playing with glasses in the rain

Golf Discs, Bags, Baskets, Videos, and other Disc Golf Related Equipment

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Re: playing with glasses in the rain

Postby JR » Tue Sep 04, 2012 5:54 pm

That is a matter of opinion. Think poodles humping legs :-) What is sexy for some ain't for others YMMV.
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Favorite Disc: About to ace

Postby Frank Delicious » Tue Sep 04, 2012 9:15 pm

Jesse B 707 wrote: helmet with a huge dildo attached

This is really hard to drive with on. The dildo flops all around and sometimes slaps you in the face.
Frank Delicious
The Crime Prince of Clown

Favorite Disc: Wraith

Postby JR » Wed Sep 05, 2012 1:56 am

I'm afraid that there's always someone who likes something :-( Even that.
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Postby JR » Thu Oct 04, 2012 10:04 pm

I talked to a club mate that is an optician and bought glasses from him. Based on what dgdave said i asked him about Crizal and it turns out that the manufacturer Essilor has a weird way to make sites and distribute info about their products. www.optifog.com is the coating on my Essilor a2 lenses that aren't listed on www.crizal.com. The optifog plus activator do work better than normal glasses but as always they aren't perfect. They are so much better that at least in these 49-58F temps they've worked well. The real test comes in colder weather. The only time i've had fog on these is in field practice sweating a lot from ripping more often than during rounds. Light rain does not spread the drops to an even see through without problems film as long as there is new water dropping to the lenses. After the rain stops the glasses get dry a little faster but start to get more easy to see through in half the time or faster vs normal glasses. During the rain there might be a slightly clearer vision than with regular glasses but i need to test these in heavier rain too. I haven't had the chance yet. Bicycling and jogging haven't been problematic when there is no rain. So they do work at least partially as advertised but freezing temperatures are the real test. More to follow when i have more experience with these glasses.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Postby Varsi » Fri Oct 05, 2012 1:02 am

JR wrote:Interesting i need to check these out. [youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5x4rF3ijBeo&feature=related[/youtube] Oh great the linking doesn't work. I googled a little and came across very mixed reviews on more than one site here s interesting stuff pro and con:
http://littlefoureyes.com/2009/07/30/re ... al-lenses/

I think i need to consult an optician in my DG club.

Here are some recommendations from runners for sunny days and fogging:
http://www.runnersworld.com/community/f ... sunglasses

People have been trying to explain how this works but I'll give it one more try.
The youtube tags require you to add a link to the video without extra parameters. In this case the extra parameter is the "&feature=related" and the link between tags needs to be "http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5x4rF3ijBeo". Like so.

The way I wanted to use these tags (and did at another forum) is to add just the video ID (5x4rF3ijBeo in this case) between the tags. I also hate the thing that you can't use fullscreen here.

Also I want lenses like those! Wouldn't mind the coating for the cell phone display either.
Varsi
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: JOKERi

Postby jubuttib » Fri Oct 05, 2012 1:51 am

Varsi wrote:
JR wrote:Interesting i need to check these out. [youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5x4rF3ijBeo&feature=related[/youtube] Oh great the linking doesn't work. I googled a little and came across very mixed reviews on more than one site here s interesting stuff pro and con:
http://littlefoureyes.com/2009/07/30/re ... al-lenses/

I think i need to consult an optician in my DG club.

Here are some recommendations from runners for sunny days and fogging:
http://www.runnersworld.com/community/f ... sunglasses

People have been trying to explain how this works but I'll give it one more try.
The youtube tags require you to add a link to the video without extra parameters. In this case the extra parameter is the "&feature=related" and the link between tags needs to be "http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5x4rF3ijBeo". Like so.

The way I wanted to use these tags (and did at another forum) is to add just the video ID (5x4rF3ijBeo in this case) between the tags. I also hate the thing that you can't use fullscreen here.

Also I want lenses like those! Wouldn't mind the coating for the cell phone display either.
I want those lenses. They might cost 3-5 times as much as my normal AR lenses, but it'd be worth it.
Parks wrote:If the posts on this forum are any indication, the PD is like a Teebird with sunshine coming out of its butthole so hard that it flies faster.
Anode|ION|JOKERi|MD2|FD|TD|PD|LEGENDa
jubuttib
Long Finnish Word

Favorite Disc: Orange FR P-Line MD2

Postby JR » Fri Oct 05, 2012 4:51 am

All right the rest of the world be prepared to have a heart attack. Finland is pricey in many cases but glasses are way up there even compared to the rest of the prices. I am not seeing nearly as great results as those commercials would have you believe. What a shocker :-) OTOH the optician said that using an additional coating from a single use wipe called Prosben should help even more. I have a sample that i have not tried yet. I might be able to test that tomorrow in the rain but it depends on many factors. I did try Prosben to no real effects with regular glasses and the optician said that with the shape my old glasses were in and the properties it had Prosben probably shouldn't work. I had forgotten to test that but i'm interested in the results.

The price for a single Essilor a2 with Optifog coating for me was 201 € per lense. GAAAAHH!!!!! I paid for the expertise. Any other country you go to should have much lower prices.

The videos we make aren't meant for a portion of the screen and you can't change resolution either here so for those i always post just the URL.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Postby discmonkey42 » Fri Oct 05, 2012 9:24 am

Fogging is a big problem when I go skiing. I've used several products from pretreated cloths to something called "spit" (not from your mouth, it's an actual product). I've had the best luck with this: https://www.c-clearantifog.com/spraybot ... MgodpkMAiA
discmonkey42
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: OLF

Postby MR. WICK » Fri Oct 05, 2012 12:46 pm

I don't wear glasses but I used to have tons of issues with my goggles fogging snowboarding, I use this....now I don't have those issues anymore. It should work well on glasses as well. Funny name but it works http://www.campmor.com/cat-crap-anti-fo ... pla&ci_kw={keyword}
MR. WICK
Plastic Fondler

Favorite Disc: the one in my hand

Postby JR » Sun Oct 07, 2012 8:06 am

How effective have they been for you?
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Postby JR » Tue Oct 09, 2012 7:42 am

I applied more of the activator and there were a few short moments after cycling to the course that i had mist on the lenses but otherwise the glasses seemed to work out very nicely anti fog wise. I got so cold trying out a lighter more breathing jacket that i had to leave before the rains came. I had a cap with me to test out how well the rain drops would stay away from the lenses or dissipate after hitting the lenses but that test needs to be done later. I got cold so i'm indoors with a beanie and jacket on so i can't tell when i'm able to test the glasses in the rain some more with the cap and more activator. An impressive performance from the glasses was drinking from the thermos and intentionally blowing in the cup to get hot moist air onto the lenses. Most of the time the fog was gone after two seconds. Nice.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Postby JR » Wed Oct 10, 2012 1:56 am

I went to pick up food in the rain walking alone using a cap. The rain was pretty vertical and i moved so slowly that i didn't run into falling rain drops. As i left the store i looked up to let some drops hit the lenses. It took at least 5 minutes for the drops to clear but the glasses were a little dirty and it was 3 days from previous application of the activator. So for best results i'd apply the applicator for each serious playing day when there's rain. And a cap ain't enough even when walking because a few drops hit the lenses far apart in time so a large all round brimmed hat should help while throwing. Preciously i've had fogging issues due to less ventilation from having a hat on. I hope that the anti fogging is enough in cold weather wading in snow (really sweaty hard work) and when the snow or sleet falls. Because i plan to try a large brimmed hat then to try to keep the lenses clear.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Postby JR » Thu Oct 11, 2012 9:22 am

Field practice and a lot of sweat didn't fog up the glasses until i opened the jacket and bent down to pick a disc and the fog dissipated in a few seconds so goal for the design team not making liars of the marketing department. No rain so i didn't test cap vs all round large brim hat for drop protection/dissipation.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Postby JR » Sun Dec 30, 2012 10:13 am

34F with a lot of snow on the ground and rain at times during this weekly. Lots of moisture in the air and the Essilor A2 with optifog treatment on the lenses and the activator applied just before the competition worked wonderfully well. No fogging whatsoever. None, zip, nada. The rain did create a layer and slowly down flowing mini rivers on the lenses that impaired the vision some but nowhere even close as bad as with normal glasses. Normal glasses without fogging with water on the lenses alone still are very much worse for seeing than these glasses. I'm 100 % convinced that these glasses work as advertised. The only room for improvement is in a avoiding water getting onto the lenses or b getting the water to distribute as a clear see through film on the lense instantaneously instead of in a couple of minutes unlike the ad videos would have you believe. Naturally the results will be different based on how hard you huff and puff and how much moisture there is in the air and what the temperature is and so on. But 34F in very wet conditions is a great test and while the results were great there is room to improve. Still the glasses were worth the salty Finnish price. So for anyone else on the planet the prices should be equal or lower (mostly the latter) so the results for the price ratio should be way better for most of you. Optifog rules and i want to see how well the next generations fare. As if i would change soon because these glasses rock!!! There is nothing else to do but recommend these or equivalents (are there even better ones?) highly! Wow i'm impressed. For harsh conditions these are akin to grippy discs that won't slip out early from the grip. They are that good.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Postby victorb » Mon Dec 31, 2012 8:10 am

so basically you're using rain-x on your glasses to prevent fogging/etc? I'll have to try it out.
Ability is what you're capable of doing. Motivation determines what you do. Attitude determines how well you do it. -Lou Holtz -

*Trespass*PD*Predator*FD*Mace*Comet*Gator*Summit*Judge*
victorb
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: Comet

PreviousNext

Return to Equipment