Make it turnover?

Information, Questions, Discussion about Throwing Mechanics and Technique

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Make it turnover?

Postby JeffzeNub » Fri Sep 07, 2012 10:08 am

Having trouble with my consistency of making my disc go right off of the tee(throwing RHBH). Currently I am using a DX valk that is beat in for long turnover shots, but it is very inconsistent and sometimes dumps right if I throw it too hard, so I have a few questions.

1. What should an ideal flight path look like on a turnover shot? Start anhyzer and flatten out or start flat and fade right?

2. Should I be throwing a turnover shot higher than a normal shot?

3. What disc would you recommend for someone who is still learning for a turnover disc? I saw the katana, but I cannot really throw anything that fast correctly, maybe just a different plastic Valk?

The course I play at least twice a week has a 1000 ft par 5 that is a slight dog leg right off the tee and then straight, I have only par'd it once and only because I holed from like 40 ft, the rest are bogeys or worse. There are woods that line the left of the fairway and most of the time I basically stay in those woods til I get to the basket, its getting old. I have a decent forehand, but I was a baseball player and have a very tough time not turning my wrist over when I release if I'm trying to throw hard.

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks in advance
JeffzeNub
Noob

Favorite Disc: Teebird

Re: Make it turnover?

Postby Alcuin » Fri Sep 07, 2012 2:21 pm

JeffzeNub wrote:1. What should an ideal flight path look like on a turnover shot? Start anhyzer and flatten out or start flat and fade right?

2. Should I be throwing a turnover shot higher than a normal shot?

3. What disc would you recommend for someone who is still learning for a turnover disc? I saw the katana, but I cannot really throw anything that fast correctly, maybe just a different plastic Valk?

1. Did you really mean anhyzer? If so, then no, you should be throwing the discs on a hyzer and they should flatten out. Whether or not it will flex out of it's flight (i.e. fade left at the end) or hold the turn right to the ground depends on the disc.

2. Depends on the line you want. If I want a longer turnover, I throw higher and use my body angle to telegraph the shot. For a lower laser-beam hyzer flip, I will often roll my wrist under a bit to put some hyzer angle on the disc but not put the disc up in the air higher than I want.

3. I learned by throwing a Leopard. A Pro Leopard should turn quite a bit out of the box for you: throw it flat and straight and watch it turn over. Adjust your degree of hyzer to get a straighter flight out of it. Throw the disc on a high, nose down hyzer and watch it flip flat, turn over, then flex out of the turn for more distance. An understable midrange like a Meteor, Fuse, Stingray, or beat Comet will do the same thing and might be easier to throw more systematically. If you want a driver as fast as your Valk but more understable, get a Roadrunner.
Alcuin
Noob

Favorite Disc: comet

Postby JHern » Fri Sep 07, 2012 3:22 pm

JeffzeNub wrote:1. What should an ideal flight path look like on a turnover shot? Start anhyzer and flatten out or start flat and fade right?

A turnover shot, by definition, turns over. That is, whatever angle you release it, it keels over to anhyzer (right, for RHBH) during the high speed portion of the flight. For this shot, you would use a disc that is under-stable during the high speed portion of its flight.

A flex shot is one that begins with an anhyzer release, but flexes in the hyzer direction (left, for RHBH), and goes toward flat during the high speed portion of the flight (it need not go all the way flat, and it could also go past flat to hyzer). For this shot, you would use a disc that is over-stable during the high speed portion of its flight.

Regarding your dilemma, I would recommend working on getting a straighter finish to your flight. DX Valkyrie is probably fine, you just need to get the nose down and throw the disc flatter (lifting the nose increases the right-left movement at the end of the flight). Slow it way way down and work your way up with practice. Don't try to throw hard, instead, relax your body and whip it. Learning how to get the disc to finish properly will save a lot of strokes.
Japan bag...
Drivers: Starlite Wraith (158g), Gummy Champion Leopard (150g), 1st Run Z-Talon (150g)
Mid-Range: Star Classic Roc (146g), R-Pro Roc (157g)
Putt/Approach: Legacy Protege Clozer (158g), Glow DX Aviar (150g)
JHern
Please ask me about my insider info on pros! Oh GOD please ask me!

Favorite Disc: Clutch

Postby JeffzeNub » Sat Sep 08, 2012 11:55 am

Okay I guess I stated my question incorrectly. I should have just asked for tips for a disc to go right when throwing RHBH.

I didnt know what a flex shot was, how high speed stable? What disc would you recommend for learning?

Thank you both, you helped me a lot.
JeffzeNub
Noob

Favorite Disc: Teebird

Postby Alcuin » Sat Sep 08, 2012 1:28 pm

JeffzeNub wrote:Okay I guess I stated my question incorrectly. I should have just asked for tips for a disc to go right when throwing RHBH.

I didnt know what a flex shot was, how high speed stable? What disc would you recommend for learning?

Thank you both, you helped me a lot.

Option 1: Take an understable disc like a Leopard or Roadrunner or lightweight GL River or Meteor, etc., and throw it flat. It should turn to the right. You can adjust the degree of hyzer to get it to go flat with little fade or to put the disc higher in the air nose down or get it to finish right depending on your angle of hyzer, your nose angle, the spin and speed of the disc, the disc itself, how high you put it in the air, etc. Figuring this part out is up to you to get the feel for it. I think a Leopard's a good place to start. Throw it flat then keep adjusting the flight to get it where you want it to go.

Option 2: Take a stable to understable disc and throw it on an anhyzer angle to get it to go right. If you choose a more stable to overstable disc, it will flex out of the anhyzer for the flex shot, meaning it will play from left to right (the anhyzer) then still finish left due to the overstability. The flex shot doesn't finish right though. The anhyzer, with proper disc selection, will hold to the ground playing left to right. A Comet is a good disc to practice big sweeping anhyzers, but a Leopard or one of the above discs from option 1 will also work.
Alcuin
Noob

Favorite Disc: comet

Return to Technique