Critique my bag.

Post your Bag Critique Requests, Talk about your Bag set up etc...

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Critique my bag.

Postby StarFirebird » Fri Sep 07, 2012 3:11 am

Info: Been playing for almost 14 years,but didn't get real serious about it until 2 years ago.I've tried the really fast drivers,but the Old school drivers is where it's at for me.I can throw my Valkyries just as far as a Boss.It's just what I've found I'm comfortable with.

Throwing grips:
Driving: 2 finger grip
Approach: Climo Grip
Putting: Fan Grip with index finger on bottom rim

My Goals: I'm doing my best to become familiar with as few molds as possible,but carry many variations.For years I used discs that overlapped and never really learned a lot.Not really trying to go big time Pro or anything,but I do want that Local Pro status and to be able to help many people in disc golf(which I do occasionally).

My Bag:

Distance Drivers:(380ft - 430ft)
175 Innova Echo Star Valkyrie: Overstable Driver,It's actually good in the wind.Forehand rollers,Tomahawks and sidearm.
173 Innova Champion 5x JK Pro Valkyrie: Stable Driver,forehand rollers
170 Innova Star Valkyrie: Straight Drives with little fade,Rollers
166 Innova Champion 5x JK Pro Valkyrie: Turnover Drives,Rollers
170 Discraft Z Predator: Utility,Overstable drives,Tomahawks,forehand rollers and sidearm.Very windy days.

Fairway Drivers:(350 - 375ft)
170 Discraft ESP Cyclone: Stable to Overstable drives.
170 Discraft Elite X Cyclone: Beat up pretty good,Does well as a dogleg turnover driver
170 Discraft Elite X Cyclone: Severely beat.Mainly used as a get out of trouble disc,where the flick of the wrist is needed.
175 Discraft Z Glide: Controlled straight Drives and some turnover drives.Rollers

Midranges:(310ft - 340ft)
170 Discraft Z Comet: Straight drives,Slow Hyzers,Forehand Rollers
170 Discraft Elite X Comet: Straight drives into anhyzer.Turnover drives.
170 Discraft Elite X Comet: Severely beat.used for shorter get out of trouble shots,where flick of the wrist is needed.
170 Discraft Z Buzzz: Stable Shots that require some hyzer.
175 Discraft Z Wasp: Overstable Midrange for lots of hyzer.Windy days

Putters:(anything up to 300ft)
(2) 175 Innova 12x KC Pro Aviars: Main Putters
170 MVP Ion: Stable Driving putter,upshots with hyzer
175 Discraft ESP Zone: Overstable driving putter,sidearm and tomahawks.Windy days.
170 Discraft Soft APX: Understable driving putter.Upshots with touch.

Discs I'm looking at getting:
Discraft Elite X Cyclone: I'm thinking this may have a bit less fade than the ESP version.Might be a good fit in the bag.Plus I need a new one.My old ones are just way too flippy.
Discraft Pro D Cyclone: May be good for those straight shots with hardly any fade.
Discraft Elite X or Pro D Stratus: I'm still undecided on this one.Do you guys think it would be a good fit in my bag?
Discraft ESP FLX Drone: I'm looking forward to getting this one.I'm thinking of replacing my Wasp for this disc and just using my Buzzz for those Wasp shots.

Thanks for looking and I'm open to any suggestions you guys have for the bag.
StarFirebird
Noob

Favorite Disc: Comet

Re: Critique my bag.

Postby JR » Fri Sep 07, 2012 6:48 am

Welcome. Some overlapping but with your power i'd pick something faster at least a Wraith. Most get slips they don't always notice with two finger grip. The crappy deal for me is that i get slips even with more fingers and i get the most distance with two fingers.
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Favorite Disc: About to ace

Postby StarFirebird » Sat Sep 08, 2012 5:47 am

JR wrote:Welcome. Some overlapping but with your power i'd pick something faster at least a Wraith. Most get slips they don't always notice with two finger grip. The crappy deal for me is that i get slips even with more fingers and i get the most distance with two fingers.

Which one(s) do I have overlap in?Just curious is all.

I have felt a Wraith before and it does feel good in the hand.I've always thought about purchasing one,but never got around to it.

The two finger grip is a grip I have to use.I have problem with my ring finger joint(cyst) and it becomes quite painful when I drive off the tee using 3 or 4 fingers.I do notice I have some slips everynow and then,but when it comes out clean it sounds pretty sweet.
StarFirebird
Noob

Postby JR » Sat Sep 08, 2012 3:02 pm

Glide/Comet and APX/Ion

Two fingers will have a harder time holding on to discs. That is why winder rimmed discs will introduce new problems. Even for thinner winged discs you wanna give yourself every advantage to holding on to the disc as late as possible while throwing it at the target. So tacky discs to the max. Medium stiffness Vibram rubber based discs and Discraft FLX discs are great. Better grip than base plastics. Is there anything that could be done to remove the cyst or at least the negative effects to gripping and throwing? Even though Gold Line River ain't that grippy vs the others it is ok and for me it flies farther than the Valk. It is very thin winged for the distance. Beast is a little longer than the Valk too and comes in grippy Pro but is wider winged. It is still very friendly to the hand vs the Wraith and the Pred bottom too.
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Postby StarFirebird » Sun Sep 09, 2012 3:59 am

JR wrote:Glide/Comet and APX/Ion

Two fingers will have a harder time holding on to discs. That is why winder rimmed discs will introduce new problems. Even for thinner winged discs you wanna give yourself every advantage to holding on to the disc as late as possible while throwing it at the target. So tacky discs to the max. Medium stiffness Vibram rubber based discs and Discraft FLX discs are great. Better grip than base plastics. Is there anything that could be done to remove the cyst or at least the negative effects to gripping and throwing? Even though Gold Line River ain't that grippy vs the others it is ok and for me it flies farther than the Valk. It is very thin winged for the distance. Beast is a little longer than the Valk too and comes in grippy Pro but is wider winged. It is still very friendly to the hand vs the Wraith and the Pred bottom too.

The Glide I can see as an overlap.I have noticed that I can get the Comet almost as far as my Glide.I was really only using the glide for some roller shots.

The APX is my flippy putter(did I mention it was a soft version?).I can throw it flat and it turns into a nice anhyzer I can throw it with hyzerflip and the thing flies straight as can be with no fade.The Ion is very stable for me and will not turn over unless I force it to.Very good disc for nice straight shots with fade or controlled hyzer shots.

The only way to remove my cyst is with surgery and I'm still on the fence on that one.

I do have 4 beasts.I took them out of the bag when I realized I can throw my Valkyries just as far with more control.It's probably a 10ft difference between the two.

I'm thinking of going out and getting me a Discraft Elite X Stratus tomorrow.I think it would do great with my bag.Do you think it's a good buy for my bag?
StarFirebird
Noob

Postby JR » Sun Sep 09, 2012 5:12 am

Save your money the Comet does everything better especially if you use the APX for short tight l>R shots.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Postby StarFirebird » Sun Sep 09, 2012 1:53 pm

Thanks JR.

After getting some suggestions from JR I've come to a conclusion of what my bag will be like.A few new buys coming soon and some added plastic.

The Glide will be coming out just because I can do the same shots with my Z Comet.I will not be getting a Drone.I feel that it would be overlapping my Discraft Zone and if I need more Distance my Discraft Wasp can cover the longer wind shots.After JR suggested no to the Stratus,I did some research and my Discraft X Comet will do the same shots that a Stratus will do.JR did mention something about a Wraith, for now I'm going to stick with my Valkyries for my big distance drives.I'm going to talk to one of my buddies and see if he has a Wraith for me to try out though.

I will however be getting me a Discraft X Cyclone and a Pro D Cyclone come tomorrow.Both 170 grams hopefully.

This is what my new bag will look like.

My Bag:

Distance Drivers:(380ft - 430ft)
175 Innova Echo Star Valkyrie: Overstable Driver,It's actually good in the wind.Forehand rollers,Tomahawks and sidearm.
173 Innova Champion 5x JK Pro Valkyrie: Stable Driver,forehand rollers
170 Innova Star Valkyrie: Straight Drives with little fade,Rollers
166 Innova Champion 5x JK Pro Valkyrie: Turnover Drives,Rollers
170 Discraft Z Predator: Utility,Overstable drives,Tomahawks,forehand rollers and sidearm.Very windy days.
NEW! 170 Discraft Z Predator: Very Seasoned.Going to work with this one and see how it flies.A buddy of mine met Cam Todd back in 2003 and this Predator was given to him,which was then given to me.

Fairway Drivers:(350 - 375ft)
170 Discraft ESP Cyclone: Stable to Overstable drives.S shots.
170 Discraft Elite X Cyclone: Beat up pretty good,Does well as a dogleg turnover driver,rollers.
170 Discraft Elite X Cyclone: Severely beat.Mainly used as a get out of trouble disc,where the flick of the wrist is needed.
NEW! 170 Discraft Elite X Cyclone - (Brand new) if memory serves me right,this disc will do well for those drives that need just a touch of fade at the end.
NEW! 170 Discraft Pro D Cyclone -(Brand New) I think this disc will be good for those drives that just need to go dead nuts straight with no fade.It may be very good at shorter Turnover drives with control.
NEW! 179 Innova DX Viper - Wind Fighter,Spike Hyzers and longer forehand upshots.Been meaning to put this back in the bag.

Midranges:(310ft - 340ft)
170 Discraft Z Comet: Straight drives,Slow Hyzers,Forehand Rollers
170 Discraft Elite X Comet: Straight drives into anhyzer.Turnover drives.
170 Discraft Elite X Comet: Severely beat.used for shorter get out of trouble shots,where flick of the wrist is needed.
170 Discraft Z Buzzz: Stable Shots that require some hyzer.
175 Discraft Z Wasp: Overstable Midrange for lots of hyzer.Sidearm,tomahawks.Windy days

Putters:(anything up to 300ft)
(2) 175 Innova 12x KC Pro Aviars: Main Putters
170 MVP Ion: Stable Driving putter,upshots with hyzer
175 Discraft ESP Zone: Overstable driving putter,sidearm and tomahawks.Windy days.
170 Discraft Soft APX: Understable driving putter.Upshots with touch.
StarFirebird
Noob

Postby JR » Mon Sep 10, 2012 10:16 am

Some may think that 4 putters are too much but used the way you do only the Ion may be redundant if you used the KC Aviars for the same shots. Fade is a little different.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Return to Bag Critique / Discussion