improved your game

Disc Golf Talk

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

improved your game

Postby money 21 » Tue Sep 04, 2012 5:55 pm

what is something that over the last year has improved your personal game. for me it was learning how to use and control the fh anhyzer and approach. I switch back and forth driving between BH, FH and OH but 90% of my short game has always been BH. Over the last year i have worked alot on using my FH more in my approach game and not just throw straight or hyzer with me fh. This work has cleaned up my fh driving as well.
Last edited by money 21 on Thu Sep 06, 2012 7:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Summit, money, vp, flying squirrel, ibex, obex, sharp shooter #2, trak, ascent, seacert weapon, vulture, unlace, lace, olace, solace, Prometheus
i have seen monkey sh!t fights at the zoo more orginized then this.
money 21
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: Z XS

Re: improved your gane

Postby JR » Tue Sep 04, 2012 6:02 pm

Perhaps nothing considering sick leave after surgery :-( I've field practiced less and played more rounds so slowed down speed that i started last year with diminished reach back distance and aiming more with a faster chop are bringing more consistent although not accurate enough results to my liking. But with only 9 weeks of playing in good weather and a mandatory stop nothing much was to be expected anyway. I tried what Avery calls a power grip for FH today and finally my arm allows me to grip that way and i liked the initial results so that may become an actual improvement for this season. I'm trying out base plastic low fade high glide putters and so far my confidence in putting has gone up but this is so new that it is way too soon to say anything definitive. The rainy season is here so i need the added grip vs Ions and Anodes for the last two 3? seasons.
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Favorite Disc: About to ace

Postby dgdave » Tue Sep 04, 2012 6:22 pm

I changed my grip which has improved my timing and distance with mids and putters. That also moved me to go from slower mids/putters (kc aviar/roc) to faster ones (wizard/rhyno/buzzz)
"The Gauge may be the best disc ever"
-dgdave

Destroyer/Enforcer/PD/TD/XXX/Gauge/Suspect/Clutch/P2
dgdave
DGR Postmaster General

Favorite Disc: GAUGE!

Postby vtbuzzz » Tue Sep 04, 2012 7:08 pm

Started throwing putters off the box more, limited my self to 2 types of drivers(valkyries and predators in various states of wear) and mids(meteors and buzzzs in various states of wear. And added a hop step to my drive which improved timing. And practiced putting 15 minutes a day for almost 2 months.
vtbuzzz
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: Buzzz

Postby Redisculous » Tue Sep 04, 2012 7:14 pm

Taking a video of my throw and seeing all the things I was doing wrong. I highly suggest this to anyone who wants to improve.
Anode | Comet | Axis |Vector | PPD | SPD | CPD
Redisculous
Fairway Surgeon

Location: Southern Wisconsin, where the best courses are in Illinois!
Favorite Disc: Axis

Postby andrew » Tue Sep 04, 2012 7:44 pm

Changing drives from power grip to fork grip OR aiming using left shoulder.
Wizards/Jokeri/Fuse/Buzzz/Gator/XLs/Teebirds/XXX/PDs

Disc Golf (n): A game in which a round plastic object is thrown into trees until it is beat in to resemble its preferred flight characteristics, at which point it is thrown into a lake.
andrew
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: PPD

Postby aDave » Wed Sep 05, 2012 8:59 pm

Quarter full water bottle. snappity snap snap and accuracy++.
aDave
Noob

Favorite Disc: Beat floppy aviar

Postby aDave » Thu Sep 06, 2012 6:26 pm

I just realized that op asked about most helpful this year.
I've been really focusing on keeping my body under control.
I never truly understood how important a stable base is before.
I've dropped 4-5 strokes per round and ruined my handicap at both am leagues that I play with multiple best rounds. folks are complimenting on how smooth my form is too. A side effect of this seems to be a better mental game since I'm focusing so much on relaxed, stable motions, I get a brain reset on every shot. every aspect of of my game seems better. I haven't done field work in months so I don't know about distance gains, but I haven't thrown a driver more than 3 times in a round in a long time, so I think it's not a problem. We will see......
aDave
Noob

Postby JR » Thu Sep 06, 2012 6:32 pm

aDave i didn't write my signature for filling a part of missing FAQ and saving typing alone.
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Favorite Disc: About to ace

Postby aDave » Thu Sep 06, 2012 7:02 pm

JR almost referenced your sig since it IS one of the things that inspired me.
aDave
Noob

Re: improved your game

Postby Star Shark » Fri Sep 07, 2012 9:36 pm

Field practice. My distance is slowly coming back. Just need to focus now on not whipping my shoulder out early and keeping it in there.
-- Star Shark
Star Shark
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: Ghost, Patriot, SL

Postby 7ontheline » Sun Sep 09, 2012 6:53 pm

I've settled down on putting new molds in the bag and now a days my testing happens on the practice field instead of the course. Lately I feel like I've got a pretty good idea how my plastic is going to fly in most winds. This biggest improvement to my score this past year is I've stuck with Ions and have invested a lot of time practice putting.
Magic / Judge / PA2 - Tursas / QMS / Buzzz / Mace - QJ / E / F - Renegade / O / D1

JHern wrote:If your putter isn't your favorite disc, get a new putter.
7ontheline
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: Judge

Postby Torg » Mon Sep 10, 2012 10:18 am

I really worked on my putting this year. It is now streaky but in a much better way than the random crap I would hit before. I also worked hard on throwing clean anhyzer lines, it has paid off in spades. The only thing it has hurt is that I have to use a different line than my old crappy nose up line.
Torg
Tree Magnet

Postby dgolfing » Sun Sep 23, 2012 2:28 pm

For me it is gripping the disc firmly. I here the single best one for more distance is to extend your throw, yet to test it out though

Straight Arm'ing the Approach
dgolfing
Noob

Favorite Disc: katana

Postby turso » Sun Sep 23, 2012 2:35 pm

Well, I practiced putting this year. 4 or 5 sessions, 15 minutes each. Helped quite noticeably, maybe I should actually do this more regularly :P
Frank Delicious wrote:Every groove is a unique snowflake of suck.

NOS, PD, River, Roc3, Comet, Trident, Mercy, JOKERi, XXX
turso
Steward Turkeylink: This ranks means I can't read or follow basic directions

Favorite Disc: FR Roc3

Next

Return to General Discussion