playing with glasses in the rain

Golf Discs, Bags, Baskets, Videos, and other Disc Golf Related Equipment

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

playing with glasses in the rain

Postby victorb » Tue Sep 04, 2012 6:10 am

Ok, so this is a bit off beat from the normal 'equipment' thread, so if it needs to be moved, please do so.

I wear glasses, and can't wear contacts, my eyes don't like them at all. I played part of a round in some moderately heavy rain on Saturday, and the thing I struggled with the most is that my glasses were either getting wet, or fogging up.

Any disc golf veterans that wear glasses have any tips? I was constantly in a state of not being able to see - when I had my hat forwards to keep the rain off my glasses they got all foggy, and when I turned it around, obviously they started getting wet. Made it hard to see either way. I kind of lost my cool because I don't tend to play in the rain all that often (particularly for this reason) so it's not something I deal with very much. I'd like to know if there is anything I may not be thinking of that could possibly be helpful playing rain rounds in a tournament.
Ability is what you're capable of doing. Motivation determines what you do. Attitude determines how well you do it. -Lou Holtz -

*Trespass*PD*Predator*FD*Mace*Comet*Gator*Summit*Judge*
victorb
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: Comet

Re: playing with glasses in the rain

Postby Monocacy » Tue Sep 04, 2012 6:39 am

Rain is a pain in the rear for us glasses-wearing folk.

I use a wide-brimmed hat and keep one towel in the driest part of the bag exclusively for wiping off glasses. Keep the glasses towel in a plastic bag if you are playing in a deluge. To control fogging you could try anti-fog spray, but saliva works pretty well, too.
Krait - Tern | Jackal - River - Resistor | Truth - Fuse - Zone | Clutch
Discs for sale or trade
Monocacy
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: Clutch

Postby keltik » Tue Sep 04, 2012 6:47 am

Microfiber towels
keltik
2010 DGR Donator

Favorite Disc: Polecat!! Ò.ó

Postby jubuttib » Tue Sep 04, 2012 6:51 am

There are some cleaning and conditioning products for glasses that prevent fogging, you might want to look into those. Other than that a wide brimmed hat that sits higher up your head so as to allow the air to move more freely could help.
Parks wrote:If the posts on this forum are any indication, the PD is like a Teebird with sunshine coming out of its butthole so hard that it flies faster.
Anode|ION|JOKERi|MD2|FD|TD|PD|LEGENDa
jubuttib
Long Finnish Word

Favorite Disc: Orange FR P-Line MD2

Postby Frank Delicious » Tue Sep 04, 2012 8:05 am

visor.
Frank Delicious
The Crime Prince of Clown

Favorite Disc: Wraith

Postby victorb » Tue Sep 04, 2012 8:57 am

Frank Delicious wrote:visor.

I have the same problem with visors as regular ball caps in the rain, and the rain just runs off my head then (I shave my head close with a blending blade on my clippers)
Ability is what you're capable of doing. Motivation determines what you do. Attitude determines how well you do it. -Lou Holtz -

victorb
1000 Rated Poster

Postby Mark Ellis » Tue Sep 04, 2012 9:31 am

About a dozen years ago I got my first pair of bifocal glasses. I dislike them so much I stopped wearing prescription lenses at all and have golfed without them since. I don't think I could find them now on a bet.

Glasses suck but I hated contacts even more. I tried these about 25 years ago and could not tolerate sticking things in my eyes.

I could go back to regular glasses (without the bifocals) but it would cost a fortune to keep in sunglasses. I lose and break sunglasses like I do pens. But a pen costs a dollar and prescription sunglasses cost hundreds. I still wear sunglasses but follow the sage advice of ZZ Top (cheap sunglasses).

Not all glasses are equal when it comes to fogging problems. The more the shape of glasses hug your face the more they fog up. So smaller frames work better for this.

Since giving up glasses I have more problems seeing things (who could have guessed?) and judging distances. So when players wave at me from other fairways I wave back and often have no idea who they are. For judging distances I use triangulation (and memory when I know the hole).
Mark Ellis
The Big Fundamental

Favorite Disc: Rattler

Postby turso » Tue Sep 04, 2012 10:12 am

Going "naked" is not really an option for people who are next to blind without glasses. IIRC you can order your lenses with dirt and steam resisting coating, and as jubuttib said, there's cleaning fluids that are meant just for preventing the fogginess from happening.
Frank Delicious wrote:Every groove is a unique snowflake of suck.

NOS, PD, River, Roc3, Comet, Trident, Mercy, JOKERi, XXX
turso
Steward Turkeylink: This ranks means I can't read or follow basic directions

Favorite Disc: My first putter

Postby victorb » Tue Sep 04, 2012 10:29 am

I'm not blind, but I'm nearsighted in one eye and farsighted in the other, causes a little bit of depth perception problems. Enough where I'd have to go without my glasses all day to get used to it. It's just easier to wear them all the time - except when it's raining!

I'll have to look into these no fogging cleaners.

victorb
1000 Rated Poster

Postby JR » Tue Sep 04, 2012 11:22 am

I'm interested in anti fogging solutions that work better than saliva. I've never encountered one and won't spit easily into my glasses but have done so out of desperation. I have small framed glasses that i can just wipe with my index finger without taking the glasses off because my fingers are small enough. Imagine the amount of grease once the glasses dry.
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Favorite Disc: About to ace

Postby Frank Delicious » Tue Sep 04, 2012 11:48 am

You can get glasses that are supposed to not fog. Don't know if they work or not.
Frank Delicious
The Crime Prince of Clown

Favorite Disc: Wraith

Postby Jesse B 707 » Tue Sep 04, 2012 12:02 pm

Wearing a hat works for me ok. P.S. Visors are the douchiest looking thing you can possibly put on your head, I'd rather wear a helmet with a huge dildo attached
http://ufosdg.org/
XXX,PD2,BOSS,KATANA,PD,ROC,VP,RATTLER,MAGNET
Jesse B 707
Rocstar

Favorite Disc: ROC

Postby dgdave » Tue Sep 04, 2012 3:35 pm

Crizal lenses are you're best friend. No fogging, scratching, dust, and it's like rain-x if they get wet.
"The Gauge may be the best disc ever"
-dgdave
dgdave
DGR Postmaster General

Favorite Disc: GAUGE!

Postby JR » Tue Sep 04, 2012 5:03 pm

Interesting i need to check these out. [youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5x4rF3ijBeo&feature=related[/youtube] Oh great the linking doesn't work. I googled a little and came across very mixed reviews on more than one site here s interesting stuff pro and con:
http://littlefoureyes.com/2009/07/30/re ... al-lenses/

I think i need to consult an optician in my DG club.

Here are some recommendations from runners for sunny days and fogging:
http://www.runnersworld.com/community/f ... sunglasses
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Favorite Disc: About to ace

Postby keltik » Tue Sep 04, 2012 5:43 pm

Frank Delicious wrote:visor.

Frank only you are sexy enough to rock the visor
keltik
2010 DGR Donator

Favorite Disc: Polecat!! Ò.ó

Next

Return to Equipment