teedevils, and keep one in my bag more often.
Japan bag...
Drivers: Starlite Wraith (158g), Gummy Champion Leopard (150g), 1st Run Z-Talon (150g)
Mid-Range: Star Classic Roc (146g), R-Pro Roc (157g)
Putt/Approach: Legacy Protege Clozer (158g), Glow DX Aviar (150g)
JHern
Please ask me about my insider info on pros! Oh GOD please ask me!

Favorite Disc: Clutch

Postby Fightingthetide » Tue Sep 04, 2012 7:02 am

I've never had much luck with wide-rimmed drivers. They would either need too much speed and fade out too soon (like it's been said already), or I would try to crank them too hard and have horrible form and end up with a horrible flight. Slowing down to Valkyries has changed my game. My max D was around 350' when I was throwing all sorts of discs, but since settling down on Valks for distance, I have put one out to 430' on a hyzerflip. I know this has nothing to do with the Teedevil. It might be a great disc...give one a shot and let us know what you think!
Fightingthetide
1000 Rated Poster

Postby dgdave » Tue Sep 04, 2012 4:04 pm

I really don't like them. The 3 I've thrown were all glide less bricks that just hyzered off early.
"The Gauge may be the best disc ever"
-dgdave

Destroyer/Enforcer/PD/TD/XXX/Gauge/Suspect/Clutch/P2
dgdave
DGR Postmaster General

Favorite Disc: GAUGE!

Postby JR » Tue Sep 04, 2012 4:44 pm

dgdave wrote:I really don't like them. The 3 I've thrown were all glide less bricks that just hyzered off early.

Early hyzer yes but with glide for 150 Blizzard.
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Favorite Disc: About to ace

Postby dgdave » Tue Sep 04, 2012 4:51 pm

Not really on the one I threw.
-dgdave

dgdave
DGR Postmaster General

Postby dgdave » Tue Sep 04, 2012 4:51 pm

But I also really don't like blizzard discs.
-dgdave

dgdave
DGR Postmaster General

Postby pask2155 » Tue Sep 04, 2012 8:12 pm

What do you mean glide less?
pask2155
Tree Magnet

Postby CatPredator » Tue Sep 04, 2012 10:05 pm

pask2155 wrote:What do you mean glide less?

My Star Teedevil is just really overstable. It's got a high PLH, no dome, and flies more like a Max than a Destroyer or Wraith. The pre-release champs and the domey Blizzard Teedevils I've thrown have been much longer, straighter discs.
CatPredator
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: Aviars

Postby JR » Wed Sep 05, 2012 3:01 am

My Blizz is domey and glides until the hard hyzer kicks in. No disc glides well tilted in a deep hyzer. dgdave is your Teedevil flat?
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Favorite Disc: About to ace

Postby pask2155 » Wed Sep 05, 2012 7:08 am

why is this disc fading so hard at the end if innova says it should fade less then the destroyer or max? Is it essential to break the discs in manybe for them to get what innova says they get? Or do you guys chalk this up as a crap disc?
pask2155
Tree Magnet

Postby jubuttib » Wed Sep 05, 2012 7:21 am

pask2155 wrote:why is this disc fading so hard at the end if innova says it should fade less then the destroyer or max?
Innova's ratings have very little to do with reality, especially when taking run variation into consideration.
Parks wrote:If the posts on this forum are any indication, the PD is like a Teebird with sunshine coming out of its butthole so hard that it flies faster.
Anode|ION|JOKERi|MD2|FD|TD|PD|LEGENDa
jubuttib
Long Finnish Word

Favorite Disc: Orange FR P-Line MD2

Next

Return to Equipment