Am I doing it right

Post your Bag Critique Requests, Talk about your Bag set up etc...

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Am I doing it right

Postby Big Tone » Mon Aug 13, 2012 6:04 pm

I've recently been scouring the site soaking up all kinds of information and wanted to post my bag to see what the cirtics thought.
Been playing for about 6 months now.
Just to give some disctances with my recent bag...
Putter (200-250)
Mid (250-300)
Driver (300-350)

Putters:
175 - SS Wizard x2
173 - DX Rhyno

Mids:
172 - Stingray
180 - DX Roc
180 - KC Pro Roc

Drivers:
172 - Pro Leopard
170 - Champ Leopard
168 - DX EagleX
175 - Champ EagleX
168 - DX Teebird
168 - Champ Teebird
171 - P PD
172 - S PD

I just recently purchased the DX disc to see if they really do have better glide like everyone says... YUP, they do!
The champion plastic has taken to the sidelines with this recent discovery.
I haven't really even thrown the PD's as I have been intrigued with the fairways getting just as much if not more distance as my form/technique has improved.
Oh! I do keep a 150g flick in the bag for overhand/utility shots as well.

I recently read Blake's post about minimalization and have been questioning throwing out the premium plastic. Really try and get to know my disc i have, you know?!
I guess I'm really wondering do I have what i need to perform this task?
Any holes i might be missing to perform this?

Comments/suggestions/flames? All are welcome!
Big Tone
Noob

Re: Am I doing it right

Postby Fightingthetide » Mon Aug 13, 2012 9:04 pm

There's overlap with Teebirds, Eagles, and PD's. Take them all into a field and find which mold works best for you. After that, take that mold (or two molds - like maybe Teebird and Leo) and play a few rounds with them. If they work, keep them. If not, report back with any questions and/or try another setup with the discs you already have.

My only question is about your mids - how do they differ in flight? Is the DX Roc seasoned to fly neutral or understable lines? Does the Stingray turn right from a flat throw? Most people prefer DX Rocs in varying stages of wear. I personally added 3 DX Rocs to my bag to beat them into understable, adding a new one once they break in. If you did that, you could drop to 1 mold and you would learn a lot about controlling a disc with nose angles and power.

You are off to a great start!
Fightingthetide
1000 Rated Poster

Postby Fightingthetide » Mon Aug 13, 2012 9:06 pm

Oh, and this is a great article to read, if you have not already - http://discgolfreview.com/resources/art ... rlap.shtml
Fightingthetide
1000 Rated Poster

Postby Big Tone » Mon Aug 13, 2012 9:28 pm

Yeah, i figured there was some overlap in there with my drivers.

I am still in the process of choosing what disc works the best for me as you stated.
Some field work will be necessary to distinguish the winner.

The mids are new. I am currently using the DX roc the most to beat it in to a stable/under stable slot.
The stingray is in there just to have a dedicated under stable mid till the DX roc beats in more.
The KC pro is there for over stable duties till i can get a range of roc's from over stable thru under stable.
I really like the idea of using the same mold in different stages of wear to cover my mid range game.

Is it possible to have a beat in version on either the TB, Eagle or PD so I wont need the Leo's in the future?
Or is the Leo it's own type of driver compared to the others?

Thanks for the suggestions! :D
Big Tone
Noob

Postby Fightingthetide » Mon Aug 13, 2012 9:39 pm

With drivers, you could take any of those three molds and find that it could fill all of your needs. However, that is a matter of finding the right disc and/or beating in the right disc to the point you need it...but you seem to have a grasp on that.

I would recommend Teebirds. It's my preference. They glide really far and you can find them in any stability from overstable to neutral. I would stick with Leo's for understable shots, and because they are an excellent compliment to Teebirds. Eagle's can work too, but for me they seem to glide less and fade a little too much. PD's are the same, at least in my power level. See what you like and stick with it. Others will chime in with their preferences too. Remember, there is no "best" disc out there, just discs that work better for some people.
Fightingthetide
1000 Rated Poster

Postby Big Tone » Mon Aug 27, 2012 9:34 am

I was able to play in my first tournament this past weekend. It was only a fundraiser tourney at our local course but it was a lot of fun(95 players turn out). I played in the Rec division as I wasn't sure how I should place myself. I ended up tied for 3rd and won the playoff for the trophy. A guy I was playing with in the second round actually returend a 2 month old lost disc of mine (171,C-PD) his friend fished up from the local pond too.
Had a ton of fun!

On to my bag:
Putters:
175 - SS Wizard x2
173 - DX Rhyno

Mids:
175 - X Stratus
180 - DX Roc
180 - KC Pro Roc

Drivers:
172 - Pro Leopard
168 - DX EagleX
168 - DX Teebird

I've dropped the champion plastic for now to work on form/technique and to try and extend the fairways a little further.
The PD's are in the bag but i really only throw them after the round for fun now.
I can't seem to decide between the Eagle/TB. They both are so much fun to throw. I swapped the stingray for a stratus that I had laying around and it seems to be filling the U/S mid slot very nicely for me right now.

I won $30 credit at my local disc golf store for placing third in the tourney and I am trying to decide how to spend it.
Any suggestions?
-grab back ups
-grab a O/S driver, ie. pred, FB, banshee
-try _____ disc, you'll like it
-try _____ driver for some added distance at your power level

I might grab an extra DX roc to beat in for my next stable mid once the other takes over the u/s slot. Also was thinking about a disc fun to throw for warm up and recreational enjoyment (ex. superhero, champion zephyr).

Any input?
Big Tone
Noob

Postby JR » Mon Aug 27, 2012 9:41 am

At your power i'd add a River for D. Thetrouble with warm up discs is that you need to carry them or go to your car to put them away prior to competing. What you want from catch discs decides which kind would suite you. Some disc golf discs are perfectly usable as catch discs. There are even soft discs like Vibram rubber discs (good for golf too), rubber Pro D Rattlers (hell yeah especially for putts), Whitlers (understable flippy) etc.
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Favorite Disc: About to ace

Postby Big Tone » Mon Aug 27, 2012 9:52 am

Great suggestion JR! I actually threw my friends new Opto River just last week and it bombed!!!
Any suggestion on plastic? Opto or GL? Reason for suggested plastic?

I'll be sure to check into some of the suggested catch disc you mentioned that double as good golf disc as well.

Thanks!
Big Tone
Noob

Postby JR » Mon Aug 27, 2012 11:31 am

Gold Line River the weight depends on your conditions. 170 ain't bad at your power but a max weight takes winds better. Vibram Sole medium is golf drivable and straight yet easy on the hand in catching. not a useless putter either but not too glidey. Soft Vibram is mush and probably good out to beach type catch distances. Softer APXs are shaped like regular putters and fly like lids although fast. Soft Magnets could work too but they don't fly anything like a lid.
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Postby Big Tone » Thu Sep 06, 2012 9:38 am

Finally had a chance to swing by the local shop and spend my $. Picked up flat top dx roc, ESP comet and a superstar.
Also had a gl river and saint ordered to the house from online. I took out the stratus & dx roc I currently had in the bag as it was starting to beat it with a slight bit of turn and replaced them with a z comet i had lying around along with the esp i found at the shop.

I love the glide of the comets and ease of getting good distance out of them with little to no effort. Figure Ill try and pair them with the roc's i have for my mid game for now.

I'm going to try throwing the Lat 64's I picked up and see how they break in.

Would I benefit from keeping the Leo, TB or Eagle in the bag or should the Lats be able to cover the majority of those disc lines/distances?
Big Tone
Noob

Postby JR » Thu Sep 06, 2012 6:28 pm

Only you can tell because individual discs vary and people play different courses in differing winds with different power and form so shoot outs should help. Both field work and on course.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Postby Big Tone » Fri Oct 12, 2012 12:22 pm

Figured it's time for an update. Starting to settle into the molds I like to throw finally.

Putters: (200'-250')
175 - SS Wizard x2
173 - DX Rhyno

Mids: (Rancho) (250'-300')
180 - DX Roc, fairly beat
180 - KC Pro Roc, slightly beat
180 - Flat top DX Roc, few throws
179 - Champ Flat top Roc, new

Fairway: (300'-350')
172 - Pro Leopard
170 - Champ Leopard
168 - DX EagleX
175 - Star EagleX
175 - Champ EagleX

Distance: (325'~375')
171 - P PD
168 - S PD
171 - C PD

The wizards are doing their job very well with a little help in sticky situations or windy days from the Rhyno.

Love them Rocs. The DX is getting some turn in its flight and I don't find myself reaching for other mids anymore. Picked up a few flat tops to try out as well. The flat top DX one seems to be made of Crayons as a single tree hit at moderate speed seems to eat this plastic blend alive but I'll continue to throw it and see how it ages. The flat top Champ is one of the new PMcB from DD. Only got a few throws in with it yesterday. The disc is marked with flight #'s of 5/4/0/2. More to come as i toss it around some.

The Leo's are in the bag currently for US duties as my plan is to just use Eagles in various stages of wear for my fairways. The DX Ex is starting to get a really nice turn in the flight thrown with 325'-350' of power.

Just recently added back to the bag are the PD's with the replacement of a lighter weight S line. I'm hoping that I can pull some more distance out of these disc now. I've only played a few rounds with them but they appear to be giving me gains over the fairways. Not by a lot but some. Not sure wether I need these or if I should stick with the EX's for current driving duties.

Meh.. well that's my current bag for now. All comments are welcome.
Big Tone
Noob

Postby curt » Fri Oct 12, 2012 3:56 pm

If you're trying to add in the PDs, I would consider keeping the Leos around for a while too. There is a little distance overlap between the leo and the eagle and the pd and the eagle. Carrying either of those combinations feels like too much. Pds are noticeably longer than Leos though, and fill in the gap between the roc and the PD well. At least this is my experience. (FWIW, I'm really happy with a buzz, FD, PD combo) FD and leopards would serve the same role.
curt
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: Rawww!

Postby Big Tone » Fri Nov 09, 2012 10:02 am

I feel like I'm doing really well with my current set up. Im attending my first PDGA sanctioned tourney this weekend and participating in the MA3-Rec division. Only playing from the short tees so my drivers wont see much action this weekend but my mids are going to get a workout, thats for sure.

Putters: (200'-250')
175 - SS Wizard x2
173 - DX Rhyno

Mids: (Rancho) (250'-300')
180 - DX Roc
176 - DX Roc
180 - KC Pro Roc
172 - ESP Comet

Drivers: (300'-375')
172 - Pro Leopard
170 - Champ Leopard
171 - P PD
168 - S PD
172 - S PD
171 - C PD

I might toss in my X-Stratus to have a truly US mid but I'm willing to bet I won't need it.
Big Tone
Noob

Postby JR » Sat Nov 10, 2012 11:46 pm

Even a powered down PD might not be overstable enough for some lines and the Rhyno is neither at longer distances but it might be enough for your power in anything but hard headwinds. So your bag might work just fine. The trouble with powering down a PD for hard hooks is that they aren't as tight left turning RHBH than some other discs and being so fast it can skip too much.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Next

Return to Bag Critique / Discussion