Disc Golf Myths

Disc Golf Talk

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Re: Disc Golf Myths

Postby jubuttib » Fri Sep 07, 2012 3:57 am

JR wrote:Floating weight Blizzards may have changed that.
No, they haven't. They might have messed up your timing though, I know they messed up mine for a while.
Parks wrote:If the posts on this forum are any indication, the PD is like a Teebird with sunshine coming out of its butthole so hard that it flies faster.
Anode|ION|JOKERi|MD2|FD|TD|PD|LEGENDa
jubuttib
Long Finnish Word

Favorite Disc: Orange FR P-Line MD2

Postby JR » Fri Sep 07, 2012 6:40 am

I wouldn't be so sure about that because it feels normal because i've thrown sub 150s for years. Of course working on finger strength and late acceleration matter too.
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Favorite Disc: About to ace

Postby andrew » Fri Sep 07, 2012 11:25 pm

My girlfriend generates very little power on her throw (but she's cute so who cares) and I can see that she griplocks if she uses anything other than a two-finger grip. But I don't know that you could throw 300 feet and griplock. At that distance, it seems to me the problem turns into OAT.
Wizards/Jokeri/Fuse/Buzzz/Gator/XLs/Teebirds/XXX/PDs

Disc Golf (n): A game in which a round plastic object is thrown into trees until it is beat in to resemble its preferred flight characteristics, at which point it is thrown into a lake.
andrew
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: PPD

Postby Jewdy » Sat Sep 08, 2012 7:39 pm

My whole point is that "griplocking" probably doesn't have to do with grip. It is more likely not pulling in a straight enough line into the apex, not creating sharp enough of an apex, or accelerating to early resulting in a slow down into the apex that allows you to hold onto the disc. By taking fingers off the disc you are just creating a weak enough grip to allow yourself to have flaws in your form.AKA- Treating the symptom not the disease.
Crank-Destroyers-Patriot-Rival-Firebird-Comets-Fugitive-Zone-Wizards
Jewdy
Noob

Favorite Disc: Wizard

Postby andrew » Sun Sep 09, 2012 3:32 pm

Yes, I agree telling someone to use a weaker grip to "fix" griplock is lazy advice at best. I sort of spent a couple rounds trying to get my girlfriend to eject the disc with more force but she seems to have fun just throwing it 100 feet so I gave up before getting on her nerves....

Tis a myth that giving advice is always helpful (to get back on topic).
Wizards/Jokeri/Fuse/Buzzz/Gator/XLs/Teebirds/XXX/PDs

Disc Golf (n): A game in which a round plastic object is thrown into trees until it is beat in to resemble its preferred flight characteristics, at which point it is thrown into a lake.
andrew
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: PPD

Previous

Return to General Discussion