What should be expected in driving?

Disc Golf Talk

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

What should be expected in driving?

Postby pask2155 » Sun Sep 02, 2012 5:41 am

I don't know about anyone else but it is easy to get swept up in the hype of long distance driving. If you pay attention to the pros or even some of the big talkers on here it seems like they all throw these huge max distances. For example the world record is 832'. You hear how guys will throw 600'+. And it is easy to get caught up in all the numbers and hype.

So here's my question. For us normal people (and I mean those of us who regularly disc golf and play often) how far should an average competitor (so someone who could win tournys) be driving a disc? What's a good average driving distance?
pask2155
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: NUKE/PD/BUZZ/ION

Re: What should be expected in driving?

Postby Fenrir » Sun Sep 02, 2012 10:21 am

I play in a random doubles league so I'm not sure about a real tourny but some of the guys are tossing about 400ft. I think that below open level putting is where you win or lose the game.

Edit on a good day I hit 350-375
Challenger-Comet-Roc-Eagle x-Leopard-Predator
Fenrir
Noob

Favorite Disc: z buzzz

Postby keltik » Sun Sep 02, 2012 1:29 pm

350 will out throw 90% of players. sounds weird but it's true. distance isn't everything in this game, accuracy is. 350-375 is the first major plateau as most people can throw that far with less than perfect form and it is easier with faster discs. But seriously accuracy and a good short game will help you post better scores than having a big arm.
keltik
2010 DGR Donator

Favorite Disc: Polecat!! Ò.ó

Postby pask2155 » Sun Sep 02, 2012 3:46 pm

Yeah this is what I figured... That's why I asked, because I average about 350' and max at 400ish and I was just wondering how that would rank with other players.

The problem like I said is with all the hype of huge drives it's sort of hard to gauge what's normal and what's pro...
pask2155
Tree Magnet

Postby turso » Mon Sep 03, 2012 4:06 am

It's not really that much to do with "normal" and "pro". I max out around 500' on good days and I'm far from being a pro, my putting is shit and directional consistency far from satisfactory. Throwing far doesn't make one a good golfer, it's just fun to do. I'd guess being able to consistently max at around 400' should do just fine if one has accuracy and good putts.
Frank Delicious wrote:Every groove is a unique snowflake of suck.

NOS, PD, River, Roc3, Comet, Trident, Mercy, JOKERi, XXX
turso
Steward Turkeylink: This ranks means I can't read or follow basic directions

Favorite Disc: My first putter

Postby money 21 » Mon Sep 03, 2012 4:37 pm

distance is fun but out side of the pros and top am putting is where it is at. I max out at around 375' consistantly and hit 400' when the disc golf god are smiling at me. IMO for the top of AM2/bottom of AM1 it is more important not to bogie then it is to birdie so in most tourneys if you can throw 300"+ hitting your line you will do fine.
Summit, money, vp, flying squirrel, ibex, obex, trak, ascent, unlace, beeline, lace, olace, Prometheus
i have seen monkey sh!t fights at the zoo more orginized then this.
money 21
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: Z XS

Postby pask2155 » Mon Sep 03, 2012 9:39 pm

turso wrote:It's not really that much to do with "normal" and "pro". I max out around 500' on good days and I'm far from being a pro, my putting is shit and directional consistency far from satisfactory. Throwing far doesn't make one a good golfer, it's just fun to do. I'd guess being able to consistently max at around 400' should do just fine if one has accuracy and good putts.

These are great numbers. How long have you been playing disc golf? And how long did it take you to get up to 500'?
pask2155
Tree Magnet

Postby Smigles » Wed Sep 05, 2012 11:26 am

keltik wrote:350 will out throw 90% of players. sounds weird but it's true. distance isn't everything in this game, accuracy is. 350-375 is the first major plateau as most people can throw that far with less than perfect form and it is easier with faster discs. But seriously accuracy and a good short game will help you post better scores than having a big arm.

Why does everybody keep insisting on comparing with worse players ?

Yes, 400 feet of precise distance will get you far in AM and yadda yadda. Who in his right mind wants to stay AM all his life ?? I wanna compete with the good players, not with the slightly above average.

Distance is never bad.
Smigles

Favorite Disc: Aviar,Wasp,Nuke

Postby Frank Delicious » Wed Sep 05, 2012 11:43 am

If you can throw 400' fairly accurately you have the D needed to win everything but the largest events in pro. The best pros out there are the ones who can make 90% of their putts from 40' and in.

If anyone here follows ball golf, Tiger is a good example of how distance is an important part of the game but not the most. When he was on 5-8 years ago he could mash the ball which let him do some crazy shots but he was also making everything inside 20'. Now Tiger still has the D but can't make a putt so he isn't dominate anymore. Everyone thinks it is because other golfers can hit as far as him that he is losing but it is not that, it is his inconsistent putting that is costing him wins.
Frank Delicious
The Crime Prince of Clown

Favorite Disc: Wraith

Postby turso » Wed Sep 05, 2012 12:15 pm

pask2155 wrote:
turso wrote:It's not really that much to do with "normal" and "pro". I max out around 500' on good days and I'm far from being a pro, my putting is shit and directional consistency far from satisfactory. Throwing far doesn't make one a good golfer, it's just fun to do. I'd guess being able to consistently max at around 400' should do just fine if one has accuracy and good putts.

These are great numbers. How long have you been playing disc golf? And how long did it take you to get up to 500'?

This was my third summer of disc golf. I got up to 400' distance in 3-5 months or so of active training when I started. Got up to 430' on first year, but quit active training after that and stayed there for the second year as well. This summer I started gaining distance again, and I didn't get to practice that much of driving, just did a lot of golfing on a short 9-hole course near the place I worked this summer. Did wonders for my approach game.

Shittiest thing is that winter's closing in again, and I'll probably be struggling to reach 400' when the spring comes.
Frank Delicious wrote:Every groove is a unique snowflake of suck.

NOS, PD, River, Roc3, Comet, Trident, Mercy, JOKERi, XXX
turso

Favorite Disc: My first putter

Postby keltik » Wed Sep 05, 2012 12:26 pm

Frank Delicious wrote:If you can throw 400' fairly accurately you have the D needed to win everything but the largest events in pro. The best pros out there are the ones who can make 90% of their putts from 40' and in.

If anyone here follows ball golf, Tiger is a good example of how distance is an important part of the game but not the most. When he was on 5-8 years ago he could mash the ball which let him do some crazy shots but he was also making everything inside 20'. Now Tiger still has the D but can't make a putt so he isn't dominate anymore. Everyone thinks it is because other golfers can hit as far as him that he is losing but it is not that, it is his inconsistent putting that is costing him wins.

QFT
keltik
2010 DGR Donator

Favorite Disc: Polecat!! Ò.ó

Postby pask2155 » Wed Sep 05, 2012 9:32 pm

turso wrote:
pask2155 wrote:

This was my third summer of disc golf. I got up to 400' distance in 3-5 months or so of active training when I started. Got up to 430' on first year, but quit active training after that and stayed there for the second year as well. This summer I started gaining distance again, and I didn't get to practice that much of driving, just did a lot of golfing on a short 9-hole course near the place I worked this summer. Did wonders for my approach game.

Shittiest thing is that winter's closing in again, and I'll probably be struggling to reach 400' when the spring comes.

How do you train for more distance???
pask2155
Tree Magnet

Postby Frank Delicious » Wed Sep 05, 2012 9:43 pm

check out the technique section of this forum.
Frank Delicious
The Crime Prince of Clown

Favorite Disc: Wraith

Postby pask2155 » Thu Sep 06, 2012 1:39 pm

i have... I do all they say, I just thought there would be other things to do like strength training or something... lol
pask2155
Tree Magnet

Postby JR » Thu Sep 06, 2012 2:08 pm

Flexibility, speed, balance, timing so they need plyometric training and speed training and maximum movement range strength training. Cables for the muscles opposite the biceps concentrating on accelerating in the end. Core especially twisting to the sides. Make sure you train in equal amount in both directions. Balance to all muscles back to front left to right is mandatory or you'll create back pains etc. I am lopsided with the right side being stronger than the left no joy.
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Favorite Disc: About to ace

Next

Return to General Discussion