Disc Golf Myths

Disc Golf Talk

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Re: Disc Golf Myths

Postby Timko » Wed Aug 15, 2012 9:22 am

andrew wrote:I don't need to putt out because it's a casual round and I couldn't possibly miss that putt.

Actually, that's why I don't putt out a lot in casual rounds; I don't want to grind over putts. I want to relax and enjoy people's company.
jsun3thousand wrote:Disc golfers are holding the sport back.
Timko
Like Angels Kicking Ass in your Mouth

Postby Aubin » Wed Aug 15, 2012 10:06 am

i can't believe you guys go this far without this one:

the 'circle' is 30 feet.
ChallengerMagnetCometTeebirdsDestroyersPredator
Aubin
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: APX

Postby NOHalffastpull » Wed Aug 15, 2012 11:04 am

That shot was perfect and then you "NICED" me.
NOHalffastpull
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: still searching ....

Postby garublador » Wed Aug 15, 2012 11:35 am

Timko wrote:
andrew wrote:I don't need to putt out because it's a casual round and I couldn't possibly miss that putt.

Actually, that's why I don't putt out a lot in casual rounds; I don't want to grind over putts. I want to relax and enjoy people's company.
Yeah, I don't see how that's a myth. Surprisingly enough you don't have to play by PDGA rules when you are playing a casual round. It's not like the disc golf police will come by and add strokes to your score that doesn't mean anything, anyway. As far as I'm concerned, anyone can add a million billion strokes to my score in a casual round for whatever reason they want. The only myth is that whatever score you end up with after doing that matters in the least.
garublador
Disc Whore

Postby cubeofsoup » Wed Aug 15, 2012 11:46 am

garublador wrote:
Timko wrote:

Yeah, I don't see how that's a myth. Surprisingly enough you don't have to play by PDGA rules when you are playing a casual round. It's not like the disc golf police will come by and add strokes to your score that doesn't mean anything, anyway. As far as I'm concerned, anyone can add a million billion strokes to my score in a casual round for whatever reason they want. The only myth is that whatever score you end up with after doing that matters in the least.

So you are telling me all these casual rounds DONT affect my rating? wtf.
cubeofsoup
Tree Magnet

Postby andrew » Wed Aug 15, 2012 3:49 pm

I guess I should have just phrased the myth as: It would be impossible for me to miss this putt...
Wizards/Jokeri/Fuse/Buzzz/Gator/XLs/Teebirds/XXX/PDs

Disc Golf (n): A game in which a round plastic object is thrown into trees until it is beat in to resemble its preferred flight characteristics, at which point it is thrown into a lake.
andrew
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: PPD

Postby NoMoreTinCup » Wed Aug 15, 2012 6:58 pm

Around here, if you are practicing before a tournament and make a good shot, or god forbid an ace, you will most likely hear that "You wasted that one". I take exception to that when I hear it, and reply with "Good practice breeds good results". The idea that it is somehow a hindrance to throw a great shot that doesn't count is wasted is ridiculous. If anything, knowing that you have that shot in the bag should help later, produce confidence and whatnot. Just a pet peeve.
KP
Elk Creek Disc Golf
www.elkcreekdgc.info
NoMoreTinCup
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: Craft Discs

Postby jubuttib » Thu Aug 16, 2012 4:20 am

NoMoreTinCup wrote:If anything, knowing that you have that shot in the bag should help later, produce confidence and whatnot.
But you don't have it in your bag anymore dude, you threw it away!
Parks wrote:If the posts on this forum are any indication, the PD is like a Teebird with sunshine coming out of its butthole so hard that it flies faster.
Anode|ION|JOKERi|MD2|FD|TD|PD|LEGENDa
jubuttib
Long Finnish Word

Favorite Disc: Orange FR P-Line MD2

Postby isobar » Thu Aug 23, 2012 10:49 am

This is one I wish I learned much earlier:
If you want to throw a disc right, you have to use forehand and if you want it to go left, you must throw backhand. (As a righty)

I hear this one so much from people starting out. Even last night, playing hole 18 at Cass Benton (Hole goes about 250 foot straight, and then takes damn near a 90 degree bend to the right for another 300 feet to the pin). I was playing with some random people I met at the course, and they were all fairly new. We got up to hole 18 and I lined up for my normal throw and I hear "dude are you going to throw backhand? thats not a good shot on this hole." I then launched a beauty of a drive and turned around to see the guy kinda shaking his head like How the hell did I do that.

Another one I wish I learned early:
A beginner needs to start with a driver so they don't feel bad about not throwing it as far as others.

My goto disc for a beginner is either a Buzz or any other random mid-range disc I have in my car that I don't mind losing. If they stick around and take a liking to the game, I almost always have them thank me because they don't develop the bad habits of someone starting off with a disc they don't have the speed/power/form to throw. This was another lesson I wish I learned early, as my first two years of playing I always made sure I had the latest and fastest drivers out, and any time I got a slower disc I would turn and burn and blame it on the disc and not myself.
isobar
Noob

Favorite Disc: Surge

Postby JeffzeNub » Thu Aug 23, 2012 11:41 am

isobar wrote:My goto disc for a beginner is either a Buzz or any other random mid-range disc...

Is that the best way to learn? I have heard that as a beginner, throwing just midranges will help develop your throw
JeffzeNub
Noob

Favorite Disc: Teebird

Postby BrotherDave » Thu Aug 23, 2012 4:00 pm

keltik wrote:Bro D have you fully seen the light of the Kitty?

I've always been a fan of lids, just never been able to fully incorporate one into the arsenal until now. I tried to make a go out of the SuperSonic for awhile at first but it was just so light and touchy I couldn't gear down to it reliably.
Some discs of various sizes, weight, plastic and mold.
BrotherDave
Blue-footed booby fan

Favorite Disc: DX Blue Footed Booby

Postby andrew » Tue Sep 04, 2012 9:52 pm

The PD flies like a longer Teebird.

You can't control distance on a glide-y disc.
Wizards/Jokeri/Fuse/Buzzz/Gator/XLs/Teebirds/XXX/PDs

Disc Golf (n): A game in which a round plastic object is thrown into trees until it is beat in to resemble its preferred flight characteristics, at which point it is thrown into a lake.
andrew
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: PPD

Postby Jewdy » Wed Sep 05, 2012 6:47 pm

Griplocks are caused by gripping to hard or not letting go of the disc.

I had (and still do to a lesser degree) problems with griplocking when I tried to throw at full power. I asked several players that I knew had more experience than myself and got some very unsatisfying answers. One of the better players from my league told me to try a two finger grip. The real problem (I had to figure out on my own) was that I was looping the disc out and not creating a sharp enough apex.
Crank-Destroyers-Patriot-Rival-Firebird-Comets-Fugitive-Zone-Wizards
Jewdy
Noob

Favorite Disc: Wizard

Postby jubuttib » Thu Sep 06, 2012 6:18 pm

Yeah, "griplock" doesn't exist, or at least it's incredibly rare. I'm sure there are some people on this earth that can grip a disc too hard, but I doubt there are that many. "Griplock" is most often just a codeword for "bad timing".
Parks wrote:If the posts on this forum are any indication, the PD is like a Teebird with sunshine coming out of its butthole so hard that it flies faster.
Anode|ION|JOKERi|MD2|FD|TD|PD|LEGENDa
jubuttib
Long Finnish Word

Favorite Disc: Orange FR P-Line MD2

Postby JR » Thu Sep 06, 2012 9:53 pm

Floating weight Blizzards may have changed that.
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Favorite Disc: About to ace

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion